Forum Upgrade to 3.2

422 replies to this topic

#51 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,756 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:50 PM

Also, would it be possible to stack the "# topics, # replies" and the last poster info to make more space for the forum description? (see attachment)

EDIT: also, maybe make the line between the forums darker?

Attached Thumbnails

• mainForumPage.jpg

Edited by Emehr, Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:51 PM.

#52 Marc Oberhäuser OFFLINE  

Marc Oberhäuser

Stargunner

• 1,326 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:53 PM

I think the new look is ugly as hell, but hey, I am a retro guy...

#53 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

River Patroller

• 3,928 posts
  • Commodore Chaos Knight

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:00 PM

Albert said the usual skin will be back shortly... and I was also going to ask about the "mark all posts read" being missing too, but found it under "Mark Community Read" at the bottom, and you choose which one you want.

Edited by Mayhem, Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:01 PM.

#54 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:18 PM

BTW: I had avatars disabled, but they are displayed now. Bug?

I'm pretty sure there is a way to turn Avatars off. I will look when I get home.

EDIT: A lot of settings seem to be lost or not possible anymore.

No, they have just moved things around. For instance, the choice of which editor to use (straight text or HTML). Instead of having an explicit setting, if you toggle the mode in the editor itself the forum will remember that. I know you can also disable individual user's signatures or hide them all (I think by clicking on the signature or something along that line--can't look here as I'm using the mobile skin at the moment on an iPad).

..Al

#55 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 PM

Also, would it be possible to stack the "# topics, # replies" and the last poster info to make more space for the forum description? (see attachment)

Yes, I'm going to work on making the forum description wider so the main index is not as tall.

EDIT: also, maybe make the line between the forums darker?

I'm also going to futz around with the colors a bit. :)

..Al

#56 CRTGAMER OFFLINE  

CRTGAMER

Chopper Commander

• 227 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 PM

Unfortunately the Javascript is not going to go away, at least for the default skin. It's used pretty heavily now, and should render fairly fast on any modern browser on a relatively modern computer. Having said that, I can investigate installing a "Light" skin that uses much less Javascript. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Change Theme" link, you can then choose "IP.Board Mobile" which should be a fair bit faster on that iMac.

You can turn off the "WYSIWYG" editor by clicking the on/off switch in the upper-left corner of the editor window:

The forum will remember this setting the next time you load up the editor.

..Al

Thanks, I turned off the "WYWYSIWYG". The cellphone "IP.Board Mobile" theme is faster,but not enough info. Looking forward to the classic Atari Age Skin as an option.

#57 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:23 PM

Are you going to put the links back to the AtariAge pages back? IE 2600, 5200, 7800, Store, etc?

That is my intent, yes.

..Al

#58 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:25 PM

I take it out profile photos are gone, and we just have our Avatars now?

Yes, Invision merged the functionality of avatars and photos. Now there really are just profile photos and they are used everywhere in the forum where an avatar or photo was previously used. It was rather disjointed before--your profile photo was used in the upper-right corner, on your profile page and in the Blog module. The Avatar was used in forum posts and to show your friends on your profile page. It's better now with just the one photo, in my opinion. If you want additional photos, you can always create an album and put them there (which is easily accessible from your profile page).

..Al

#59 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:27 PM

It used to be that if I clicked on a thread from the View New Content page, it would take me to the most recent unread post in that thread. Now it takes me to the beginning of the thread. Can the previous behavior be restored?

If you click the small blue icon next to the thread title, that will take you to the most recent post. This icon also changes depending on the nature of the thread. For instance, if it's a thread you've posted in, it will be a star instead of a circle. I think it has a few other states as well.

..Al

#60 Eyvind Bernhardsen OFFLINE  

Eyvind Bernhardsen

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:28 PM

I like the look of the new mobile theme, but I can't use it since it doesn't have the "Mark forum as read" button any more. Would it be possible to reinstate that button?

#61 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:44 PM

I like the look of the new mobile theme, but I can't use it since it doesn't have the "Mark forum as read" button any more. Would it be possible to reinstate that button?

That's an odd omission, which I just confirmed. I'll add it tonight.

..Al

#62 Mitch OFFLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,057 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:56 PM

I know someone mentioned this already but it would be really nice to have the hide avatar function back. Both in threads and the main forum list.

Mitch

#63 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,071 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:03 PM

New board looks great, but the white background is a bit to white and bright for me. To heavy on the eyes, to read for a long time.

#64 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,813 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:13 PM

It used to be that if I clicked on a thread from the View New Content page, it would take me to the most recent unread post in that thread. Now it takes me to the beginning of the thread. Can the previous behavior be restored?

If you click the small blue icon next to the thread title, that will take you to the most recent post. This icon also changes depending on the nature of the thread. For instance, if it's a thread you've posted in, it will be a star instead of a circle. I think it has a few other states as well.

..Al

Ah. Thanks.

#65 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,813 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:27 PM

I may be missing something here, but where did all the formatting option buttons and emoticons go that normally surround the reply box?

#66 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,054 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:31 PM

Very nice!

Although I really like the AtariAge skin, I wouldn't sweat it too much just using the default. The skin ain't why we're here anyway....AtariAge is!

:)

#67 CRTGAMER OFFLINE  

CRTGAMER

Chopper Commander

• 227 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:42 PM

What I really don't like is the Forum Pages take longer to load then the root Atari Age section!

Please don't change anything there, I love the quick page loads:

http://www.atariage.com/

Edited by CRTGAMER, Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:45 PM.

