Photo

Are there really that many Move players out there?

22 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• 1,604 posts

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011 10:29 AM

I was reading this review of yet another PS Move gun peripheral.

Posted Image

While I think this thing looks super cool I wonder what the market is for these things, I mean, how many Move players use them?

Most gaming websites seem to agree that the Move is a very niche (some say dead-on-arrival) PlayStation flavor of gaming yet the review above lists at least three separate gun peripherals and the popularity of those who use them in Killzone 3 and SOCOM and Resistance 3. Are these really selling? Is Move actually finally gaining some momentum?

I have a PS3 but chose not to get Move because I already own a Wii and according to my friend with a Move the Wii has better accuracy. And when I hear so many gamers declaring Move basically a dead platform I'm glad I haven't bought one.

But now there's all these gun attachments so it makes me wonder if maybe Move is gradually getting successful.

Anyone care to comment?

#2 Metal Jesus OFFLINE  

Metal Jesus

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011 11:16 AM

I'd be really surprised if the Move takes off. I own a PS3 and can't justify the cost of the controller ($80 for controller & navigator) plus EyeToy ($40) to make it all work. Sure, SOCOM 4 would be cool to play with it... but most people agree that for the price, you could just get a Wii and TONS of great games.

It's dead Jim.

#3 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

River Patroller

• 4,562 posts

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011 11:35 AM

Wow, so I can take a new flavor of 'lightbulb gun' into MAG and get my butt handed to me by every entry-level player with a controller? *And* it only costs me a ton extra to do it? Sign me right up.

No, I really think the key to specialty controllers is to make them somehow better than a gamepad. Unless you're a music game--they somehow get away with a lot in that area.

#4 onmode-ky OFFLINE  

onmode-ky

Dragonstomper

• 550 posts

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011 1:13 PM

I recently got a Move starter set (1 Move controller, 1 Eye, 1 game) when it was an Amazon.com Lightning Deal for half retail price. Since I'm not interested in golf games, I'm planning to sell the included game unopened, which should cut my cost for the hardware to between $20-$30. Even without a sale price like this, the starter set is still the best way to go to get a Move setup, if you sell the parts you don't want/need.

I've never used a Wii Motion+ controller, but the Move is definitely far more accurate than a standard Wii remote. In my experience with the Wii, I constantly get misread inputs seriously screwing up my target accuracy, but not so thus far with the Move (mind you, the only things I've played with it so far don't involve lots of large motions, but it's definitely quite good with small-scale precision). Also, the light-ball tracking with the Move is much easier to handle than the Wii's infrared pointer system.

As for how widespread it is, I really can't tell, but it doesn't seem anywhere near "dead on arrival" level.

onmode-ky

#5 HammR25 OFFLINE  

HammR25

River Patroller

• 4,411 posts
  • Happy Fun Ball

Posted Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:44 AM

Apparently in June Sony had shippped 8.8 million of them to US retailers at that point.

#6 SlammedNiss OFFLINE  

SlammedNiss

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:13 PM

according to my friend with a Move the Wii has better accuracy....
Anyone care to comment?

Yes, I will comment. Your friend has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. I've used both and the Move is almost dead on for accuracy, unlike the Wiimote. That being said, I still wouldn't buy Move, no matter how discounted it was, even if I did own a PS3.

#7 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

Stargunner

• 1,490 posts

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:50 AM

I've only played the pack-in Move game (forget what it's called, but it has frisbee golf, bocce, and others). I was a skeptic going in, and frankly didn't even want to like it, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it seemed to work. I actually found myself legitimately enjoying the games. In contrast, whenever I play Wii, it's usually at social gatherings just to go with the flow and participate; typically, I can't wait for the games to be over with. I don't know if it is due to better game design on the part of the PS3, better control system design, or perhaps a little bit of both... but based on the limited motion control titles for both systems that I've played, the Move is hands down the winner.

#8 TheGameCollector OFFLINE  

TheGameCollector

Dragonstomper

• 936 posts

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:13 AM

I'll get a move just to play the newest Ape Escape game, but only if I collect and beat all the previous Ape Escape games that came out before it first. I haven't even finished Ape Escape 1 on PS1 yet.

#9 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,604 posts

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 AM

Well this doesn't inspire confidence. Fire sale perhaps?

#10 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

River Patroller

• 4,562 posts

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:12 AM

Well this doesn't inspire confidence. Fire sale perhaps?

Awesome. At that price, I might give this a run.
At least a brief run.

#11 Cap5750 OFFLINE  

Cap5750

Stargunner

• 1,430 posts

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:58 PM

I went as far as running into Gamestop last Friday to have another look. I just couldn't do it. Sure, it might be cool twenty years from now to say..."Hey check out this (RARE!) controller I have for the PS3.".

