IGNORED

Eastern States Exposition; Did Anybody Buy Anything?

Bartsfam

This is a heads up for anyone in the New England area, heading to the Big 'E'

I just went to the Big 'E' today, and to my surprise, there was a tent selling old school video games, consoles, and accessories.

(The Big 'E' is the Eastern States Expostion, from now until 10/2/2011 in Springfield, MA)

The guy selling the stuff was kind of a dink, but......his inventory was great! Boxed consoles, from the Odyssey to present day. Boxed games from Atari to today. Loose games from Odyssey to today. NES clones, that I had never seen, or heard of before. Joysticks, pads and accessories also.

He also had Arcade machines, like Pac Man and Zaxxon for sale. He also wanted to purchase any old games for trade or cash.

His pricing was so-so. He had a box of Colecovison commons, and they were all $7.50 a piece. So, DK was $7.50 but Turbo was also $7.50.

Other items had no prices, and when I asked how much, he would rattle off a price from his head.

He said he was a wholesaler from the Poconos. His tent is located across from the small ferris wheel.

So, if you are going to the Big 'E', bring some extra cash. You may find some things you need for your collection.

Edited by Bartsfam

lol I have a guy around me that opened a game store a few years ago that is like that? has nothing priced and looks EVERY game up on the internet. We had a game convention coming up and I gave him the info for it all to be a vender? He had no interest on promoting his store and said that " the people that go to those shows are the losers who can't go to the comicon"? I was very close on making him eat his $3.00 Pac-man cart!! But the kid in his store was very cool? and thought it was a geat idea to promote the store? lol

Always has to be a non collector jerk who thinks everything they have is gold, i dealt with the same thing in my sports card collecting days back in the late 80s and early 90s (which is when i got out of that hobby) by the way i have dozens of combat, pacman and et carts, I wonder if this guy will pay me a buck and a half for each for them.....lol

• 3 weeks later...

No one has anything decent in the Inland Empire or as I like to call it, the Inbred Empire. I have never met any collectors except for the quintessential "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpsons at a defunct store here in Spokane. The owner was a middle aged big guy with a goatee that ran a place called Odyssey or something like that but he went out of business a few months ago.

Other than that, its just raping the thrifts for what I can find and pickens have been lean in recent years. I would LOVE for some guy like that to come to our big fair every year but the Spokane International fair is nothing compared to the Big E.

We have an electronics exposition here near So Cal every year (it's in LA i think), but it's too expensive to attend (like $450 for a ticket) and Comic-Con has become a joke for collectors (the prices are outrageous as well as admission). Bobo's right - it's basically the thrift stores or bust for good deals (or here on Atari Age). The last few items i found were some boxed C64 games and about 40 atari 2600 games (mostly commons) with two 2600 systems but that's about all. Sometimes Craigslist will have something good but we have had a run in Bakersfield of people trying to get $200 for a 2600 and 20 games. The flea market here is also no good - just cheap imported goods, clothes, furniture, appliances, etc. We don't even have the comic book guy (or even comic book gay, his brother) - we have "Ryan's Toys" - where good games and toys go to die unless you have a King's ransom (still don't know how he stays in business).

Stuff like this doesn't happen around here. Makes me sad.

I hear ya. That and collecting here isn't anywhere near as good as the west coast or northeast. Any place outside of Atlanta has absolutely nothing, and even there it's very rare to find some gaming oddities. Now if old video game/computer stuff was as abundant as UGA merchandise, well my house would be full of gaming goodness. :P

That guy is a tool. He owns a 'major' retail place in PA that sells over priced arcade games (Double Dragon $1,000). He is always writing me to get in on bulk lots that I come across, but he doesn't want to pay more than $50 a game. He then will go on and on about how he doesn't know anything about them or how to fix them.

I had a deal in place with him for a Taito SI Trimline, passed uo a few other because he and I had an agreeement. He then went and sold the game out from under me and came up with a BS excuse. Man it's been five months and I am still pissed. I needed that Trimline.