IGNORED

New Pinball Arcade from makers of Williams Collection

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the kickstarter should succeed, some deranged troll seems to be trying to sabotage it. I don't think I'll ever understand internet trolls.

Are you referring to the day the donation values dropped off?

I almost wish it would fail. I'm curious what Farsight's plan B is, if any. We'd quickly see if this was really not economically viable for them to undertake without outside assistance.

I hope it succeeds. I even put $20 down on the project. Addam's Family is an extremely well made, popular table. Why anybody should want it to fail is beyond me. If someone doesn't care, fine then don't support it, but wishing a project to fail when others are genuinely interested is just plain dumb.

Are you referring to the day the donation values dropped off?

I hope it succeeds. I even put $20 down on the project. Addam's Family is an extremely well made, popular table. Why anybody should want it to fail is beyond me. If someone doesn't care, fine then don't support it, but wishing a project to fail when others are genuinely interested is just plain dumb.

Yeah I am, in the comments section is seems the donation was from someone called failsight. He was bragging about causing more problems as well. But who knows trolls are weird

And Atariboy, pinball is a niche product will a small dedicated following they get pretty good tables without kickstarting like Dracula, and Raul Julia's estate is known for being difficult to work with, if this failed that would probably be it for any hope of addams family ever being made available to the public, plus it would probably kill them trying future tables, would you really want to stop pinball fans from having a chance of tables like Lord of the Rings or demolition man ever being remade?

Why anybody should want it to fail is beyond me.

I'm with Atariboy on this one. I'd personally like to see what FarSight's "Plan B" is. The Pinball Arcade seems to be doing pretty well, which makes me think they have no basis for needing to go to the community once again for funding. This has nothing to do with the "Raul Julia estate being difficult to work with" (in response to Masschamber), this is simply a money issue.

Hopefully the funding gets at least a couple of thousand dollars over the goal because I have a feeling it's going to suddenly drop again one last time. I have a hard time believing anyone would legitimately back at the $600 level when all it really includes over the $400 level is your name as a platinum backer.

I'm hoping this kickstarter fails too... as much as I love Pinball Arcade, Farsight's business decisions continually disrespect their fanbase and it's hard to trust them. Asking customers to overpay in advance so they have no risk in licensing Addams Family just seems like another money grab at this point. They've made enough money from Pinball Arcade to pay the license without asking fans to cover the cost. So... the kickstarter covers the license fees, then all future sales are Farsight profit with no risk? The table would obviously sell very well, but kickstarter is the lowest risk and most potential profit for them... swindling more money from the hardcore fanbase.

• Like 3

I'm not really hoping that it fails, but I admit, I'm curious about what would happen if it did. Not only with this table, but how they would pursue future projects along these lines.

They seem pretty set in their plans and pretty far along at this point with the Addams Family. So I'd be surprised to see them scuttle this table completely just because the Kickstarter failed to cover the licensing costs they've already negotiated (Especially given its popularity and sales potential for what's the most produced pinball in history and one of the few that average gamers today are likely to have encountered in real-life).

Plus, it seems odd to me that such a round figure is needed to cover their costs (Exactly 100,000, as I recall, when including the extra from the last Kickstarter). It's almost like they're selected a figure that they think they can safely get rather than coming up with something that truly reflects their cost above what's the norm for digitizing and releasing a table.

I tend to think they've had success with this business model and see no reason to not take advantage of what amounts to preordering for a table associated with outside licensing, minus the few folks willing to spend past the amount that secures them a download or just a token amount not enough to secure them a copy of the final product.

I bet they could shoulder the risk themselves and make it work for such an iconic release. But until they have to, we'll never know.

Edited by Atariboy

Bunch of negative Nancies in here. Looking back, all of their previous Kickstarter tables reached just beyond their goals. But I heard a lot of people swear off future Kickstartes after the T2 table succeeded. Why, I do not know.

What I can tell you is Addam's Family is one of the most hottest and desirable licensed tables to date, so I've got my fingers crossed Farsight will make it.

I have a feeling a lot of fans just want to see the table succeed. This is one of the reasons their past tables seemed to level off to just over the goal is in. Once the goal is reached, a few might try to neg out by cancelling before polls close, but are not allowed to do so if it would result in failure. On the contrary, if it has just a few days left, people are more likely to up their pledge or simply those waiting on the fence may cast their lot if they really want it to happen.

I see that they're about $5,000 over with five days left. So it's as good as funded.

What other popular pinball releases are there with expensive licensing that would have to be secured? With this project, they've covered everything that I can think of.

Edit: Definitely some future possibilities. I wonder if Indiana Jones will be the next one to get the Kickstarter treatment.

http://www.ipdb.org/lists.cgi?anonymously=true&list=top300

Edited by Atariboy

What other popular pinball releases are there with expensive licensing that would have to be secured? With this project, they've covered everything that I can think of.

I do have to wonder what the music license for ZZ Top's "La Grange" used in High Speed II: Getaway might cost.

