IGNORED

So, what do I need to program on PC and test with emulators?

Tickled_Pink

If you are into single files (or one master file that includes all the others) then DASM is suitable for 2600 and 7800 development. If you like NMAKEing (or equivalent) over multiple files with a linker then the assembler from CC65 is good.

For emulation on the 2600 I'd recommend Stella and for the 7800, ProSystem (although it doesn't have a debugger).

• 4 months later...

Okay, so this is a bit of a catch-all question. But what do I need to do some coding on a PC and which emulators are best for testing in?

The platforms I'm interested in are the 2600, 5200, 7800 and 8-bit. Assembler will be the language of choice.

For 8 Bit I am using: Altirra as emulator and Wudsn as IDE with MADS Assembler.

That works very well. You have a good editor, a fast macro-assembler with lots of capabilities and a superb emulator with good debugging features!

You will love it!

Edited by 1NG

it's probably good to have at least one PC-based programming language kicking around as well for those times when your data isn't quite in the format you need. Python, visual C++, something like that.

I have a whole folder of one-off data format converters kicking around on my PC

• Like 1