IGNORED

Best Atari ST games that were released in the US

Zedex

I wish I could answer that. If your looking at getting an SC1224 monitor with the 1040ST it really doesnt matter if the game is PAL or NTSC.

The game disks are really easy to make on a Windows XP computer that has a floppy drive. All you need is a supply of 720K disks.

Just about everything is available for download. :)

How would PAL games work on an NTSC machine? It seems like with every other classic computer (C64, A800XL, Amiga, etc.) you get all sorts of problems with running PAL games in NTSC. Thank goodness C64 and Atari 800XL both have equally good libraries of games here in America as the do in Europe.

I don't know the exact technical details but very few games will have a problem with NTSC, games that use some special technique like sync scrolling or border killing. The only difference will be an about 13% speed up in music when the vbl is used for it and a bit faster gameplay if the game doesn't correct for this. I've got this when playing ST games on the falcon and it's no big deal really.

Actually some games might run a bit more choppy, some might run faster, due to there being more cycles/frame in a PAL frame than an NTSC frame.

ie, anything that takes nearly 1 frame of cycles to run in PAL will most likely stutter and be choppy in NTSC. Anything that uses less than 1 frame of cycles (NTSC) will run faster due to the refresh rate.

But as the vast majority of ST games are >1vbl (ie, 25hz) you'll be fine for the most part.

PS. You don't notice the slowdown on the falcon, as the 68030 is faster than the 68000, so even things that were close to a full frame on the ST are nowehere near on the F30.

How would PAL games work on an NTSC machine? It seems like with every other classic computer (C64, A800XL, Amiga, etc.) you get all sorts of problems with running PAL games in NTSC. Thank goodness C64 and Atari 800XL both have equally good libraries of games here in America as the do in Europe.

The ST itself really has no significant PAL vs. NTSC differences, as it can be switched by software (i.e. the ROMs in US vs. European models) from 50Hz to 60 Hz - several games even had this switch implemented (usually F5 toggled to 50Hz and F6 to 60 Hz). The only differences besides the ROMs are the PSU and RF modulator (if existing in that model). I also doubt the Amiga has PAL vs. NTSC issues, as IIRC like the ST, it has no problem to switch from 50Hz to 60Hz and back in software. But finding a monitor (besides SC1224/Commodore 1084) that will sync down to 50Hz vertical frequency may prove problematic on your side of the pond, and games may of course be written for a specific screen refresh rate.

Thorsten

Gauntlet 1 (NOT 2 EVER...LEAVE THE SEQUEL!) by Mindscape = NTSC version of the best arcade game ever sold for the ST. :)

Wow, funnily enough, we all liked 2 better here. The amazing amount of speech samples,

4 player options, gameplay, etc, etc,...We liked 1, but just gave 2 a slight nod over

it...

Gauntlet 1 (NOT 2 EVER...LEAVE THE SEQUEL!) by Mindscape = NTSC version of the best arcade game ever sold for the ST. :)

Wow, funnily enough, we all liked 2 better here. The amazing amount of speech samples,

4 player options, gameplay, etc, etc,...We liked 1, but just gave 2 a slight nod over

it...

I'm with you. 2 is much better. 1 is very slow on a standard ST.

So can an NTSC Atari 1040ST with an SC 1224 run most UK games like Oids, Gods, Vroom, Stunt Car Racer, Elite, Mercenary, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Kick Off, Bubble Bobble, etc.? I don't want to have to spend the money on a PAL machine, but I really want some ST action.

I'm with the majority here - almost all games run fine, regardless of whether or not

they are PAL or NTSC.

On a few games, I have noticed just a bit difference in screen size, maybe speed, and

sometimes even maybe a tad bit more "flicker" but nothing major.

There are actually a couple of apps that are supposed to switch, just so you can

run at 50 or 60 cycles, depending on what you need. I've never had to have one,

as far as I can remember.

