Photo

Tele-Games Race bundle rarity? (pics)

14 replies to this topic

#1 dommie OFFLINE  

dommie

Chopper Commander

• 199 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 10:49 AM

Just got this sweet Sears Tele-Games Race bundle: big box, 2 driving controllers, inner game box that flips open like an Intellivision box instead of a standard Atari box, with text label cart and manual.

Is this the only way it came, with the 2 controller bundle? Or was the game available separate?

What kind of rarity level are we talking with this package, if any?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Skylark68 OFFLINE  

Skylark68

Moonsweeper

• 493 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 1:05 PM

I think I recall that the game was sold by itself as well, but I imagine that this bundle was more common. I could be 100% wrong though. It would be tough to play without the driving controllers and I don't think any other game was made that utilized those.

#3 dommie OFFLINE  

dommie

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 1:09 PM

Didn't Night Driver come out first? I think that one used the driving controls also.

#4 HatNJ OFFLINE  

HatNJ

Stargunner

• 1,395 posts
  • When Im on Im on when Im off Im WAY off

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 1:11 PM

No Night Driver was 1980 Race aka Indy 500 was 1 of the Original 9 releases in 1977 the box is cool They are called Gatefold boxes and only the first 9 games had them Shame tho if Atari kept them be more CIB games out there

#5 dommie OFFLINE  

dommie

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 1:18 PM

Yeah, but when did the Sears branded ones come out? Surely later than 1977. I have the original receipt for this game, dated 3/5/1979. This is probably not the release date, but it puts it in the ballpark. Were there any other driving control games prior to 1979?

#6 HatNJ OFFLINE  

HatNJ

Stargunner

• 1,395 posts
  • When Im on Im on when Im off Im WAY off

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 1:25 PM

That's the only one officially released that uses them (other than maybe homebrews of today if any)

Sears were in the 1977 time frame that was the era when Sears wouldn't sell anything that did not have there own branding on it

#7 dommie OFFLINE  

dommie

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 1:31 PM

Interesting. So this and Night Driver are the only 2 games?

#8 Pioneer4x4 OFFLINE  

Pioneer4x4

River Patroller

• 2,014 posts
  • Atari + R.O.B. = Completed

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 4:01 PM

Interesting. So this and Night Driver are the only 2 games?

No
Race and Indy 500 are the same game, and the only production game back then that used Driving Controllers.
Night Driver used paddles.

#9 tremoloman2006 OFFLINE  

tremoloman2006

Stargunner

• 1,658 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 6:25 PM

I own one of these myself... I think they are pretty rare as I haven't seen another complete set on eBay for years.

#10 dommie OFFLINE  

dommie

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 6:51 PM

So we have 1 vote for common and one for kinda rare.

Here's a better question: what's a fair retail price for this set?

#11 Zwackery OFFLINE  

Zwackery

River Patroller

• 4,747 posts
  • Dr. Atari

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 8:33 PM

I own one of these myself... I think they are pretty rare as I haven't seen another complete set on eBay for years.

These show up on eBay with a fair degree of regularity. In fact, there are 2 on eBay right now, one with a $34 BIN, the other with a $46.95 BIN OBO. I'd put the complete set at about $20-30.

#12 dommie OFFLINE  

dommie

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011 8:42 PM

Hmm - looks like I ballparked it right at $39.99 retail. Interestingly, the original receipt was left in the box from Sears - $34.95 back in 1979. That would be equal to $113.15 in 2011, adjusted for inflation. Crazy wicked expensive.

#13 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2011 1:30 AM

These show up on eBay with a fair degree of regularity. In fact, there are 2 on eBay right now, one with a $34 BIN, the other with a $46.95 BIN OBO. I'd put the complete set at about $20-30.

But on both of those the driving controllers say "driving". dommie's say "Sears". So, dommie's has the correct Heavy Sears driving controllers and theirs don't. So, if theirs are worth $20-30 then dommie's is worth a little more.

#14 Zwackery OFFLINE  

Zwackery

River Patroller

• 4,747 posts
  • Dr. Atari

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2011 7:57 AM

But on both of those the driving controllers say "driving". dommie's say "Sears". So, dommie's has the correct Heavy Sears driving controllers and theirs don't. So, if theirs are worth $20-30 then dommie's is worth a little more.

Swapping out the Sears-branded driving controllers would a small increase IMHO as these are fairly easy to find, and anyhow I put a range on the value, so maybe $20 with the generic and up to $30 in the first release form.

#15 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Sun Oct 9, 2011 1:13 AM

I understand. I was just trying to clarify a little more because dommie might think there was actually two of his/her sets on ebay when there wasn't any on ebay.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users