IGNORED

Is my FB2 a fake?

Hey All,

So I opened up a FB2 I had kicking around the basement to do a cart port mod as I'm bored and I think I

might have a pirate unit. First thing I noticed right away compaired to other (known to be legit) FB2 units

I've opened up is this has 2 epoxy globs where as other units have had one epoxy glob and one little pcb with

the epoxy glob of the game rom on top of it. Picture should explain what I mean better.

Anyhow can this thing be cart port modded correctly or is it just a POS? I don't want to follow the on board

mod directions as god only knows the might be all wrong if it's just a fly by night version. :( With that said

if there is a schematic around of this version of the console getting a cart mod I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Shawn

Edited by Shawn Sr.

wow.. that is odd looking. from the pics it looks like the cart port pads are allready tinned. my rev b wasnt tinned, and the iron made them all make a loud popping sound when i touched them. still, i go the cart port installed. good luck on yours. i wonder.. it probably wont have the pad20 problems rev b had. thanks for UL the pic.

The fake FB2 motherboards do NOT have the contact point marking silkscreened on them for soldering a cartridge port. Seems the pirate engineers didn't know what the numbers were for so they omitted them from their design...

Also another way to tell a fake FB2 motherboard is look at the Atari logo, if it looks like the lo-res logo from the Flashback menu and not the tapered info-fuji logo normally on all of the other FB2 motherboards, its a fake.

post-23-0-46517200-1316010862_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-43282800-1316010837_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-51812800-1316010915_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-76379900-1316010947_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-83910100-1316010980_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-31533900-1316011037_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-90736900-1316011061_thumb.jpg

Curt

Hey All,

So I opened up a FB2 I had kicking around the basement to do a cart port mod as I'm bored and I think I

might have a pirate unit. First thing I noticed right away compaired to other (known to be legit) FB2 units

I've opened up is this has 2 epoxy globs where as other units have had one epoxy glob and one little pcb with

the epoxy glob of the game rom on top of it. Picture should explain what I mean better.

Anyhow can this thing be cart port modded correctly or is it just a POS? I don't want to follow the on board

mod directions as god only knows the might be all wrong if it's just a fly by night version. :( With that said

if there is a schematic around of this version of the console getting a cart mod I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Shawn

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...