IGNORED

Chicago

Willsy

Hi Matthew,

i have to agree, the TI community - although quite small - is quite inhomogene.

) showing the own hardware/software projects

) getting news about other projects

) collecting / trading / selling stuff

) talk about good old ti-times

) meet old friends

Well, i believe everyone once worked with these machines and spent whole nights infront of them. So if you encourage the others to talk about ti-99 instead of football, the event could turn out more the way you prefer it, with on-topic chat.

Matthew, I really hope to see you there!

Hehe, no, not really. I was thinking more about some sightseeing in general (on my own, with family or with some TI friends). But also much more TI arranged stuff, like code corners, concurrent presentation sessions to choose from, time for questions/evaluation, more days, better premises (3 or more rooms, coffee area), official plans/agenda available (maybe even a site - and some documentation of what happened etc.). Just off my head.

;)

Yeah, we talked about format after the Faire last year, and it stirs a lot of controversy and emotion. Hal runs the Faire the way he has been for the last 20 years, and he deserves a lot of credit for keeping it together. At this point though, there seems to be more "Faire" than "TI" in the event.

As for more days, rooms, talks, etc., to do that stuff you would have to: 1. charge people (which just may kill the whole thing), and 2. get more people to come (which I don't see happening since we are already an extremely small community, and divided too.)

Technically the Faire *is* three days... If you were to come and be around on Friday, then there will be TI stuff to do, at least this year there will be. Saturday is the main "event" at the library, and afterwards, personally, I'm planning on continuing the hacking sessions at the hotel. Sunday was typically the "everyone goes home" day, but if people wanted to continue with presentations, hacking, sessions, etc. then there is no reason not to do so.

Now let's be fair to Hal here. The actual main event on Saturday IS the Faire, not Friday or Sunday, or even Sat night, and it is strictly TI. I agree though that the content has gotten softer over the past 2-3 years mainly because there are not as many developers around anymore. I also think that presentations should be kept at 10 min max with at least 45min to an hour in between to allow people to connect and talk shop. It's a real bummer that the Library kicks us out so soon, so maybe we should get a conference room on Friday afternoon and have a pre-Faire of sorts.

...and divided too.

This is the second time I have heard about the division between the Atariage group and the Yahoo group. What happened? Or is it to controversial to talk about openly? It just seems like such a small group should be tight knit.

I'm curious about that too. And why two yahoo groups?

Now let's be fair to Hal here. The actual main event on Saturday IS the Faire, not Friday or Sunday, or even Sat night, and it is strictly TI.

I'm totally giving Hal the credit he deserves, please don't take it otherwise. He held the Faire together all these years, and I'm glad he continues to arrange it. But I only live 3.5 hours drive away, however, some people are traveling from other continents! IMO, *one* 5-hour day (we always seem to have to wait for the mom-to-mom sale to be over at noon before we can get in...) in a small room, with no separate space for presentations, is hardly a "Faire", and hard to swallow for someone coming from so far away (like the UK, or even anyone who has to fly in).

I simply want to expand it a little and make it more worth-while for those who are less interested in the "good ol' days", and more interested in hacking code and hardware, trading gear, checking out rare stuff, etc.

idflyfish and lucien2: you really don't want to go there... The reasons are varied and everyone will have an opinion about it. You really have to hang out in each group for a while to get a feel for it, but once you see the sh*t go down, you then realize why it is split. There is a lot of disgruntle people that left and never came back, and it seems a "TI grudge" is forever. A ton of egos too, nay-sayers, etc. Not unlike any other community, but our numbers are so small that it becomes very noticeable.

Notice how not many people from the Y! lists participate here? To "them", we are the evil TIers. We defected from the sacred Y! list and dare to remake software and not use tools of old, etc. Also, notice how there are a few people less around here since the verbal pissing contest a month or so ago? It happened quick, but a moderator got involved and some people got bent out of shape because a moderator dared to delete a post or two.

Anyway, it does no good to talk about it since people just get all riled up for nothing. This thread is probably going to slip in to chaos now too...

