Photo

2011 Taito/Space Invaders plug 'n play - anyone try it?

space invaders plug n play taito tv unit

81 replies to this topic

#76 the-topdog OFFLINE  

the-topdog

Stargunner

• 1,765 posts

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 PM

They play pretty well. I think it is worth the $20... but that may be the collector in me... I have almost every Jakks Pacific TV Plug and Play that features vintage games.

#77 akator OFFLINE  

akator

River Patroller

• 2,647 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 PM

I've had this plug-and-play for several months. I've been holding off judgement, since I find most of the games enjoyable -- however, today I played it for a few hours and decided that the joystick is definitely inferior to my Jakk's Namco stick from a few years before. The stick on the Taito model is comparatively sloppy and loose, which leads to gameplay problems. Disappointing considering that my Jakk's Namco is years old and has over 100 hours of play. At this point, I would expect the controls of the Taito unit to work better than the Namco which was drop-kicked by drunken idiots at a block party... but no, at this point the Namco may look worse for wear but it still works better. I still enjoy playing it, but it could be so much better...

#78 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,913 posts
  • Atari 7800 & NES Developer

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 AM

I actually found them in K-Mart down here in Naples for 7.99!!!! (no kidding) But there were only 2 left. :(

I bought them both, I like the feel of them and plan on converting them to 7800 controllers being that they have real 8-way constrictors (instead of the 'box' constrictor which makes you hit diagonals WAY more then you want to).
I already made the 'look alike' earlier Pac-Man model a 7800 stick (but it's only 4-way - good for maze games but not for things like Scramble, Asteroids, etc.).

Blob

#79 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Quadrunner

• 12,547 posts

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 AM

You found a good deal at K-mart :o I'd buy them $7.99 for any project 7800 controllers, TV version multi-jamma 60-in-one, or even just putting in an arcade machine. That's cheaper than you can buy a stick and buttons anywhere.

#80 MaskDeSmith OFFLINE  

MaskDeSmith

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 2:15 PM

Odd. I picked up one of these at K-Mart the other day. I would have bought it just for being able to bring Space Invaders with me where ever.

#81 androidlove OFFLINE  

androidlove

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 AM

Dollar General has them for $15.00 through 12/23/12.

Some of those games weren't in the arcades I frequented in my youth. This is the 1st time I've heard of them. The puzzle games look boring. The fairy and bubble games look really easy. I'd get it for Qix and Space invaders, but I gather Qix has issues with the joystick.

#82 wongojack OFFLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 3,227 posts

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:02 PM

Hacked!

http://atariage.com/...-joystick-hack/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users