IGNORED

SIO2PC-USB, Sloopy Edition mkII

sloopy

yesterday i had to order more from my soldering consumables supplier, seems the batch of solder paste i have has issues... as i was having issue with pin seperation, and thought i was doing something wrong, as i am used to using plain 60/40 rosin core solder, which is a pain in the cornholio to clean off... this stuff is much easier to clean and thought the issues i was having were not enough solder or it spreading under the FTDI chip and creating bridging, but it seems the paste wasnt mixed properly, so flux isnt mixed with the tin/lead correctly and making cold solder joints...

a new batch of solder paste is on its way to me, so the few remaining ones i have left are waiting for this... (they know who they are ;')

sloopy.

... this stuff is much easier to clean and thought the issues i was having were not enough solder or it spreading under the FTDI chip and creating bridging, but it seems the paste wasnt mixed properly, so flux isnt mixed with the tin/lead correctly and making cold solder joints...

Hm, I had similar issues with newly produced solder while doing some breadboards and with baught new hardware (from Asus), which also had bad connections. I was told by an experienced solderer that this is related to nowadays ROHS type solder. Luckily, I was able to acquire some old stuff and this works indeed much better.

... this stuff is much easier to clean and thought the issues i was having were not enough solder or it spreading under the FTDI chip and creating bridging, but it seems the paste wasnt mixed properly, so flux isnt mixed with the tin/lead correctly and making cold solder joints...

Hm, I had similar issues with newly produced solder while doing some breadboards and with baught new hardware (from Asus), which also had bad connections. I was told by an experienced solderer that this is related to nowadays ROHS type solder. Luckily, I was able to acquire some old stuff and this works indeed much better.

60/40 rosin core is easy to find... problem is, the rosin flux is not easy to clean off, the paste i bought was 60/40, but with water clean flux instead of rosin (solvent clean)... the problem with it was the flux wasnt mixed thoroughly with the solder...

RoHS compliant solder is easy if you have a iron that is capable of handling it, it has a higher melting temp, which most 15-25 watt irons dont...

sloopy.

RoHS compliant solder is easy if you have a iron that is capable of handling it, it has a higher melting temp, which most 15-25 watt irons dont...

hm, my Weller TCP doesn't like it ...

Yeah thats a fixed temp iron, regular 60/40 solder melts at ~180-190*C, where as lead free (aka RoHS compliant) solder usually has a 220*C and higher... 195-200*C is a common temp for older fixed temp irons like yours, so they have issues with lead-free solder...

sloopy.

I ran into an interesting issue today. I have a CSS Quintopus -- the 6-jack SIO connection device. I've had the SIO2PC-USB device plugged into the Quintopus for several days. If I want to use AspeQt, I connect the USB cable to it. If I want to use APE, then I connect the USB cable to it. Fairly easy to swap back and forth.

But today, APE stopped communicating with the Atari. Reloaded APE, rebooted the PC, disconnected the USB cable and reattached it. Nothing worked. Finally, I removed the SIO2PC-USB device from the Quintopus. Instantly, APE worked again. Looked pretty harmless, but the moral of the story is not to plug them in at the same time.

@Sloopy -- presume that the SIO2PC-USB device is powered by the USB (and not the Atari)?

-Larry

• 5 months later...

Sloopy, are these still available to order?

I love the small form factor!

Have they been tested along side real drives? I ask because I have an ATR8000 which as always been tempermental with SIO2PCs of the past.

Once last thing, what's the longest USB cable I can use?

I have a *slight* logistical problem running a cable from the ATR8000 to my linux box. Would be nice if I could solve it with a custom long cable versus moving hardware :D

-Steve Sheppard

heh, seems Rays post made some interest...

yes, my newer ones work fine with other devices... early ones didnt have the diode on the DataIn line, so could have some issues...

USB spec is 15meters IIRC, beyond that you would need a USB repeater...

I have been busy with RL, VBXE, incognito, and other things, so i have a couple of these left, (and a stack of ones with issues i need to look at...)

current pricing is $25/35 for standard/ deluxe (without or with activity LED)

sloopy.

I ran into an interesting issue today. I have a CSS Quintopus -- the 6-jack SIO connection device. I've had the SIO2PC-USB device plugged into the Quintopus for several days. If I want to use AspeQt, I connect the USB cable to it. If I want to use APE, then I connect the USB cable to it. Fairly easy to swap back and forth.

But today, APE stopped communicating with the Atari. Reloaded APE, rebooted the PC, disconnected the USB cable and reattached it. Nothing worked. Finally, I removed the SIO2PC-USB device from the Quintopus. Instantly, APE worked again. Looked pretty harmless, but the moral of the story is not to plug them in at the same time.

@Sloopy -- presume that the SIO2PC-USB device is powered by the USB (and not the Atari)?

-Larry

I dont know why i didnt see this post... I would guess you got it sorted out?

and yes, my sio2pc-usb are powered by USB, not the atari... too many issues with powering it via atari, no known issues powering it from USB...

sloopy.

• 11 months later...

Sloopy are you still selling these or anyone? I might be interested pretty soon although I might do better with the option of a 30 ft cable.

I didn't know about this kind until I saw one (deluxe) on ebay being sold as-is, but since it's not in US I would be paying a lot for shipping.

30ft?

Surely there will be drop out on that length?

25ft (on the TTL side) seems just fine. However, I'm not able to reliably use divisor 0 (no matter how short the cable).

I hope Sloopy is able to get back to these soon.

Thumbs up on these, BTW

-SteveS

Yes for one, I would never try lengthening USB, and my point was that I could not do this with that adapter (the only line there would be USB). I would also not recommend making TTL lines very long; not designed for that.

So what I was getting at was that I need the RS-232 version of sio2pc and not USB. With good RS-232C levels, I often go 50+ ft. (industrial purpose such as programming the big turret press from a PC on the other side of the building). That's what RS-232 was made for.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...