IGNORED

Restless II - game released

sometimes99er

So the Nonogram cartridge is on sale and it is time to move on to the next project. The ideas of colorful manuals and boxes to print, cut, fold and glue are not forgotten.

The logical move would be this (thread) Restless II, but truth is, I have been diving into 20 other TI projects (mostly games). An hour or two has however gone into Restless II, but I'm nowhere committed - yet. It's top of the list, but I jump around a lot. Too much talk, too little action and not much time.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 3

Looks Great!!!

Version 0.1

attachicon.gifrestless2c.bin

attachicon.gifrestless2.rpk

attachicon.gifrest.ea3.obj Program name: REST

attachicon.gifrest.dsk File and program name: REST

Important note: Only demo - and not playable ! ;)

Instructions

The object of the game is to defend your spaceship, maneuvering it left and right as alien saucers dodge and dive in a relentless attack.

You get past the splash screen pressing Enter. Instantly, alien invaders begin to sweep about the screen. The invaders always keep moving in their current direction until they hit a screen boundary, then they rebound. Meanwhile, you move your ship left and right using the joystick to evade the erratic dives and swoops of the aliens.

Fortunately, you have your super plasma gun. Simply press the fire button on the joystick to unleash a bolt of this incredible power. The particle ray continues until it hits an alien, atomizing it, or until it reaches the top of the screen. If you hold down the fire button, the bolt continually repeats. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Again I've been looking into too many other game projects. A few hours have been spent on this one though.

Velocity

Previously purely random velocities - with an upper limit. Occasionally an alien would move very slow or have no velocity in either the x- or y-direction. Game difficulty progress relied solely on the increasing number of aliens per level. Now there's upper and lower limits for each level.

Levels

The first level almost appear a bit boring after some play-testing, - if I get lazy they still get me. With the new velocities, I'm having a rather hard time getting through to the end. That's probably how it should be.

Bug

I've had a long standing bug at the beginning of level 7. Obviously some memory areas overlapping. Finally went through the Scratch-Pad layout and found it. Hooray.

Collision detection

The circle based system seems to work fine, but I'm now going to implement a rectangle system instead. Hopefully to save a relatively large amount of CPU. At any given time there's between 1 and 22 possible collisions to look out for.

All for now. :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, the prototype is cool. Very playable. :thumbsup:

Any chance you could release it in say a .bin to play on the FlashROM (I already have the demo v0.1 on there).

I notice v0.1 was released on August 28 2015, so maybe another update (teaser) for release on it's 1 year birthday :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :)

Anyway, love your games...especially because I can get to play them all from the FlashROM. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Shane

• Like 1

Wow, the prototype is cool. Very playable. :thumbsup:

Any chance you could release it in say a .bin to play on the FlashROM (I already have the demo v0.1 on there).

I notice v0.1 was released on August 28 2015, so maybe another update (teaser) for release on it's 1 year birthday :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :)

Anyway, love your games...especially because I can get to play them all from the FlashROM. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Shane

Excellent. Thanks. :D

Yes, I'll try and finish Snake Plissken for the TI first, and then on to this one, Restless II. Apart from working on another handful of games. ;)

Attached is demo v0.2. Nothing much there other than the collision detection can be tested.

:)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well, been looking into too many game projects to mention. Came back to this one half a month ago. After running out of scratch-pad, I decided to start over. Should probably have carefully assigned scratch-pad then, as there's now only 26 bytes left. 52% of 8K ROM taken. As I look back, some routines are less complicated, especially the soft sprite handling. I now have 16-bit values with vectors for main moving objects - no shortcuts this time. That should make it easier to progress.

• Like 2

I'm almost getting on par with the previous code. Sprite motion implemented. Scratch-pad now has 2 more bytes free. 53,8% of the 8K ROM taken.

The cart attached is put at the last level, level 9, with a maximum of 21 sprites on screen. Mainly to demonstrate sprite tearing, - which is caused by the horizontal hardware sprite limitation. I'll add sprite-rotation later.

I've noticed that only joystick is supported now. I'll add keyboard support later. You can move the shuttle left and right, and fire the plasma cannon. Default with Classic99 is arrow keys and tabulator. Mame uses left Ctrl to fire.

• Like 2

A nice random number routine I got years ago and have used ever since is here. It has two nice features - one is that a seed that's off by even one with give you a very different sequence - which is good for the numbers we tend to have. The second is that it guarantees to produce every number from 1-65535 exactly once before repeating, in a pseudo random order (note that 0 is not included).

