IGNORED

600XL Video Upgrade

Larry

This is a bit of a late posting seeing how the last post was in December of 2011. I'm relatively new to the Atari scene and I recently performed the Super Video 2.1 mod to my 600XL. For some reason I get really crisp video coming out of the Video connection on the 5-Pin DIN but it is monochrome. Not sure what went wrong here. Has anyone else seen this problem?

• 3 months later...

This is a bit of a late posting seeing how the last post was in December of 2011. I'm relatively new to the Atari scene and I recently performed the Super Video 2.1 mod to my 600XL. For some reason I get really crisp video coming out of the Video connection on the 5-Pin DIN but it is monochrome. Not sure what went wrong here. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I don't know about the Super Video 2.1. Pin 4 of the monitor jack is the is the composite pin, pin 5 is the chroma. I installed a monitor jack using the 600XL monitor upgrade from Best, it requires soldering/unsoldering.

I'm pleased with the results. It comes as a kit with 13 resistors, 3 caps, a coil, 3 transistors and a 5 pin monitor jack. The points for everything is already there, you have to clear out the solder from the holes.

You take the channel switch out and put the 5 pin jack there. The kit is called the Jeff Popp modification, $12 ($15 minimum order).

looking at the female jack.

3* *1

5* *4

*2 Best 1:30PM to 5:30 PM Pacific time 408-243-6950 http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Edited by russg

• 4 years later...

http://atrey.karlin....i/600xlmon.html

This method is way easier than SuperVideo 2.1. Has anyone done this mod, and does it give good results? I wonder if it can be "tweaked" to improve the results?

-Larry

I've done it- it looks OK. I did some further mods to reduce the noise in the picture. Removed a cap, and added one from GND to 5v to filter the power to that part of the board.

If anything, it is *too* clear. You can see every pixel, like there is a horizontal and vertical grid. I've tried to filter it out to no avail so far...

There is a little further you can go for S-Video, and I haven't done that part.

(The moire effect is just my camera taking a photo of curved CRT)

Really, now that I compare it to my 800XL standard- it looks the same, so it may just be my CRT. It is a "Super Fine Pitch" Trintron.

post-4629-0-54709300-1540677716_thumb.jpg

Edited by R.Cade

• 2 months later...

I am pulling the chips from a 600xl and setting them up in a protoboard. I am trying to replica my 600XL as closely as possible, but I do not want to move the RF to the proto and my 600XL does not have any other video out. I was looking for the option that does not rely on the RF being there. I saw Ken Sumrall and I will give that a try. nice thread.

I am going to proto a 600XL then walk through a series of upgrades/mods. Starting vanilla sans RF.

• 9 months later...

I have just attempted to upgrade a 600XL with the SuperVideo 2.1 mod. I must say that it was the most difficult Atari mod I have ever attempted, mostly due the extremely confined working conditions. I apparently don't have a Luma signal. The SV 2.1 instructions say to run a wire from the junction of R123 & R124 to pin 1 of the DIN. I have done this and my video display is a colorful unstable picture that resembles an old time TV picture that had the horizontal and vertical hold out of adjustment. It is the same picture I get from my 800Xl when I disconnect the luma cable. I noticed that the mods in this article say to run a wire from the emitter post of a transistor. I don't know which post is the emitter. Any help would be appreciated. PS I think my next 600XL mod will be with a UAV.

12 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

PS I think my next 600XL mod will be with a UAV.

If you do the UAV, some detailed picture posting would be greatly appreciated.  I am sitting on a UAV and a spare monitor port connector that I would like to eventually put into one of my 600XLs. 

I've had success on the 600 with a very simple transistor mod for both composite and s-video. Some require more filtering than others and there can be interference from other changes such as EPROMs, but they all clean up pretty nice.

Edited by R.Cade

Thanks for the pictures.  I set everything up like the pictures and I still could not get a luma connection.  I believe I must have lifted a trace somewhere as I was desoldering some of the components.  I went ahead and installed a UAV and everything works exactly as it should.  I will post pictures of the UAV installation tomorrow.  I may try the SV 2.1 on another 600XL but it sure is a lot of work compared to the UAV and the 600XL boards seem to be very low quality compared to the 800XL boards.  I think I had three or four solder rings come off when I was removing components.  I lose one on an 800XL almost never.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

I've never lifted a trace on an XL or Warner-era Atari board of any kind. Hell, I replaced and socketed 3 - 4 large-ish ICs on a crappy late-80's C64 board this past summer without damage.

I don't normally have any trouble either, I have completely socketed a 130XE with no problems but that 600XL just gave me a lot of problems.

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I've never lifted a trace on an XL or Warner-era Atari board of any kind. Hell, I replaced and socketed 3 - 4 large-ish ICs on a crappy late-80's C64 board this past summer without damage.

Never worked on late 80s c64 PCBs, have worked on several from 83 and they are built well. You would have to be fairly careless or inexperienced to lift a trace.

The 130xe board that I have was probably one of the easiest I've ever worked on in terms of how quick it took to remove all the chips and socket them.

This is totally unrelated to the topic but I started trouble shooting another 600XL and ever IC that I checked (about 10, all of the large one and a few of the smaller) was bad.  Then I noticed that one of the posts on the power switch had some damage.  It looks someone made contact with that post and a live wire at the same time.  Must have been working with the power on or at least with the power connected.  I suspect that every component on the board is fried.

2 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

If I install the din connector and do nothing else to the board, should I be able get composite video?

No, in addition to the DIN connector the 600XL is also missing other components necessary for composite video output.

The currently recommended composite/s-video upgrade for the Atari8 line is the UAV, available from MacRorie, the DIN jack and a few other components present on most other A8 boards would be needed for the 600XL as well.

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just acquired a PAL 600XL and it has the video monitor jack and it appears to have most or all of the video components installed. Is this normal for a PAL or has someone modified this machine? The machine is currently not working and it is totally unsocketed so I will have to do some work to.

12 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I just acquired a PAL 600XL and it has the video monitor jack and it appears to have most or all of the video components installed. Is this normal for a PAL or has someone modified this machine? The machine is currently not working and it is totally unsocketed so I will have to do some work to.

Pal 600xls all have the video monitor Jack and all required components on board.

I have never heard of a 600xl that is not fully socketed, sounds very strange, could you upload some pictures?