IGNORED

Forum Upgrade to 3.2

Albert

won't let me cut'n paste from the about page but:

Windows Explorer ver. 6.00.2900.5512(xpsp.080413-2105)

date installed: 08/04/2004

Computer was bought sometime around then. Owner refuses to upgrade as they don't trust the new version 8.

Edited by zylon

Computer was bought sometime around then. Owner refuses to upgrade as they don't trust the new version 8.

That is Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP Service Pack 3. Javascript is horribly slow in that browser, and its rendering engine is light years behind modern browsers. I'm actually surprised you can browse the forum at all. I don't really have any good advice I can give you, except that I'll look for a lightweight skin that's not Javascript heavy, and you can try that out. You can also go to the bottom of the page and click "Change Theme" to the "IP.Board Mobile" skin, which should look better but it's not as full-featured as the regular skin.

..Al

I think the new features are great. The only thing I don't like, and I don't think it's something that's going to sink in, is the general cosmetic look of the forum. It looks like an old BBS now, the organization of the previous version was very crisp and easy to navigate. It feels bulky now. Within threads is generally the same, I'm talking mainly about the main page where you see all the separate parts of the forum. Not sure I dig the skin colors either. A little drab and too 'just started a blog' to me.

I think the new features are great. The only thing I don't like, and I don't think it's something that's going to sink in, is the general cosmetic look of the forum. It looks like an old BBS now, the organization of the previous version was very crisp and easy to navigate. It feels bulky now. Within threads is generally the same, I'm talking mainly about the main page where you see all the separate parts of the forum. Not sure I dig the skin colors either. A little drab and too 'just started a blog' to me.

The appearance will change, especially that of the main page.

..Al

• Like 1

After doing some hunting on Invision's site, the ability to disable Avatars has been removed. The rationale was probably that since they've "eliminated" Avatars (they are your user photo now) and they are used all over the freakin' place, that it would be more problematic to allow people to disable them than it's worth, as then you have to design your pages to work with and without the images in place.

Do you have a link so that I can send an earful to whoever made that design change? Very annoying.

Mitch

BTW: I had avatars disabled, but they are displayed now. Bug?

After doing some hunting on Invision's site, the ability to disable Avatars has been removed. The rationale was probably that since they've "eliminated" Avatars (they are your user photo now) and they are used all over the freakin' place, that it would be more problematic to allow people to disable them than it's worth, as then you have to design your pages to work with and without the images in place.

If you're using AdBlocker (or something similar), you could block these two locations where the images are coming from (not sure this is all of them, but would be easy to figure out if you see more after blocking these):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/uploads/profile/
http://www.atariage..../uploads/av-*.*

Those blocks should works inside Opera too. But having to do it manually is cleary a step backwards. :(

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I think I've got my forum photo thing under control but it was being a little glitchy for me. I had to disassociate my account with my facebook account and then just let it sit for a bit before Atari Age would actually let me clear out my old personal photo and put my avatar back in. Thought I'd just mention it in case anyone else is having problems getting a personal photo to go away and bringing back their avatar.

I like the look of the new mobile theme, but I can't use it since it doesn't have the "Mark forum as read" button any more. Would it be possible to reinstate that button?
That's an odd omission, which I just confirmed. I'll add it tonight. ..Al

I've just noticed another problem with the mobile theme: when you're in a multi-page thread, there's no way to jump to a specific page (only prev/next), or even see which page you're on or how many pages there are.

Also, still no "mark all as read" button :)

Windows 8 or the Internet Explorer 8? IE6 hasn't been supported since 2009, and most website development standards call for IE7, FF3.6 at the minimum. Your client needs to be running IE8 (the max you can go up to on XP) if they expect to be able to access most modern sites properly.

One thing I noticed on the mobile version last night, and I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not, but I can't find the View New Content link, other than that I like the this theme alot.

Click on the icon in the upper-right corner. A menu will pop up and "View New Content" is on there.

..Al