So can an NTSC Atari 1040ST with an SC 1224 run most UK games like Oids, Gods, Vroom, Stunt Car Racer, Elite, Mercenary, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Kick Off, Bubble Bobble, etc.? I don't want to have to spend the money on a PAL machine, but I really want some ST action.

Yes, a NTSC ST with a SC1224 plays PAL and NTSC games just fine.

I don't have a SC1224 (yet) but I've asked enough times to know. :)

I'm currently using a RGB scart cable to VGA converter and am lucky enough that my converter and monitor switch between PAL and NTSC with no troubles.

Still, I'm working on getting an SC1224 just to have the matching monitor :)

I'm with the majority here - almost all games run fine, regardless of whether or not

they are PAL or NTSC.

On a few games, I have noticed just a bit difference in screen size, maybe speed, and

sometimes even maybe a tad bit more "flicker" but nothing major.

There are actually a couple of apps that are supposed to switch, just so you can

run at 50 or 60 cycles, depending on what you need. I've never had to have one,

as far as I can remember.

When we imported games from europe back in the day most shipped with a 2nd disck containing that 50/60hz utility

As has been replied already, an US ST will play most (not all) european games.

In first place, please note that it is not (exactly) NTSC vs PAL. Many STs don't have modulators or anything else that would qualify as either NTSC or PAL. It is mostly, but not only, an issue of the vertical refresh rate being 50Hz vs 60Hz. As has been said, this can be controlled by software (unlike say, the Atari 8-bit). But this means that in some cases (mostly originals, rarely with cracks) you have to use one of those 60/50Hz switchers before booting the game.

This is the main issue, but not the only one. There are a few games that are region locked, and some check the country flag in the ROM. If the country doesn't match, they refuse to run. But they are very few, and of course, only originals.

There is a very minor issue of the clock frequency. It is slightly different between US and European models. This is hardly a problem, because there are differences between model variations as well (ST vs STE or Mega).

Regarding the original question in the subject. I thought there was a concensus that the best American game is, of course, Dungeon Master. Many would say it is the best overall game. :)

Actually, Thorsten, the Amiga does indeed have NTSC/PAL differences. I've an A1200 that not only shows PAL as the default monitor-type, but also refuses to give color on ANYTHING but my NEC XM2960. Mostly due to the color encoder for composite out. I think the same on ST machines could be said for the STm/STFm machines.

Does anyone have a 50/60 Hz disk spare for sale or trade? How much would they go for on ebay?

Do you have a windows xp computer with a floppy drive?

I can attach the app here and you can make the disk yourself.

Look here to read how. Its very easy.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179678-new-to-st-any-advice/page__view__findpost__p__2248915

Regarding the original question in the subject. I thought there was a concensus that the best American game is, of course, Dungeon Master. Many would say it is the best overall game. :)

It would be hard indeed to top Dungeon Master, and its sequel (or add-on, as it were), Chaos Strikes Back.

There are many titles were mentioning though - I've always been very partial to the Ultima series, specifically

Ultima 3 Exodus, Ultima 4 Quest of the Avatar, and Ultima 5 Warriors Of Destiny.

Actually, Thorsten, the Amiga does indeed have NTSC/PAL differences. I've an A1200 that not only shows PAL as the default monitor-type, but also refuses to give color on ANYTHING but my NEC XM2960. Mostly due to the color encoder for composite out. I think the same on ST machines could be said for the STm/STFm machines.

Any Amiga, like any ST, has RGB output as well (while not every ST has composite). There is no such thing as colour encoding in RGB mode, it's only screen refresh rate that's different. So even if said Amiga doesn't give you colour through composite, it will give you colour on a Commodore CRT monitor through RGB, regardless of the screen mode settings of that Amiga. Other problems can only result from significant CPU or bus speed differences, but anything I found using Google are claims that you just need an Amiga with Fat Agnus and you can switch from 50Hz to 60Hz and back in software ("Degrader" is mentioned as a working switching software).

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther