IGNORED

SIO2PC-USB, Sloopy Edition mkII

sloopy

We did that already back in June (watch this: http://www.abbuc.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6102 ) basing on a schematic of Michael Ellis. There are two different boards with different sizes, where only the smaller one fits into a SIO plug, but currently can´t be used with Mac OS X. The bigger one works nicely with SIO2OSX but now has problems with SIOServer from Michael Ellis (Apple must have changed something important in Lion).

mega-hz created an all new PCB which perfectly fits into a SIO plug for the ABBUC-Hardware competition (he had to, otherwise there would have been only one entry and that´s not enough for the competition), it will be available soon. His other entry btw is an updated freezer.

Oh sloopy, you dirty teef!

Sorry, didn´t want to be understood like that. Just want to show, that it can easily be self-made and that for Europeans there is a ready-built solution which will be available for about 15 Euro. It was announced in the current ABBUC magazine which just shipped here in Germany.

Sorry, didn´t want to be understood like that. Just want to show, that it can easily be self-made and that for Europeans there is a ready-built solution which will be available for about 15 Euro. It was announced in the current ABBUC magazine which just shipped here in Germany.

Nah, Sloopy and I just like to give each other crap... He knows I wasn't being serious :)

Nah, Sloopy and I just like to give each other crap... He knows I wasn't being serious :)

hmmm... maybe i should put PEN*S BASIC in your sio2pc-usb dongle? :'D

or even pink and lavender LED's instead of blue and white?

:'D

sloopy.

ok, update...

<hat in hands>

i must apologize, after going over the numbers and such, i made a calculation error in estimating the price...

(please put the tomatoes down!)

before you go lynching me, i am not that great with numbers, and mrs sloopy looked over my numbers, smacked me upside the head, cause i did my math wrong...

as such the prices are ~$5 too high. so i will be refunding the $5 to each person who has bought one by the 15th of this month (and $10 to the ones who bought two)

so the corrected prices are:

Assembled kit: $21

just need your own sio plug end, the kind that screws together.

Standard Edition: $26

ready to go like the one on the left

Deluxe Edition: $36

ready to go, with activity LED.

Again, I apologize for this error...

sloopy.

• Like 1

Throw in a mini-USB for me and keep the difference. Thanks!

no problem, and thanks!

post-24811-0-57218400-1317872078_thumb.jpg

and the SIO jacks came in

post-24811-0-23121400-1317872112_thumb.jpg

i dont need the cables between the SIO connectors, so if anyone wants a cable or two with 12 wires and a shield, let me know...

sloopy.

Throw in a mini-USB for me and keep the difference. Thanks!

no problem, and thanks!

post-24811-0-57218400-1317872078_thumb.jpg

and the SIO jacks came in

post-24811-0-23121400-1317872112_thumb.jpg

i dont need the cables between the SIO connectors, so if anyone wants a cable or two with 12 wires and a shield, let me know...

sloopy.

Toss me a cable or two and keep the difference.

Very nice. But I am missing something, or you didn't mention any technical details?

what kind of tech details you need? its pretty straight forward, USB comes into an FT232RL, comes out to TTL serial, and there are line for TX/RX LED's... the PCB is a custom made one specifically for this, and it allows the dongle to be screwed together instead of permanently glued...

post-24811-0-95615600-1318008870_thumb.png

sloopy.

what kind of tech details you need? its pretty straight forward, USB comes into an FT232RL, comes out to TTL serial, and there are line for TX/RX LED's...

You just answered most of my questions. I was wondering if this was about a basic or an advanced smart interface (say, supporting such things as synchronous mode). I guess I could have figured out by the rather low price. Thanks.

today is the last day of pre-order pricing, tomorrow i want to order the FTDI chips so they will be here at the same time as the pcb's...

sloopy.

Put me down for 1 standard version with USB cable and unterminated SIO cable, plus shipping to Canada.

I hope my post isn't too late, but I wasn't able to connect to Atariage for 5+ hours today.

BTW, two weeks ago I added your product in my topic for newbies.

Many thanks, i also still sell my Sio2PC-USB MkI too

Price, advantages compared to MKII?

none, because an mkI version cost more then a mkII to make ;')

i can sell the mkI based on what i paid for a specific cart, as that would be a royal pain in the pa-toot... so i will buy 10-15 carts, average the price of them all (usually in the $6-$8 range, as i never pay more then $7per for carts to be used for this), and thats how much they are...

then you also have to take into account, the mkII requires alot less time to make, its a matter of prep'ing the PCB (soldering on the components, cutting the boards, etc) and then putting them in the sio plug... takes about 20mins...

where as the mkI, i have to cut/drill the cart case, glue it together, install the PCB etc... take about 45-60 mins...

the reason i can spend so much time on Atari stuff is the little bit of money i make from it... pays the phone and water bill, so mrs doesnt bitch (much) about me playin with that **** ;')

the mkI's are $40+ shipping, and come with the DVD, and a USB cable (the current batch of them use mini-usb now instead of regular usb connectors)...

I could have made these before, but i never did, the two 'demo units' were actually made for an AA member, and i havnt shown any more pics of them cause they are on their way, this is why there are no more pics of them... when i showed them to people, 5 wanted one right off the start, so i figured why not just offer to everyone and then sell them...

i was never interested in one in the plug for myself, because it seems it would be too easy to lose, and i like it in the cart better personally (which is the kind i use...)

sloopy.