IGNORED

Helping on the Prince of Persia making?

José Pereira

If there are anyone in the coding I would like to work with him...

But 'IN PRIVAT'

I think that my work and time wasted deserves this...

(don't get this personal but I think that I am not far away for the possible solutions for A8)

And it could be coding but better IMHO and not just simply solutions)

I really like to help as I am sure I can be very helpfull and we could get a great Prince of Persia in A8.

Would be waiting for someone's PM.

Thanks.

I would want to help.

Is it really necessary to open a THIRD "PoP" topic?

Indeed this is the fourth one because there were a first one some time ago:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/152500-prince-of-persia/page__hl__prince+of+persia__fromsearch__1

(just kidding a little bit...)

And all them have different intentions. This one is just for the A8 coder contacts me.

You can say that he know me for all that I posted but I just want to try another time...

This one

I thought you were going to program it.

I'd be having a good look at the code and supplied dox from mrsid before considering anything.

Besides that, I've got at least 3 medium sized projects that could potentially occupy me for the next 3-6 months. And if I was to take on PoP, it'd be a case of me calling all the shots - if I'm not getting paid, then nobody tells me what to do.

• Like 1

I thought you were going to program it.

I'd be having a good look at the code and supplied dox from mrsid before considering anything.

Besides that, I've got at least 3 medium sized projects that could potentially occupy me for the next 3-6 months. And if I was to take on PoP, it'd be a case of me calling all the shots - if I'm not getting paid, then nobody tells me what to do.

I don't understand:

Is it you that will be trying something and taked the things from Mrsid?'

It is not telling you what you have to do and code what others are saying.

You know (probably?) what games I have and wich coders are around them that I give them all the gfxs. and ideas...

Some work some others not.

We constant exchange ideas ...

Not the coder nor me are the 'Boss' ;)

I just posted that because I understand from Mrsid that there is someone already interested in coding the game and I would like to help.

Like I am always trying.

It's just that and/or I may need to know if there's really someone because things could be build other way... Maybe someone would be interested and it would a waste of time start something and duplicate the work.

Edited by José Pereira

200 projects & idea's, not seen one actually happen......Maybe its time to stop devising other projects and actually get stuck in to one Jose.

Sorry, not trying to be rude but like fox said, 3 to 4 threads re the same idea yet no fruition. I'm not knocking your idea's and tech wishes, they sound great BUT when nothing comes of any of them so far it just seems a tad daft creating even more possible idea's, surely you would love to see one of your idea's actually turn up in the flesh fully.

It also looks like you just saw the POP thread on Lemon ;)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

200 projects & idea's, not seen one actually happen......Maybe its time to stop devising other projects and actually get stuck in to one Jose.

Sorry, not trying to be rude but like fox said, 3 to 4 threads re the same idea yet no fruition. I'm not knocking your idea's and tech wishes, they sound great BUT when nothing comes of any of them so far it just seems a tad daft creating even more possible idea's, surely you would love to see one of your idea's actually turn up in the flesh fully.

It also looks like you just saw the POP thread on Lemon ;)

I can get 100 projects.

My projects that get coders have all the things done and send to coders.

You must say that is to those coders... They want to get the things but don't have time to end them.

I think you all have a wrong idea about me: I don't code, I just get the gfxs.and ideas. Then we change our thoughts and hopefully something will come.

I wouldn't learn code by now because I think I am best in what I am doing.

Untill there I just spend the time like I want. And I want to continue with more!

I need more coders and I also need that the coders that have things from me end them.

Untill there I still be here doing the same I've done untill now!

Greets.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

But Jose, how many have you seen completed?

I know you do the idea's and gfx but I was always taught to never spread myself thin, being from a management background you never started a task and left it half way, you saw it through no matter what distraction and then moved on.

I'm NOT trying to put you off but think about it from the other side, you look on here not knowing you and see a post saying, how about a Prince of Persia, here's some graphics, they look nice etc etc.

Said looker is thinking "wicked or some other word, there's going to be a POP game for the 8bit, wow, can't wait"..

User waits and waits hoping...

2 months later he see's same person, "Hey, how about a Ghosts and Goblins", nice gfx blah blah blah...

Same outcome...

Roll that out many times over...

How about finding that coder, putting your ALL in to the project with them and splattering a stunning game in here...

With the number of idea's you present there's simply not enough coders free out there to do them, break it down to your top five with a full set of prepared gfx for that game, no mock ups, the whole set?

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

I send all to coders.

When I get someone I first end all and then I re-start this games suff/ideas/screens into here.

I am in a battle that it seems that mostly don't like.

It seems I am a 'Personna non gratta' or is it because I am facing the pre-established Rules...

It is a small community that people like it to be small.

