Zoober1016

I have a chip that gets warm when the unit is powered on. I believe this is causing a problem where nothing happens when I insert a cartridge and hit Start. This may have been caused by a defective power supply which has been replaced. The monitor is good. I swapped the chip to another location with one that wasn't getting warm to confirm the chip was the problem, not the location. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement chip to see if this fixes the problem? The chip is a Mostek MK4564N-15IRL and was originally in location U15. There is also another number C060612-009. I think this is a memory chip, but I don't have a schematic to verify. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"insert a cartridge and hit START" is not going to work on any Atari, working or not. You have to insert the cartridge and power on.

On the other hand, if that chip is bad, yes, it is one of the memory chips. Which Atari do you have? Where are you located - I have a million of these chips...

Bob

I have a chip that gets warm when the unit is powered on. I believe this is causing a problem where nothing happens when I insert a cartridge and hit Start. This may have been caused by a defective power supply which has been replaced. The monitor is good. I swapped the chip to another location with one that wasn't getting warm to confirm the chip was the problem, not the location. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement chip to see if this fixes the problem? The chip is a Mostek MK4564N-15IRL and was originally in location U15. There is also another number C060612-009. I think this is a memory chip, but I don't have a schematic to verify. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"insert a cartridge and hit START" is not going to work on any Atari, working or not. You have to insert the cartridge and power on.

On the other hand, if that chip is bad, yes, it is one of the memory chips. Which Atari do you have? Where are you located - I have a million of these chips...

Bob

I already tried inserting the cartridge and turning on the power, but this didn't work. I have an Atari 800 XL and live in Phoenixville, PA. Do you think this is the only issue or could other chips have blown also?

If you had a bad power supply then you might have several failed chips. The easiest repair path is to have a fully socketed 800XL (luck of the draw, I'm afraid) that you can swap in and out of.

If you want to send me the socketed chips from the machine, I'll test them and send them back (just make a good diagram of what goes where).

If you had a bad power supply then you might have several failed chips. The easiest repair path is to have a fully socketed 800XL (luck of the draw, I'm afraid) that you can swap in and out of.

If you want to send me the socketed chips from the machine, I'll test them and send them back (just make a good diagram of what goes where).

I really don't have any anti-static foam or padding to send these chips to you. Would it be OK for me to send the entire system board? Also, how much would you charge to test the board and replace the defective components? I don't want to spend alot of money to get this unit working.

Edited by Zoober1016

That'll work, just send the mobo. I won't charge anything except return shipping unless soldered in stuff needs replacing, plus a few bucks for whatever chips I need. If it just needs a couple RAM chips, that'll be on the house. I'll let you know ahead of time.

That'll work, just send the mobo. I won't charge anything except return shipping unless soldered in stuff needs replacing, plus a few bucks for whatever chips I need. If it just needs a couple RAM chips, that'll be on the house. I'll let you know ahead of time.

Could you please provide your shipping address? I will try to send out this weekend.

I realized I was probably just complicating things. Some people have plans to install more RAM (up to 1MB) to run some of the more exotic things being released (mostly demos). If you're going to leave it as a 64K machine, it doesn't matter which Antic you have.

I realized I was probably just complicating things. Some people have plans to install more RAM (up to 1MB) to run some of the more exotic things being released (mostly demos). If you're going to leave it as a 64K machine, it doesn't matter which Antic you have.

I will just leave it as a 64K machine then. Let me know when you will send board back and how you would like me to handle the return shipping costs.