IGNORED

Forum Upgrade to 3.2

Albert

i miss old layout, and if you can, please make some lightweight version of it - if not for "less fortunate" users like me (still on firefox 4), then for smartphones

There is already a mobile (lightweight) version for smartphones. You should see it automatically when using you're phone. I used it for a while earlier today on my iPad on a 3G connection and it works fairly well. If you're not seeing it, please let me know what phone you're using.

Firefox 4 isn't really that old (it came out last year). At any rate, I'll look for a lightweight skin that uses less Javascript. I don't think this skin is actually very heavy at all, but it does use a lot of JS and CSS, which will be slower on older machines and browsers.

..Al

Also, when I have read the particular thread, it would be nice if they wopuld be marked as read instead of just gone if I hit the link "View new content" at the top.

If you click "View New Content" and then on the left click "New since my last visit", you will get the behavior you want. The forum will then remember this the next time you "View New Content".

..Al

• Like 1

The editor is definitely not loading for you. What browser/OS are you using? Can you look for a Javascript error console? There is probably a Javascript error that would help in debugging this issue.

I'm using Camino 2.0.9 on this particular computer (OS X 10.4.11). Camino should auto-log java errors to console.log, but nothing is being reported. I just tried Safari and the editor loads fine... a little slowly, but fine.

I see people saying stuff about the "skin". No clue as to what that is. I Liked the the last version of this website much better than this one though. In fact it was awesome. None of the functions that I always used before are any easier now. Sorry, but you did ask for comments.

The "skin" is the visual appearance of the forum. Right now it's mostly just the default skin that ships with the forum. But I will be working on it a bit to make it closer to the earlier skin before the upgrade.

..Al

I'm using Camino 2.0.9 on this particular computer (OS X 10.4.11). Camino should auto-log java errors to console.log, but nothing is being reported. I just tried Safari and the editor loads fine... a little slowly, but fine.

Just downloaded and installed Camino 2.0.9, and I'm seeing the same behavior as you. The editor simply doesn't load. Looking at the one of the CKEditor sites, here's what they say about browser compatibility:

In the browser side instead, it has been developed to be compatible with the browsers that dominate the market, namely Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera. Even the old Internet Explorer 6 is compatible with.

Apparently not Camino, though. However, the Wikipedia page for CKEditor does state it's compatible with Camino 1.0+.

I posted this with Camino and I see several visual problems with the skin. A search on Invision's site and bug database reveals only a few scant matches, so I'm guessing very few people test the forum against Camino.

I'll file a bug on Invision's site, but I can tell you this will not be a priority for them to fix.

..Al

So how do you get "my posts" going? Or maybe mine is just buggy...

I'm clicking on my name on the top right, then "My content", then it shows me a list with a whole bunch of posts from 2001 :lol: And clicking "descending" or "ascending" seem to do nothing to change it.

Nope, not just you, that's screwed up for me also. However, if you click on "My Topics" or "My Posts", it seems to work better (although the "Ascending" and "Descending" don't seem to work). Going to look on Invision's site for this issue now and if I can't find anything I will be posting a rant about this topic. Unbelievable that this is broken.

..Al

Fortunately the "My Content" bug has already been reported and fixed:

http://community.inv...arch-is-broken/

It's fixed in version 3.2.3 of the software (I installed 3.2.2 yesterday), which I expect Invision to release this week. I'll install it here as soon as I've seen some reports of other forum admins installing it without armageddon occurring.

..Al

Would like to get this working on Camino though because I'm not switching to Safari over this issue.

Just curious why you use Camino over another browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome)? Chrome is my first choice, followed by Firefox. I've never been a big fan of Safari.

..Al

I prefer Camino because it's an OS X-specific browser (Cocoa APIs instead of XUL). To me, it feels and behaves more like a Mac app than do Firefox and Chrome, or even Safari. And as a practical matter, Camino allows me to cmd-shift-click links and open them as new windows in the background. Frankly, if I were unable to do this one thing, I would find web-browsing to be more of a chore than it's worth. ;)

Interestingly, the editor does work fine on CKEditor's site:

http://ckeditor.com/demo

Which means Invision should be able to fix this issue.

Edit: Filed a bug.

..Al

The "CKeditor undefinded" error that I'm seeing when I try to edit posts probably explains why I can't do that either.

Thanks for looking into this. I hope Invision fixes the problem in short order.

I can't even get the editor to load. Only the basic one loads, but just gives an error box. :(

Can you tell me which Browser/OS you're using? If you can find a Javascript error console and enable it before loading that page, would be useful to see if there's an error coming up.

..Al

I'm using Windows XP. I know absolutely nothing about operating systems and functions other than I turn it on and it runs. I don't even own this computer, I just have unlimited use of it. ;)

Here's a screenshot of my browser. Never had this problem before. And here I thought fixed width layouts died with Web 1.0. :P ;)

Yes, I tried the mobile skin, and it lacks a lot of functionality--which is exactly what you would expect for an interface geared towards a phone with a touch screen. In other words, not an option. :)

post-4305-0-09990100-1316395860_thumb.png

Edited by Shamus

Here's a screenshot of my browser. Never had this problem before. And here I thought fixed width layouts died with Web 1.0. :P ;)

Well, it's not a fixed-width layout, as the content does expand to the width of your browser window. However, it does have a minimum width, which is probably around 1,000 pixels (I seem to remember a discussion about this on Invision's site a while back). Looking at your screenshot your browser window appears to be 839 pixels wide. Just looked at the CSS and the min-width is actually set to 960 pixels:

#content, .main_width {
margin: 0 auto;
/* Uncomment for fixed */
/*width: 980px;*/
/* Fluid */
width: 87% !important;
min-width: 960px;
}

This could certainly be changed, but it may cause various elements of the page to crash into each other--most notably the tabs at the top, but there are probably other issues that would crop up since the skin designer would be assuming a minimum of 960 pixels to work with.

I will be installing additional skins and will make them available to everyone. When I play around with an AtariAge themed skin, I can also look into reducing the min-width.

..Al

I'm using Windows XP. I know absolutely nothing about operating systems and functions other than I turn it on and it runs. I don't even own this computer, I just have unlimited use of it. ;)

The main reason I ask is it would allow me to reproduce it and potentially file a bug against the issue so Invision can fix it. If you can look to see what web browser you're using as well as the version (should be in the "About" window, which you should be able to find in the menus), that would be a big help.

Thanks,

..Al

BTW: I had avatars disabled, but they are displayed now. Bug?

After doing some hunting on Invision's site, the ability to disable Avatars has been removed. The rationale was probably that since they've "eliminated" Avatars (they are your user photo now) and they are used all over the freakin' place, that it would be more problematic to allow people to disable them than it's worth, as then you have to design your pages to work with and without the images in place.

If you're using AdBlocker (or something similar), you could block these two locations where the images are coming from (not sure this is all of them, but would be easy to figure out if you see more after blocking these):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/uploads/profile/
http://www.atariage..../uploads/av-*.*

..Al

Fortunately the "My Content" bug has already been reported and fixed:

http://community.inv...arch-is-broken/

It's fixed in version 3.2.3 of the software (I installed 3.2.2 yesterday), which I expect Invision to release this week. I'll install it here as soon as I've seen some reports of other forum admins installing it without armageddon occurring.

..Al

Well funnily enough I was clicking around the menus and noticed clicking the "My content I follow" link under your name brings up what looks like exactly what I'm looking for. i.e. forum posts I posted in, ordered by date with most recent on top. I don't know if it truly is (or just looks like it) but so far so good. :)