Now let's be fair to Hal here. The actual main event on Saturday IS the Faire, not Friday or Sunday, or even Sat night, and it is strictly TI.

I'm totally giving Hal the credit he deserves, please don't take it otherwise. He held the Faire together all these years, and I'm glad he continues to arrange it. But I only live 3.5 hours drive away, however, some people are traveling from other continents! IMO, *one* 5-hour day (we always seem to have to wait for the mom-to-mom sale to be over at noon before we can get in...) in a small room, with no separate space for presentations, is hardly a "Faire", and hard to swallow for someone coming from so far away (like the UK, or even anyone who has to fly in).

I simply want to expand it a little and make it more worth-while for those who are less interested in the "good ol' days", and more interested in hacking code and hardware, trading gear, checking out rare stuff, etc.

Yeah, know what you mean matthew. That's the same feeling I got when I visited the european TI events in Germany. Don't get me wrong. It's great to meet TI-99/4A friends and talke about great times.

But I'd love to see more tech stuff. Have to admit, I was hoping to contribute more myself. But due to real life stuff that didn't work out.

What I would like to see is a combined Colecovision, TI-99/4A and MSX1 event. Hey it's 2011, the home computer war is over people.

We could exchange plenty of VDP tricks & the sound processor isn't that different either.

You would meet plenty of Atariage homebrew folks and we'd have plenty to talk about, get presentations, etc.

If I'm honest, that would be more of a reason for me personally to come over to the US and visit the event.

Yeah, know what you mean matthew. That's the same feeling I got when I visited the european TI events in Germany. Don't get me wrong. It's great to meet TI-99/4A friends and talke about great times.

But I'd love to see more tech stuff. Have to admit, I was hoping to contribute more myself. But due to real life stuff that didn't work out.

Thats how I feel. I was shocked to see some of the photo's of the recent Italian meeting - just photo's of people playing Parsec. Nothing going on at all. I don't need to fly to Italy (or the USA) to play Parsec. But that's why I skipped the Italian meeting and am going to Chicago - the USA is where it's at, pretty much. I see Tursi, Matthew, Marc Hull et al as the 'hub' of the TI community these days. These are the people that are driving innovation forward for the TI, keeping it fresh.

I think the TI scene has been very stale for the last 10 or more years, and although the scene has never been smaller than it is now, it is very much alive I think, and has been awesome for the last two years or so.

Mark

idflyfish and lucien2: you really don't want to go there... The reasons are varied and everyone will have an opinion about it. You really have to hang out in each group for a while to get a feel for it, but once you see the sh*t go down, you then realize why it is split. There is a lot of disgruntle people that left and never came back, and it seems a "TI grudge" is forever. A ton of egos too, nay-sayers, etc. Not unlike any other community, but our numbers are so small that it becomes very noticeable.

Notice how not many people from the Y! lists participate here? To "them", we are the evil TIers. We defected from the sacred Y! list and dare to remake software and not use tools of old, etc. Also, notice how there are a few people less around here since the verbal pissing contest a month or so ago? It happened quick, but a moderator got involved and some people got bent out of shape because a moderator dared to delete a post or two.

Anyway, it does no good to talk about it since people just get all riled up for nothing. This thread is probably going to slip in to chaos now too...

The information quoted is simply someone's opinion, and there seems to be a lot of disgruntlement included in it. The real truth about theYahoo groups is as follows:

The original Yahoo group (the one with the dash) often got quite out of hand with spamming and trolling, and the moderator seemed not to care about things getting out of hand. The trouble was caused by two individuals, who didn't respond to any sort of requests by others to stop their unacceptable behavior. This led to some members simply not wanting to put up with the aggravation any more and leaving the group.

The newly formed Yahoo group was formed for those members that left the old group as a more mature, centered, TI and Geneve discussion group.

All members of the former Yahoo group as well anyone here is welcome. Spamming and trolling are not allowed, and are handled quickly and effectively. It has continued to survive and grow based on that philosophy. And there are quite a few members of that group that are also members here, myself included. The difference I see between that group and this one is basically gaming. The gaming discussions occur here, and the serious hardware and software discussions are common to both groups. So the reference "them" and the "evil TIers" as qouted in the above message is not only incorrect, but insulting.

