IGNORED

The many faces of Donkey Kong for Intellivision

cmart604

While most would agree that DK for the INTV was not the "best" :P game for the Intellivision back in the day, you have to give credit to Coleco and CBS for getting it out there in many forms. Not including the excellent new DK Arcade which was recently released, I am aware of 10 different box variations for this videogaming work of art. I have nine of them. ( I may have a problem. :grin: ).

The five across the top are CBS releases, as you can see the first three are French, English and German language variations, the fourth one is the UK PAL version, then the fifth is the multi-language International version. The bottom four are Coleco versions, two English and two bilingual English/French Canadian versions. The one I'm missing is a German version of the fourth box on the top row with the angry looking DK throwing a silver barrel.

To the best of my knowledge, (and off the top of my head), DK might just hold the record for box variations for this system. After 12 years of collecting for the Intellivision, I've got to find something to keep searching for. :D

post-25458-0-57205100-1318563014_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

While most would agree that DK for the INTV was not the "best" :P game for the Intellivision back in the day, you have to give credit to Coleco and CBS for getting it out there in many forms.

I'll give that credit to Shigeru Miyamoto for creating such a fantastic and timeless game, but not to Coleco. The Intellivision version of Donkey Kong was crap and is responsible for a very disappointing moment in my childhood.

Nice collection, though. :)

-dZ.

• Like 2

While most would agree that DK for the INTV was not the "best" :P game for the Intellivision back in the day, you have to give credit to Coleco and CBS for getting it out there in many forms.

I'll give that credit to Shigeru Miyamoto for creating such a fantastic and timeless game, but not to Coleco. The Intellivision version of Donkey Kong was crap and is responsible for a very disappointing moment in my childhood.

-dZ.

Thanks dZ, while the Intellivision version isn't great, I still enjoy collecting for it as the arcade version truly is one of my all-time favorites. Thankfully, Carl's DK Arcade has certainly righted the wrong of 30 odd years ago.

Wow! Look at the box art on the 4th game over on the top row, thats crazy!

DK looks super vicious and Mario looks nothing like Mario (Jumpman)

Every picture you post gets me so excited to be collecting INTV Cmart!

It's pretty cool artwork isn't it? :)

Just wait until you see what else I'll be posting AK, you're going to enjoy collecting for the INTV!

I thought about it, but then I decided to keep it old school only. I actually have seen someone here on AA has the German one I need in their collection....**cough**IntyMike**cough** :love: :ponder:

Is there no french version of this box?

I haven't come across a French version of "Angry Kong" as I'll call him. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. I'll be keeping my eye out for it while I'm looking for the German one. Mike, I notice you forgot to include your paypal account info and the total amount with shipping to Canada for you to send me the German one! Lol! :)

-dZ.

Thanks dZ, while the Intellivision version isn't great, I still enjoy collecting for it as the arcade version truly is one of my all-time favorites. Thankfully, Carl's DK Arcade has certainly righted the wrong of 30 odd years ago.

That's my opinion too. I was only so disappointed by the Coleco version because Donkey Kong was one of my very favorite games when I was young. On my 10th birthday, my grandparents took me shopping and bought me the game, and I literally couldn't sleep all night, staring across the room, while the cartridge burned a hole through the box; restlessly waiting for the morning when I get to go home to my Intellivision.

Carl's version brought balance to the force.

-dZ.

I thought about it, but then I decided to keep it old school only. I actually have seen someone here on AA has the German one I need in their collection....**cough**IntyMike**cough** :love: :ponder:

Is there no french version of this box?

I haven't come across a French version of "Angry Kong" as I'll call him. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. I'll be keeping my eye out for it while I'm looking for the German one. Mike, I notice you forgot to include your paypal account info and the total amount with shipping to Canada for you to send me the German one! Lol! :)

I call the 3 different styles of the boxes: comic or arcade version, superhero version and of course international version.

And sorry, my box is not for sale. It ´s for sentimental reasons, because this was the box which I bought back in the 80´s.

But it ´s not that rare. It shows up quite frequently on german ebay.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

aaaaand now I have one coming from Australia myself! :) Thanks for the heads up Dude (and for Rev for pointing out the auction). :thumbsup:

After shipping, what did that auction set you back?

Just for one game!!!!

Kind of like that Auction i won for 100, just for french Tron....

EDIT: nevermind, i found it!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o

Edited by revolutionika

aaaaand now I have one coming from Australia myself! :) Thanks for the heads up Dude (and for Rev for pointing out the auction). :thumbsup:

After shipping, what did that auction set you back?

Just for one game!!!!

Kind of like that Auction i won for 100, just for french Tron....

EDIT: nevermind, i found it!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o

Lol! I also wanted the CIB system as I didn't have that version of the box with the Draughts sticker and the Draughts picture on the front, plus I wanted the draughts box, the red Space Armada, and the Star Wars. Still, ouch. :)

For the red Space Armada you should watch Ebay UK (or other sellers). It ´s quite quite common over the channel. :-)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2005128376761?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200512837676&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Yah, I'd been watching that one for a while but the box just looked too beaten up. The funny thing is I won another red Space Armada from eBay UK just before the DK auction ended. The red Space Battle is a lot more common than the red Space Armada, particularly in North America, where it's almost impossible to find.