Photo

Bug: Menu loader does not properly support 128 B ROMs

4 replies to this topic

#1 Tjoppen OFFLINE  

Tjoppen

Chopper Commander

• 199 posts

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 PM

Using the latest eeloader (eeloader_104e_PAL50.bin) and BIOS (hbios_105_PAL50.bin):
When I program the Harmony with a 128 B ROM everything works as expected.
If I instead use the menu loader (BIOS) I get various weird results (the console typically displays a black screen with gray bands).
If I enlarge the ROM to 4k by simply concatenating 32 copies of it then it works fine.
My guess is the BIOS simply doesn't mirror the ROM across the adress space properly.

For the curious, the ROM in question is an experiment in generative "music", via this thread on pouet

#2 cd-w OFFLINE  

cd-w

Stargunner

• 1,248 posts
  • Juno First!

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:36 AM

Yup - this is a known-limitation of the Harmony. There isn't enough space for the code to expand out the ROM image, so you must do it yourself before uploading to the Harmony.

#3 Tjoppen OFFLINE  

Tjoppen

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:49 PM

That sounds like a challenge :)
On a related matter: Stella seems to have a similar issue with ROMs <= 32 B. I noticed that pretty quickly when messing around with 16 B stuff..

#4 iesposta ONLINE  

iesposta

Stargunner

• 1,864 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:17 PM

Using the latest eeloader (eeloader_104e_PAL50.bin) and BIOS (hbios_105_PAL50.bin):

For the curious, the ROM in question is an experiment in generative &quot;music&quot;, via this thread on pouet

Me = curious! Do you have any 4K .bin to share that you got working on the 2600?

#5 Tjoppen OFFLINE  

Tjoppen

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts

Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011 7:43 AM

Sure:
genmusic1-4k.bin
genmusic2-4k.bin

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users