#68 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:46 PM

I may be missing something here, but where did all the formatting option buttons and emoticons go that normally surround the reply box?

They are there, at least when you are using the editor in WYSIWG mode. I think the emoticon icon is at the bottom, if you click on it it then shows the emoticons. I'm using the mobile skin at the moment, so I will have to check this later today when I'm on a real computer.

..Al

#69 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 PM

What I really don't like is the Forum Pages take longer to load then the root Atari Age section!

Please don't change anything there, I love the quick page loads:

http://www.atariage.com/

The forum is quite a bit more sophisticated than the rest of AtariAge. More database queries, more complex CSS/HTML, larger overall page sizes, and a lot of Javascript. Any of these can cause the page load times to be slower, most especially the Javascript on an older machine using an older browser. Huge strides have been made in terms of Javascript execution speed on modern browsers--I can't imagine using this site with a copy of Internet Explorer or Firefox that's a few generations old. Some of it is also the server--I've seen a few database errors caused by the server being overloaded a bit. Will probably require a bit of fine tuning before things completely settle down. But when I was using the site this morning, it was very quick (this was on a Mac Pro with a 20Mb internet connection).

..Al

#70 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,813 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:53 PM

How do I get the WYSIWYG mode?

This is all I see when I click reply to topic.

Hmm. I can't seem to add an attachment to this post. I can attach it fine, but when I click "Add to Post" nothing happens.

And still can't edit posts either.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 2.png

#71 Shamus ONLINE  

Shamus

Moonsweeper

• 414 posts
  • Moo, er, Roar!

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 PM

The main problem I've been having is that there seems to be a minimum width set on the page, which makes it quite difficult to read on smaller form factors (like 1024x768). Is there any way to fix this, other than going to the mobile version? :)

#72 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

River Patroller

• 4,628 posts
  • 5200 HSC Mod

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:49 PM

There is a problem with Quotes not keeping all the information, see right above.

This is a known bug that has already been fixed in the next version, 3.2.3, which should be out this week. There are already 200 bugs fixed, and a few new improvements as well.

Anytime one has less clicks to do the better.
Maybe put "My Content" back as an immediate top page click? Even posting a Reply is an extra unnecessary click and waiting for another slow page load. To preview my post, I have to first click "Post More Reply Options" and wait for another page to load, then click again to preview my reply.

Yes, I will likely add a "My Content" link back to the main page as I dive in to make a more "AtariAge-esque" skin. As for the reply clicks, I see the preview right away when I click "More Reply Options", so this is no more clicks than before. The "in-line" editor is more full-featured than before (It's a commercial, third-party editor), so you shouldn't need to go into the full post editor as often (unless you always like to preview your posts).

I like the older layout better, it seemed to load the pages faster, critical on my older retro iMac and anyone who has low online speeds.

How do others feel about this?
Please do anything that can speed up FORUM page loads! Get rid of the bloat such as popups, animation, and any unnecessary Javascript.

Unfortunately the Javascript is not going to go away, at least for the default skin. It's used pretty heavily now, and should render fairly fast on any modern browser on a relatively modern computer. Having said that, I can investigate installing a "Light" skin that uses much less Javascript. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Change Theme" link, you can then choose "IP.Board Mobile" which should be a fair bit faster on that iMac.

One example
Boldface font previews delays the edit window vs the older and faster "{b}commands{/b}" routine. The older Edit with all the commands are easier to copy and paste to send my reply to other forum sites. Useful if an extended Thread such as a in depth Guide.

You can turn off the "WYSIWYG" editor by clicking the on/off switch in the upper-left corner of the editor window:

The forum will remember this setting the next time you load up the editor.

..Al

I can't even get the editor to load. Only the basic one loads, but just gives an error box. :(

#73 nathanallan OFFLINE  

nathanallan

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:00 PM

I am looking for the "mark forums as read" link/button.

Also, when I have read the particular thread, it would be nice if they wopuld be marked as read instead of just gone if I hit the link "View new content" at the top.

#74 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• 2,757 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 PM

Al, since upgrade, my browser slows down on atariage forum page to the point its barely usable
also - i've found it very intrusive to the posts i'm sending - it tryes to correct mistakes user mades while actually introducing others

ie if you put a picture link into img /img command, and by mistake instead /img use /url, result after editing is uncorrectable link ending with /url you can correct to /img, but if you do so, you'll end up with sometihng like (img)(url)link(/url)(/img) and it won't work ;)

i miss old layout, and if you can, please make some lightweight version of it - if not for "less fortunate" users like me (still on firefox 4), then for smartphones

#75 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 29,790 posts

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:26 PM

How do I get the WYSIWYG mode?

This is all I see when I click reply to topic.

Hmm. I can't seem to add an attachment to this post. I can attach it fine, but when I click "Add to Post" nothing happens

The editor is definitely not loading for you. What browser/OS are you using? Can you look for a Javascript error console? There is probably a Javascript error that would help in debugging this issue.

And still can't edit posts either.

That's an issue I need to address on my end.

I can't even get the editor to load. Only the basic one loads, but just gives an error box. :(

Can you tell me which Browser/OS you're using? If you can find a Javascript error console and enable it before loading that page, would be useful to see if there's an error coming up.

The main problem I've been having is that there seems to be a minimum width set on the page, which makes it quite difficult to read on smaller form factors (like 1024x768). Is there any way to fix this, other than going to the mobile version? :)

I believe Invision designed this skin to work at a minimum width of 1024. How big is your window? Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thanks,

..Al

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users