It must be small because those small number intends it to be and all the others are just clowns that only serve to read what they write, play what they code and are also only to be some type of servants to applaud.

The Master say: "Stand Up, Seat, Stand Up, Seat" and if we are obedient he gives us a bone and say "Good Dod", "Good Dog"

Edited by José Pereira

Jose has always said from his first A8 graphics thread he is not a programmer.

He is showing people (with quite a lot of skill and ingenuity) what/how other games could be ported to A8 and then it is a matter of music and coding. I'm sure he would put in more than enough effort working with a coder and musician. Sometimes he even finds all the level maps for us too!

As for this thread he has obviously been told that someone is working on A8 code so he didn't want his offer to help that coder to be lost in another thread.

To be honest I find it rich people moan about Jose not learning 6502 machine code, do the artist in game developers get moaned at for not being programmers? Jeez people need to lay off him and be a bit more grateful for what he does do rather than what he never said he could do.

Ungrateful and unhelpful are flavour of the year in A8 forum attitude generally here lately *meh*.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with doing "proof of concept" static drawings to show how something might work.

But like has been said 100+ times, expecting someone to just step in and write a program around it isn't exactly a "small favour".

I have to say though, PoP could well be a case of 60% of the work already done seeing there's C64 source and rev-engineered Apple II source. Then again, it might be 20%

But even if it was 80% done, that could still mean hundreds of hours labour remaining.

So whatever way you look at it, it's anything but a trivial project.

I am one of the coders who work with Jose.

However, bad for him, the project we are on is on number 4 of my priority list. Yeah, sorrily Jill isn't over. Had hoped to scratch it from said list already :(

The next game I have in mind would be my own (there exists already code :) ). That way, I do not have to figure out how to copy C64 stuff. Instead, I design my game around the possibilities of the A8.

In the other thread irgendwer said that a coder does not need Jose's help. Might be true for others but honestly, after 15 years of A8 I learned something from him :)

And what coder doesn't want to have all the assets already finished without needing to think about them?

@topic:

I would be interested to code the gfx engine, because I think it is not that hard. But I have absolutely no motivation to dive into mrsid's code and try to adapt it for the A8.

EDIT:

@Emkay and Jose: you both should start to code a BIT. just to get a feeling how the stuff you both talk about really works.

For example Emkay list constantly the possibilities of the Atari, which are all true, however, he applies all features at once which is not (easy) possible.

Similar for Jose, saying. "use a soft sprite here and a soft sprite there" is easy and the Atari can render some of these but not everything is possible.

Edited by Creature XL
  • Like 3

Sorry If I've seen to be ungrateful, which I find odd for 2 posts but I'm just posting the logical way of working that is used throughout industry and management, when I was training as a manager I was taken to one side an given a right talking to about use of resource time and end results, its a lesson I learnt well.

I'm not asking Jose to stop working, in fact I actively encourage him to carry on BUT the notion you can juggle so many possible projects is absurd as its a matter of at least two people syncing their free time which if you have a family is a precious matter.

I love what Jose comes up with but I'd just love to see one come to fruition.

If that makes me ungrateful then 1. I'm ungrateful and 2. Attitudes to work are odd here & 3. people take things too seriously too quickly..

It's not ungrateful at all.

When I wrote it to Jose', I had good intentions. I like Jose'.

What I see is somebody who loves Atari 8 bit computers, and that's never a bad thing. I also see somebody with a lot of creativity needing outlets for it. So we get a lot of interesting and often entertaining screens and ideas. No worries here. Post 'em.

Programming can be HARD. I find it so regularly. But, my appreciation for the hobby goes way up when I do write programs. There is a whole other level of appreciation possible, even if one doesn't ever get to a point of writing full games or completing projects. This works like music does.

We all like music, we all have ideas about it too, sometimes hearing them in our heads, or whistling singing, just having some creative fun with it. Actually writing and producing music is hard too. All the arts are, stories, film, music, GAMES, dance, videos, you name it. It's art because there are limitations, choices, and style all coming together in various ways.

After taking a year or two of music theory, I now appreciate it even more, though I still suck at composition, more than I don't. Form, style, grammar, theme, technique are all things I can see much better now for having explored the raw mechanics of it. I also found out I am a romantic as opposed to being a impressionist musically. Never knew before, other than I seriously enjoyed longer songs and good vocals. Now, I can express WHY I like those things, and appreciate them done well all the more, just by way of one example of how this dynamic works.

This, I believe, is what most people are trying to convey to Jose'. I know I am.

One bonus to this:

If he does write some code, even BASIC code, working with others becomes significantly easier, and likely far more productive too.

Edit: It just occurred to me that somebody needs to make a display kernel for Batari Basic that would work on Atari 8 bit computers. Would be kick ass. Seriously. It just would.

Edited by potatohead