12 replies to this topic

#1 disjaukifa OFFLINE  

disjaukifa

River Patroller

• 2,125 posts
  • Berzerker In Training

Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011 8:43 AM

Hey Guys,

I know for getting an eprom programmer quality matters but does it matter for the eprom eraser? Can I just get a cheap one off of ebay and be ok?

Thanks

#2 SEgamer OFFLINE  

SEgamer

Dragonstomper

• 535 posts

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 5:34 AM

You could put them in direct sunlight, that's the cheapest way to do it! :D

I wish I could help, but I'm also starting to get into this stuff as well. What programmer are you using?

#3 disjaukifa OFFLINE  

disjaukifa

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,125 posts
  • Berzerker In Training

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 7:38 AM

You could put them in direct sunlight, that's the cheapest way to do it! :D

I wish I could help, but I'm also starting to get into this stuff as well. What programmer are you using?

Yeah I rather not wait the 3 weeks it would take to erase it. I got Batronix BX32. Hopefully I will be getting it in the mail today . . . I really can not stand DHL . . .

#4 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 3,410 posts
  • bit player

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 8:47 AM

It will take a bit longer in weaker/cheaper eraser, shorter in a more powerful one.

The true budget option is a UV toothbrush sanitzer: http://www.dealextre...ine-white-10131

Yes, it really works.

#5 disjaukifa OFFLINE  

disjaukifa

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,125 posts
  • Berzerker In Training

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 8:50 AM

It will take a bit longer in weaker/cheaper eraser, shorter in a more powerful one.

The true budget option is a UV toothbrush sanitzer: http://www.dealextre...ine-white-10131

Yes, it really works.

I wonder where I could get one of those cheap in the US? I saw those I was thinking that might work but I wasn't sure.

#6 disjaukifa OFFLINE  

disjaukifa

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,125 posts
  • Berzerker In Training

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 9:25 AM

Yes, it really works.

Would this work? The one you listed is out of stock http://www.dealextre...ner-2-aaa-34720

#7 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 3,410 posts
  • bit player

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 9:30 AM

It should work, but the timer is a bit short on that one. You'll probably want to run it 20 or 30 minutes to ensure all the bits are flipped, so with a 5 minute timer you'll have to reset it 4-6 times.

They also likely have name brand ones at Sears or Walmart, though they'll be more in the $20 or $30. Just make sure the timer lasts at least 10 minutes.

#8 disjaukifa OFFLINE  

disjaukifa

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,125 posts
  • Berzerker In Training

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 9:33 AM

Yeah I just looked on walmart's website and they have one for $14 bucks so I might go over there and see if they have it in stock.

#9 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 7,045 posts

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 9:51 AM

The one I use looks just like this one:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 330524466740

The only difference is that it's painted black and doesn't have a built-in timer. I think I paid something like $30 shipped for it, but it works perfectly and has held up for several years.

#10 kenfused OFFLINE  

kenfused

Stargunner

• 1,299 posts

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 9:53 PM

I have one like this i had bought on eBay Auction -- Item Number: 260819846418 a while ago. The timer is mechanical, kind of cheap, and doesn't give any time units but it seemed to work well and was cheap. I think I only paid about $15+shipping and got it from a U.S. seller (you will see a lot of the same or similiar unit from lots of Chinese sellers and a few US sellers). I was kind of leery of the hole in the front of the drawer that let's you know its on, but guess it's ok as long as you don't stick your eye up to it.

#11 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,501 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011 10:51 PM

The real budget option is mine :) it consists of a regular 4" flourescent lamp with a germicidal tube, and it's taped into a black VHS case. the switch is accessed through a hole cut in the case. Yeah, I know it doesn't have that silly safety stuff but my glasses have polycarbonate lenses which block all UV.

#12 82atari5200 OFFLINE  

82atari5200

Moonsweeper

• 475 posts
  • Destroyer of Eproms

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:23 AM

I did the same. Went to a lighting warehouse and bought a germicidal bulb with ballast for 20 something bucks. I just put it in the closet and plug it in.

#13 Pioneer4x4 OFFLINE  

Pioneer4x4

River Patroller

• 2,014 posts
  • Atari + R.O.B. = Completed

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2011 11:03 PM

I have one like this i had bought on eBay Auction -- Item Number: 260819846418 a while ago. The timer is mechanical, kind of cheap, and doesn't give any time units but it seemed to work well and was cheap. I think I only paid about $15+shipping and got it from a U.S. seller (you will see a lot of the same or similiar unit from lots of Chinese sellers and a few US sellers). I was kind of leery of the hole in the front of the drawer that let's you know its on, but guess it's ok as long as you don't stick your eye up to it.

I just got one of those as well, what a piece of crap, and it smells like death. The timer worked once. BUT, it does erase chips. And I point the whole away, I don't want it reasing my DNA.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users