IGNORED

Forum Upgrade to 3.2

Albert

Can you install Chrome or Firefox on that machine? Should work fine, although may be a bit slow on a seven year old machine.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

http://www.google.com/chrome

Both of these are a heck of a lot faster and more secure than Internet Explorer 6!

..Al

I've managed to convince the owner to at least upgrade to IE 8 and will try that later. :)

won't let me cut'n paste from the about page but:

Windows Explorer ver. 6.00.2900.5512(xpsp.080413-2105)

date installed: 08/04/2004

Computer was bought sometime around then. Owner refuses to upgrade as they don't trust the new version 8.

Windows 8 or the Internet Explorer 8? IE6 hasn't been supported since 2009, and most website development standards call for IE7, FF3.6 at the minimum. Your client needs to be running IE8 (the max you can go up to on XP) if they expect to be able to access most modern sites properly.

Supposedly, they added IE8 to this late last night. So far all I've found was 6 so far. As long as I can get "back-editing" to work again, I'll be fine.

Also, still no "mark all as read" button :)

There is, click "Mark Community Read" right at the bottom of the page and there will be a popup to select what you want to mark as read (forum, blogs etc).

Are you talking about the mobile theme? The desktop theme has a "mark all as read" button near the top (where it belongs) and "Mark Community Read" at the bottom, but I can't find either of those on the mobile theme.

Can't say I love it yet. Painfully slower. Balloonie fonts and larger text types. Boxing, older website design. Hard to find items. Messager area is busy and difficult to see replies right off.

I realize the world is a critic, and art is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm not feeling the love from this upgrade.

I do websites and website security for a living.

Can't say I love it yet. Painfully slower.

Just curious, how old is your computer and what web browser are you using? It's quite fast for me using Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Boxing, older website design.

Really? It's much more up-to-date than the previous skin Invision shipped. Their old design was quite long in the tooth.

..Al

i am just waiting for the AA skin, until then i will reserve judgement... as the last upgrade i wasnt fond of, but was tolerable when the AA skin returned...

It takes getting used to even for me! While overall I like the changes, there are several elements Invision changed that I'm not overly fond of. They did quite a few changes under the hood, though, which paves the way for more improvements down the road. They're getting quite a bit of feedback on 3.2, and now that they have most of the bugs out of the way (there are over 200 bug fixes in 3.2.3 about to come out) we should start to see some nice improvements, as well as changes to address areas people aren't too fond of.

But for the skin, yes, I'll see what I can do. :)

..Al

My PC is currently kaput. Until then I'm using my old standby, with Win2000me+IE6. With this new upgrade in progress I get the message "Internet Explorer Cannot Open Internet Site *****: Operation Aborted", when logging on to AtariAge Forums :mad: It has worked OK until now. Is there a fix for this with my vintage laptop?(said me from a library terminal.. :? )

thx,

Ron

My PC is currently kaput. Until then I'm using my old standby, with Win2000me+IE6. With this new upgrade in progress I get the message "Internet Explorer Cannot Open Internet Site *****: Operation Aborted", when logging on to AtariAge Forums :mad: It has worked OK until now. Is there a fix for this with my vintage laptop?(said me from a library terminal.. :? )

Invision abandoned support for Internet Explorer 6 with version 3.2 of their software. I would try installing a different browser. Anything will be better (and safer) than Internet Explorer 6. The latest version of Firefox will run in Windows 2000:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

..Al

I'm using FF 3.6.3, IE8, IE 9 (dual core, 4G, Windows7pro64bit), and yes I would say I find it considerably slower. Have you ran any bench mark tests, before and after upgrade? Test page loads, etc. Validated mark-up, W3C conformance, etc? I'm not familar with the software choice you have for the site, maybe they have use group postings to compare. You could check your web traffic for browsers used (but you should see 80%+ IE)

Since the old site is replaced I don't have previous data to compare.

Edited by chrislynn5

What I really don't like is the Forum Pages take longer to load then the root Atari Age section!

Please don't change anything there, I love the quick page loads:

http://www.atariage.com/

That's because the main website is a separate app, so to speak. Probably just straight php or html.The forum piece is a separate website.

Looks like we lost the ability to edit older posts made in the marketplace...

2) couldn't edit the Homebrew forum topic to fix the link in the first post to point to the latest build.

This should be fixed now. Please test and let me know if it works! If not, I will go bang my head against the wall.

Thanks,

..Al

1) couldn't add a poll in the blog. it let me enter the questions and answers, but never saved them. I tried a few times.

Looks like a known bug:

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-33231-add-entry-manage-entry-poll-not-saved/

It appears that if you "Save Draft" first and then publish, the poll will be saved. Can you try that and let me know if it works?

Thanks,

..Al

No luck with editing the Homebrew topic.

I always "Save Draft" first as the blog preview shows the BB Code for inline attachments and I like to see the embedded pictures before I publish the entry as I've inserted them in the wrong order a couple times in the past.

I just tried again w/out any luck. I tried both editing the existing blog entry and creating a few new ones.

Have we lost the ability to block threads from specific forums from showing up on our "New Content" page?

No, this is something that Invision has now added to the forum software (as opposed to a third-party mod).

1. Click on View New Content
  2. Click on Filter by Forum in the column on the left (it's the last item)
  3. A popup should appear. Select which forums you want to appear in "New Content" results, and then click Save.

Some screenshots to demonstrate:

filter_by_forum_1.png

filter_by_forum_2.png

..Al

I like the look of the new mobile theme, but I can't use it since it doesn't have the "Mark forum as read" button any more. Would it be possible to reinstate that button?

While adding a "Mark Forum Read" button ("Mark Forum as Read" was too wide, and I didn't want to make the buttons larger) I found that you can indeed mark a forum as read in the IP.Board Mobile skin. While viewing a list of forums, if there are forums you have unread messages in, the forum has a dark blue icon next to it. If you click this icon, it will mark the forum as read:

forum_read_mobile_1.png

I also added a "Mark Forum Read" button to the bottom of the forum view:

forum_read_mobile_2.png

Hope this helps!

..Al

No luck with editing the Homebrew topic.

I will have to go back and double-check (and test) my work, I must have missed something. Or the forum software has changed enough that it has broken my code. Either way I'll get it working!

I always "Save Draft" first as the blog preview shows the BB Code for inline attachments and I like to see the embedded pictures before I publish the entry as I've inserted them in the wrong order a couple times in the past.

I just tried again w/out any luck. I tried both editing the existing blog entry and creating a few new ones.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll add it to the bug report.

Edit: Tried it myself and get the same result as you.

..Al