IGNORED

HSC Round 4.6: Nibbler

Nibbler

A maze game where a snake nibbles pieces of food in its path. The snake grows longer every time it eats and if it runs into itself, it crashes and starts all over again. Eating all the food on the screen moves to the next level.

Game Information

Game Name: Nibbler [set 1]

Released By: Rock-Ola, 1983

MAME ROMset: Nibbler

Dip Switches: Lives: 3; Pause At Corners: On

Chosen By: bigbee99, mr. toast, patbb

ROM Location: http://romhustler.ne...nload/mame/3138

Competition ends Sunday, October 9 @ 12PM EDT

Leaderboard

1. 815,910 bigbee99

2. 345,160 mr. toast

3. 112,450 Cynicaster

4. 99,970 patbb

5. 99,460 M.A.M.E Offender

6. 23,180 LarcenTyler

7. 18,470 Richard Stewart

8. 17,980 roadrunner

9. 16,560 retrorussel

10. 12,290 JohnnyBlaze

Season Standings

Calculations through round 5

1. bigbee99 129

2. patbb 94

3. Cynicaster 80

4. M.A.M.E Offender 77

5. mr. toast 60

6. kojr 39

6. keilbaca 39

8. roadrunner 32

9. richard stewart 15

10. LarcenTyler 10

10. JohnnyBlaze 10

12. retrorussell 4

12. rmaerz 4

Edited by rmaerz

NIBBLERS - 49,060

post-29539-0-41914600-1317579682_thumb.jpg

They should use this game to test 4 way joysticks.

This game can get awful frustrating, seeing that I have and X Arcade machine equipped with a feeble 8 way stick.

I am guessing that the original short, red joystick that was used on PacMan and Ms. PacMan machines would be the best for Nibbler. A 'short throw' stick is what you want.

I agree with what M.A.M.E Offender said. This can get frustrating, ESPECIALLY on an 8-way stick. Added to that the only experience I have with the game was a similar game for the 2600 called Tape Worm...

post-3346-0-84592100-1317585156_thumb.png

I agree with what M.A.M.E Offender said. This can get frustrating, ESPECIALLY on an 8-way stick. Added to that the only experience I have with the game was a similar game for the 2600 called Tape Worm...

They should use this game to test 4 way joysticks.

This game can get awful frustrating, seeing that I have and X Arcade machine equipped with a feeble 8 way stick.

I am guessing that the original short, red joystick that was used on PacMan and Ms. PacMan machines would be the best for Nibbler. A 'short throw' stick is what you want.

You guys should get what I talked about last week!!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/188225-hsc-round-45-mr-do-double-header/page__view__findpost__p__2380921

A 4/8 way switchable joystick fromthe top.

You change the 4 way / 8 way by pulling up the shaft and turn it.

This way the plate changes without having to open the box everytime.

YES. IT'S NIBBLER.

Looks like people are getting mad (http://mudamudamudamuda.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/u-mad-bro.jpg) over the joystick stuff.

Yeah, apparently Rock-ola must've been all "Pac-man has the greatest controls ever, so we're not gonna do that."

But remember, there ARE patterns to this game. They are WAAAY easier to learn compared to Pac-man.

YES. IT'S NIBBLER.

But remember, there ARE patterns to this game. They are WAAAY easier to learn compared to Pac-man.

YES. IT'S NIBBLER INDEED!

I've learned some of the paterns in the past but I still can't marathon the game. I guess It's time to try again :)

Here's a past score of mine

http://www.twingalaxies.com/php/player/ShowScore.php?t1=50131&t2=301774984368&t3=1027353632780&t4=377877401669&t5=500075624387&d=4

B

i wont be playing this game again i suck

You suck? You did better than me! Trust me, you don't suck. Just keep playing and you'll get better. If you can do this on your first try, can you imagine what you'd do if you'd practice?

YES. IT'S NIBBLER.

Looks like people are getting mad (http://mudamudamudam...9/u-mad-bro.jpg) over the joystick stuff.

Yeah, apparently Rock-ola must've been all "Pac-man has the greatest controls ever, so we're not gonna do that."

I've learned some of the paterns in the past but I still can't marathon the game. I guess It's time to try again :)

Here's a past score of mine

http://www.twingalax...00075624387&d=4

B

The patterns might be easy to remember ... it's the speed of the game that's making me crazy :)

Nibbler 437,630

I took a few stabs at it

B

Nice, I watched your INP, from TG, very impressive.

BTW: how did you obtain the link to your score?

my score: 54,390

Go to the front page and log in

Click the Member Info link on the right

Now you see your profile info.

Above where it gives your Player ID # there is 6 link. Player Profile - Edit Profile - Scores - Stats - Submitted - MyLink

Goto My Links.

Close to the top of this page there are some Radio Buttons where you can choose which name(s) you want to be displayed in your link. Choices are

First Name (default) | Gamer Tag | Full Name | All

If you have not set up your Gamer Tag then you may have to wait before it can be displayed. Some people were abusing the Gamer Tag with both BS names as well as vulgar names. So now it has to be verified by a Mod before it can be used.

B

WOW... for the guys that marathon this game, I refuse to believe they stand there and listen to the music for the whole time. I couldn't stand it for 2 minutes. It makes it a good game to play with tunes on.

From what I've heard, the music was disabled on most boards of the game. Whoever made the ROM noticed the music and turned it on(?). I remember Tim McVey talking about this in one of his marathon secessions he was streaming. His board does not play the music. Tim scored the 1st billion points game on Nibbler in '84. The record was not broke until recently. The new score of 1,002,222,360 was just verified less than a week ago. Rick Carter, the new record holder, goes into detail on the events that happened during his days playing the game here

http://forums.twinga...hp?f=22&t=26785

There is also some links to his game play in that thread.

B

Edited by bigbee99

Well I'll be in Seattle for the next couple days and possibly without Internet. I'll submit an early score in case I don't have time to post any potential improvements (I get back to the airport just minutes before the deadline).

And here's a special treat:

There's a special Easter Egg trick on the enter initials screen. Enter "JHU" and get the message in the picture below. Thanks, Tim McVey, for pointing that out on your last marathon!

post-28043-0-84380900-1317799440_thumb.png

Wow. Watching that video of Rick Carter shredding up the boards on Nibbler was something else. I see the "terminal velocity" is blazing fast, as expected.

I have to agree with the idea of following certain patterns in this maze game.

Let's see one of our guys get a million! ;-)

I was there when he was playing it. It looked like torture...