600XL Video Upgrade

600xl video upgrade

30 replies to this topic

#26 sskino OFFLINE  

sskino

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014 11:41 PM

This is a bit of a late posting seeing how the last post was in December of 2011. I'm relatively new to the Atari scene and I recently performed the Super Video 2.1 mod to my 600XL. For some reason I get really crisp video coming out of the Video connection on the 5-Pin DIN but it is monochrome. Not sure what went wrong here. Has anyone else seen this problem?

#27 rockdoc2010 OFFLINE  

rockdoc2010

Chopper Commander

• 168 posts
  • working graves,

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:28 AM

can you please tell me where you got the 2.0 vid upgrade?  I am thinking that this is the majority of my problem.. BTW your monochrome is probably a lack of a chromo wire 

Douglas

#28 russg OFFLINE  

russg

Stargunner

• 1,648 posts

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:20 AM

This is a bit of a late posting seeing how the last post was in December of 2011. I'm relatively new to the Atari scene and I recently performed the Super Video 2.1 mod to my 600XL. For some reason I get really crisp video coming out of the Video connection on the 5-Pin DIN but it is monochrome. Not sure what went wrong here. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I don't know about the Super Video 2.1.  Pin 4 of the monitor jack is the is the composite pin, pin 5 is the chroma.  I installed a monitor jack using the 600XL monitor upgrade from Best, it requires soldering/unsoldering. 

I'm pleased with the results.  It comes as a kit with 13 resistors, 3 caps, a coil, 3 transistors and a 5 pin monitor jack.  The points for everything is already there, you have to clear out the solder from the holes.

You take the channel switch out and put the 5 pin jack there.  The kit is called the Jeff Popp modification, $12 ($15 minimum order).

looking at the female jack.

3*         *1

5*     *4

*2                Best  1:30PM  to 5:30 PM Pacific time  408-243-6950   http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Edited by russg, Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:38 AM.

#29 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Stargunner

• 1,281 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:52 PM

http://atrey.karlin....i/600xlmon.html

This method is way easier than SuperVideo 2.1. Has anyone done this mod, and does it give good results? I wonder if it can be "tweaked" to improve the results?

-Larry

I've done it- it looks OK. I did some further mods to reduce the noise in the picture. Removed a cap, and added one from GND to 5v to filter the power to that part of the board.

If anything, it is *too* clear. You can see every pixel, like there is a horizontal and vertical grid. I've tried to filter it out to no avail so far...

There is a little further you can go for S-Video, and I haven't done that part.

(The moire effect is just my camera taking a photo of curved CRT)

Really, now that I compare it to my 800XL standard- it looks the same, so it may just be my CRT. It is a "Super Fine Pitch" Trintron.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1027181756c.jpg

Edited by R.Cade, Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:07 PM.

#30 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,231 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:21 PM

attenuation can be a good thing...

#31 Not Steve OFFLINE  

Not Steve

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:13 PM

I am pulling the chips from a 600xl and setting them up in a protoboard.  I am trying to replica my 600XL as closely as possible, but I do not want to move the RF to the proto and my 600XL does not have any other video out.  I was looking for the option that does not rely on the RF being there.  I saw Ken Sumrall and I will give that a try.  nice thread.

I am going to proto a 600XL then walk through a series of upgrades/mods.  Starting vanilla sans RF.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 600xl, video, upgrade

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users