Another thing I like to do is instead of just incrementing the key, I'll often call the random function. I'm not sure if one is better than the other, offhand. ;)

*RND	RETURN RANDOM NUMBER IN R0 
RMASK
	DATA >B400		* mask for 16 bit random numbers
RND
	MOV  @RNDSED,R0         * Get seed
	SRL  R0,1		* shift down
	JNC  RAND01		* jump if 1 not shifted out
	XOR  @RMASK,R0		* XOR the top half
RAND01
	MOV  R0,@RNDSED         * Save this number for next time 
	B    *R11 
(edit: sorry, removed the 'inc @zmquad' - that was obviously part of the Zombie MOTIF game ;) )

I have not been following this thread until today, but over here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264144-forth-and-basic-graphic-program-comparison/page-2

I mentioned the GForth random number generator which also repeats after 2^16 and has a better histogram. It uses the MPY instruction internally.

The TI-Forth PRNG code seems to repeat after 20K+ or so numbers so I preferred the GForth method.

Yours is even more elegant using only (EDIT: OOPS.) divide by 2 with SRL.

Very nice.

Edited by TheBF

• 3 weeks later...

Implemented

• Borders corrected.
  • Alien velocities corrected.
  • Alien animation.
  • Collision between Plasma and Alien.
  • Alien explosion animation.
  • Keyboard support. S and D for left and right. Q, Y and SPACE for fire.

Future steps

• Explosion colors.
  • Level progression.
  • Sprite rotation.
  • Scoring.
  • Sounds.
  • Trophy.
  • Collision between Spaceship and Alien.
  • Spaceship explosion.
Here's the cartridge ...

• Like 3

Hello sometimes99er,

Thank you for making it possible for us to directly test your prototype game released on the page https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/679083?id=679083. While playing the game for about half an hour, I couldn't believe what you have realized using only XB as programming language, thereby assuming that timing and speed for the movement of the different objects in your prototype game on the aforementioned page will be the same as on real iron. However, I propose following: Please use more and/or different colors for the objects, especially for the aliens, because that is something what I am missing in your game.

Regards

• Like 2

Thank you for making it possible for us to directly test your prototype game released on the page https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/679083?id=679083. While playing the game for about half an hour, I couldn't believe what you have realized using only XB as programming language, thereby assuming that timing and speed for the movement of the different objects in your prototype game on the aforementioned page will be the same as on real iron.

And thank you for testing and feedback. Did you make it past level 9 and get the trophy?

Restless (Restless I) started as a very small XB mini-game. I think the Restless II game could be accomplished in XB if one was allowed to compile it. I'm however using Assembler to make the TI version. I'm sticking with a cartridge format of 8K ROM without need for 32K Memory Expansion. All details of the prototype will be matched and incorporated into the TI-99/4A cartridge version.

However, I propose following: Please use more and/or different colors for the objects, especially for the aliens, because that is something what I am missing in your game.

Oh well, it is part of the overall minimalistic design. At least I'll test it (different colors) and see how it turns out. ;)

Edited by sometimes99er

You ask me such a question? Do you really want to hear the answer :lol:? Better not ;).

It's not easy, that's for sure. And achieving the trophy will definitely involve a bit of luck.

The new attached TI version will let you taste the sweetness of success. You're simply immortal.

Implemented

• Explosion colors.
  • Level progression.
  • Trophy.

Future steps

• Sprite rotation.
  • Scoring.
  • Sounds.
  • Spaceship explosion.

Here's the cartridge ...

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 4

It's not easy, that's for sure. And achieving the trophy will definitely involve a bit of luck.

The new attached TI version will let you taste the sweetness of success. You're simply immortal.

Implemented

• Explosion colors.
  • Level progression.
  • Trophy.

Future steps

• Sprite rotation.
  • Scoring.
  • Sounds.
  • Spaceship explosion.

Here's the cartridge ...

attachicon.gifrestlv0.5c.bin

I think it's cos im tired- so in this version of the game you cannot die?

• Like 1

I think it's cos im tired- so in this version of the game you cannot die?

Yes, you can't die. You get to blast a total of 63 aliens scattered over 9 levels, and finally get the trophy.

I guess it's easy to get confused over the versions and different directions this thread has taken. There is an early XB version, a Flash version, an assembler cartridge version in development (which was restarted), and a Flash prototype.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er