They did Harley Davidson and Creature from the Black Lagoon (albeit minus the songs Summertime Blues and Get a Job) without having to use a Kickstarter, and both those tables have multiple licensed songs, so I can't imagine it would be much of an issue to the development costs.

Latest update is kind of a kick in the balls to the current Kickstarter backers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-addams-family/posts/1010840

Lloyd's likeness may not be secured. This will mean altered backglass and voice samples to scrub his likeness from the table. :mad:

They waited untill the campaign was fullly funded to break the info. Atariboy, you were right not to trust them...

Edited by stardust4ever

Latest update is kind of a kick in the balls to the current Kickstarter backers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-addams-family/posts/1010840

Lloyd's likeness may not be secured. This will mean altered backglass and voice samples to scrub his likeness from the table. :mad:

They waited untill the campaign was fullly funded to break the info. Atariboy, you were right not to trust them...

I don't see anything in the text on the Kickstarter campaign but it's in the Kickstarter video at 6:46.

I'm hoping this kickstarter fails too... as much as I love Pinball Arcade, Farsight's business decisions continually disrespect their fanbase and it's hard to trust them. Asking customers to overpay in advance so they have no risk in licensing Addams Family just seems like another money grab at this point. They've made enough money from Pinball Arcade to pay the license without asking fans to cover the cost. So... the kickstarter covers the license fees, then all future sales are Farsight profit with no risk? The table would obviously sell very well, but kickstarter is the lowest risk and most potential profit for them... swindling more money from the hardcore fanbase.

It's a love\hate I have with them. They pissed me off a lot in the past, seems they are still doing it with Kickstarter. At this point I'll only buy a table if I see it on the platform I play on and I will never support a kickstarter for these people. I want to see what kind of profits they are making vs what it really costs to get a license. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call and approval over the phone (yes a written agreement would follow I'm sure). I still see them as a f@#$ leech.

Wow, I'm really surprised by the negativity. I'm super excited that Addam's Family is going to happen, it's my favorite table of all time. I have quit kickstarting things kind of as a rule, but I make an exception for Pinball Arcade.

To each their own, I guess.

Wow, I'm really surprised by the negativity. I'm super excited that Addam's Family is going to happen, it's my favorite table of all time. I have quit kickstarting things kind of as a rule, but I make an exception for Pinball Arcade.

To each their own, I guess.

I kickstarted the first time around years ago and it sort of felt like a scam. Most people I know got none of the tables until AFTER the game came out (I was one of them and after repeated emails with hardly a sorry thrown in) and then they started doing crappy ports (Android) and the entire Microsoft thing is utterly ridiculous where it also affected tables on the PS4 recently:

BwU6XQHIcAAuDry.png\

I'm pretty much over it now especially since I don't support them up front. I like the games and enjoy the tables but it doesn't mean I have to like them (or some of them there making the decisions).

All I know is they are established, not some indie company that they make themselves out to be, begging for money up front from normal people. Just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong but they certainly could do a better job on Kickstarter. Certainly. (Check the website to see just how many publishers have given them money over the years. Lots. Too bad we can't see their financials)

The loss of Christopher Lloyd would be minor. If I recall, there is only soundbyte from him in the game, "It's not plugged in yet," and it would be very easy to change his likeness to somebody else's on the table and the backglass while still making it look like Uncle Fester. Really those changes would be a lot less offensive than when WMS used a Raul Julia soundalike to add extra soundbytes to The Addams Family Gold.

I don't own it yet, but I'm liking the idea of the new Pinball Arcade more and more. Yeah, some of the business decisions of the company behind it are rather questionable, but that's to be expected when you have a small-time company treading in the deep, dangerous waters of big-studio and big-label licensing. They seem to be trying their best, even if they have a funny way of showing it sometimes. Still, if I buy it, I'd like to buy a Wii or Wii-U version. Once in a while I still dust off my Wii to play the older Pinball Arcade titles. Using the motion controls to simulate table nudging is a whole lot more realistic and intuitive than using a game controller. If I don't get to use motion controls, I may as well keep playing Visual Pinball on the PC.

Yeah, I dunno man, a bunch of that I blame Microsoft for. I initially had the game on my 360, but eventually gave up on it and went the PS3 route. I thought they have just Kickstarted 4 tables now (Twilight Zone, Star Trek TNG, T2 and now Addam's Family) which just happen to be the four big tables that rotated through the pool hall at college. I kickstarted Twilight Zone and T2, and I don't remember having to wait, but with Twilight Zone, I may have not switched to the PS3 version yet.

Anyway, I get what you are saying.

Cheers,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Discounted season passes will be available once all the season 3 games are released. By now and pay more, or hold out and get the discount later. I bought the day one Season pass on Ouya before it was pulled, but the Season 3 Pass has never been available on PSN because the season passes were discontinued prior to Season 3's debut on PSN. Sucks but nothing Sony fans or those who missed the early bird opportunity can do about it.

Its close to November, I've been waiting patiently, hopefully a season pass is made available in the next week or two.