But I just couldn't talk myself into it. I mean, I gotta my extra controllers, a camera, a charger and games.

I'm leaning towards a Kinect. No controllers needed and you can hook it up to your PC and write your own stuff for it. A guy I work with brought one in and hooked it up to his laptop. He gave out candy if we came and tried some program where things are falling on the screen and you made your little stickman hit them. I think we had to score 100 points or something. At the end of the week, he showed us the video he recorded. Funny funny stuff! Especially when I was facing away from the camera. I noticed that I was doing better by "shakin my rump". Like I said, lots of laughs.

#12 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 7,777 posts

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:09 PM

Frisbee golf on the Move? That's cool. Love that "sport". Talking about the one with the real heavy weight frisbees, none of that cheater disc stuff for limp wrists that is. :rolling:

#13 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,063 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 PM

...Kinect...A guy gave out candy...some program where things are falling on the screen and you made your little stickman hit them...."shakin my rump"

The future is now! ...and $150.

#14 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,273 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:24 PM

I snagged a Move wand off Amazon today for $24.99. I already have the EyeToy and I heard you can just use a regular controller for the chuck (or whatever it's called) I think I also ordered some Sports game with it. That had archery on the front. I dunno how many of these things are out there, but +1. (If it's anything like the Wiimote, don't expect it to get a whole lot of use)

#15 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,050 posts

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:29 PM

I use the Move for party game stuff (though I wish there were more games...) and it's awesome in that regard. :)

As far as actual sensing/positional accuracy it blows the still-pieceofshit-wii+ controller out of the water...

#16 Necron99 OFFLINE  

Necron99

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2011 9:11 AM

So far, the Move has not impressed me at all. When Sony announced the Move, they said several times that the Move would has a good library of games and not piles of shovel-ware like the Wii. There isn't piles, but so far all I see is shovel-ware crap or newer titles that are "Move Compatible"(really it's just put in last minute and doesn't work with the game)

I'm sure both Move and Kinect are better hardware than the Wii, but ultimately, I was tired of the Gimmick 2 months after the Wii was released.

#17 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,604 posts

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:26 PM

Just a little update on Move sales.
According to Joystiq, Sony only "shipped" 1 million Moves in the past seven months, not "sold" just "shipped".

#18 rockman_x_2002 OFFLINE  

rockman_x_2002

Stargunner

• 1,587 posts

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:41 PM

The Move is an alright controller. I just got one Christmas, but it wasn't a "oh wow must have" decision. It was more of a "Hmm... gift card to burn... I guess I'll try this" decision for me. Mostly because it was marked down somewhat and came with two games.

That being said, there's no physical problem with the Move. It works as advertised, even if it does look a bit goofy to use. The problem is it's just too little too late, and the pack-in sports games doesn't have a lot of the iconic sports people look for like Wii Sports had (Bocce? I mean really, bocce? Not bowling?)

#19 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,273 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2012 11:33 AM

(If it's anything like the Wiimote, don't expect it to get a whole lot of use)

Still have yet to even open the Move controller!! I really need to, my girlfriend got me DeBlob 2 for Christmas, mainly because it was a 3D game, but I also see it's move enabled so I could kill two birds with one stone. I also wouldn't mind trying out Heavy Rain with the Move.

#20 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 7,184 posts

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012 9:56 AM

(If it's anything like the Wiimote, don't expect it to get a whole lot of use)

Still have yet to even open the Move controller!! I really need to, my girlfriend got me DeBlob 2 for Christmas, mainly because it was a 3D game, but I also see it's move enabled so I could kill two birds with one stone. I also wouldn't mind trying out Heavy Rain with the Move.

Do you have Resident Evil 5? I heard that game is MUCH better with the Move.

#21 Jimmy Yakapucci OFFLINE  

Jimmy Yakapucci

Dragonstomper

• 567 posts

Posted Sat Jan 7, 2012 1:53 PM

I was just given a Move set-up. A buddy of mine got the 'Double O' edition of Goldeneye for Christmas and he likes it better with the controller. He gave me everything else that came with it except the game. I now have the controller pair, the camera, and the gun for the Move. I was going to look for games to play with it and had forgotten about RE5. I had been wanting that one anyway. Guess I might need to break out the GS gift card.

#22 NinjaWarrior OFFLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,241 posts

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 PM

How is the Move doing in Sales??

#23 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Moonsweeper

• 374 posts

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 PM

I bought a controller when it first came out, but haven't purchased any move only games. It just doesn't work with my setup. I have a projector and the PS3 behind me and if you stand up, it blocks the screen.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users