The mature yahoo group can be found here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/

and anyone that cares to behave as an adult is welcome to join.

There are also two more Yahoo groups that have not been mentioned, but are similar wealths of information.

They can be found at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swpb/

and

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Geneve9640/

Hope this clears things up. :)

I'm with you, but I'm still glad we have a Faire in any form and someone still willing to put it together. I for one certainly don't have the time or energy to pull off something like that... Did you look into some meeting space at the Best Western for Friday?

Notice how not many people from the Y! lists participate here? To "them", we are the evil TIers.

Evil TIer's huh .... I think you give yourself too much credit there Francis.

Perhaps the reason that more Y! people do not participate here is because very few AA people participate on the Y! groups. Kinda like ......well tit for tat.

I don't believe I have ever seen you post on the other groups unless you were inviting people to come to your show and tell. That's kinda one sided.

This self appointed and comical bad boy BS doesn't do much good either. I think this great division you like to expound about is more or less a creation of yours.

As far as when the SH*T goes down ? It's nothing that doesn't happen here or else where.

Also, notice how there are a few people less around here since the verbal pissing contest a month or so ago? It happened quick, but a moderator got involved and some people got bent out of shape because a moderator dared to delete a post or two.

No I am here. Just lurking for the most part. Some times it's really hard not to respond to ridiculousness like this and I tend to speak a bit to plainly for most folk so I have been limiting myself for the greater good. See I can be a martyr too....

Funny... It was you who brings this up..... again..........and again and again....

Meh. I feel quite at home here. Reminds me of all the fun we have in the Amiga community, as well. Over there, we are losing great equipment and software because one developer cannot get along with another (both or all very talented,) not to mention the number of entities fighting over the last remaining scraps of the AmigaOS carcass.

I am hoping next year to organize an Amiga gathering for the East Coast.

Anyone else not seeing the really cool AtariAge iconage in the forums anymore??

Okay, I was talked into it, and although I haven't told work yet, I'll be at the Best Western, too. I don't get in till 6:45 on Friday, and I have to leave Sunday, but Matthew made me promise that at least I wouldn't go straight to bed when I get there. ;)

I don't expect to have any of my own presentations, but I'll at least see if I can bring a prototype MPD like I showed in my YouTube video. No progress is made on the Linux cart so although I'll bring it to show off, it still doesn't do anything useful. ;) Any TI programming time I can scrape up between now and then is promised to Jon and Jim for the cartridge project, and Matthew for F18A testing. ;)

I'd love to hook up for some tech stuff Friday night, though it is nice to see everyone Friday night too. I'm going to ask Hal to please try and schedule some actual table time at the faire, too. I would like to both watch the presentations AND have time to go around the tables. Two years running that has not been very easy.

Will there be much for sale at the faire? Should i be bringining some dollars to spend?

There has always been something to buy / trade. Last year I picked up a CF7+ and I had some of Retroclouds' Pitfall! carts for sale. Definitely bring some cash (and a roll of quarters if you are driving and need to park!)

The hotel everyone seems to be staying at, the Best Western, has a conference room available on Friday from 7am to 11pm for $200. I'm waiting for an answer from them if they will do a half day, from 3pm to 11pm (since most people won't be there until later), at a reduced rate.

It would be nice to get at least 8 people to commit to chipping in so it would only be $25 each. I'll be the first to put my name on the list.

The hotel everyone seems to be staying at, the Best Western, has a conference room available on Friday from 7am to 11pm for $200. I'm waiting for an answer from them if they will do a half day, from 3pm to 11pm (since most people won't be there until later), at a reduced rate.

It would be nice to get at least 8 people to commit to chipping in so it would only be $25 each. I'll be the first to put my name on the list.

Sign me up. If I leave early on Friday morning, I should be in Evanston by 1-2pm.

Edited by Vorticon