IGNORED

Where can one get an RF demodulator?

bobotech

I would like to get an RF demodulator. Think of it as a reverse switch box. You plug in your RF cord such as off your 2600 into it and it has composite and audio out. Of course the quality will still be just as bad as RF only and possibly worse but I would want one for testing purposes. Too much of a pain to mod every single non-composite system especially if you just want to test that they work.

Its not like a modern LCD would even have RF input anymore. I know that I use a little 7 inch LCD with composite only inputs but I can't use them with old systems.

You can use a VCR but that is just way too much work. I just want a little box about the size of a RF modulator.

Suggestions for something cheap?

I have never seen a demodulator. Only modulators. A rf modulator is the commonly available device (target/best buy/frys/etc) that takes composite INPUT and outputs RF that is connected to the antenna input on older TVs that don't have composite inputs. Those are cheap and I have several but they are the opposite of what I want.

I want to take RF input and convert it to composite output.

If you are just using it to test systems, just pick up a little TV at Goodwill. I've got a couple of really small 9" Sony Trinitrons that have RF and av inputs that I use for bench testing systems and they work great. I've even tossed them in my car to demo systems that I sell on Craigslist with a little power inverter.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, yikes. Looks like you'll be spending around $80 online for that. I wonder how hard it'd be to isolate the circuit responsible for this from a VCR & install in a little project box.

Exactly. I don't have that kind of money right now. 20 bux is one thing but 80 is another. And with shipping, its actually around 100 dollars. Eeek.

That is what I was hoping for, was a way of isolating the circuit used in VCRs or something like that. And I really don't want to deal with another tv even if its a small one. My 7 inch lcd is tiny and works perfectly for composite inputs, just has no tuner/rf inputs.

Edited by bobotech

Pick up a little TV for now, probably $10 at a non-Goodwill thrift. Then keep your eyes out at thrifts; I have seen at least three demodulators, including the one I bought for like $7.99 or so.

EDIT: or......run the input into a VCR and back out through the RF.

Edited by Chuck D. Head
  • Like 1

Pick up a little TV for now, probably $10 at a non-Goodwill thrift. Then keep your eyes out at thrifts; I have seen at least three demodulators, including the one I bought for like $7.99 or so.

Except he already said that he doesn't want a VCR or another TV. Are you sure what you found weren't the standard old RF modulators that let you hook up an AV source (like a DVD player) to an older TV? Those are cheap and everywhere. What he wants is totally different.

I think maybe he does want another TV and doesn't know it; it'd be simpler than yet another piece of powered equipment and it'd Just Work.

Hey, any idea if those RF Modulators happen to work in reverse? It's a longshot but possible.

I can't see how. The modulator is like a little TV station for lack of a better description that "broadcasts" the input on the selected channel (3 or 4 usually) so the TV's tuner can receive it.

Except he already said that he doesn't want a VCR or another TV. Are you sure what you found weren't the standard old RF modulators that let you hook up an AV source (like a DVD player) to an older TV? Those are cheap and everywhere. What he wants is totally different.

Missed that he said he didn't want a tv / vcr. Mine is almost exactly like this one, maybe a little larger and has internal power supply. Note that it only has one audio out jack, maybe the stereo can't be split back out of the composite signal?

Missed that he said he didn't want a tv / vcr. Mine is almost exactly like this one, maybe a little larger and has internal power supply. Note that it only has one audio out jack, maybe the stereo can't be split back out of the composite signal?

No biggie. That was a sweet Goodwill find then, I imagine most folks would have no idea what that was ever for.

I wonder why MCM stopped selling those?

No biggie. That was a sweet Goodwill find then, I imagine most folks would have no idea what that was ever for.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Something simple and easy to use. But i was hoping for cheap. just seems odd that those devices are so pricy compared to the common RF Modulators.

On a related note, if you run the system through a VCR is the quality a lot worse than RF or pretty much the same?

In my experience it is the same or better. It is like composite but with the RF interference. The sound is separated from the video but you still have to minimize the interference from the Atari to the VCR. S-VHS(what I use as my demodulator) is even better because it is s-video. I don't own a D-VHS yet but I assume that since it has component out that it would be even better. It might even work well with an s-video modified Atari because it would have even more color separation going out through the component cables.

On a related note, if you run the system through a VCR is the quality a lot worse than RF or pretty much the same?

In my experience it is the same or better. It is like composite but with the RF interference. The sound is separated from the video but you still have to minimize the interference from the Atari to the VCR. S-VHS(what I use as my demodulator) is even better because it is s-video. I don't own a D-VHS yet but I assume that since it has component out that it would be even better. It might even work well with an s-video modified Atari because it would have even more color separation going out through the component cables.

Thanks!

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Something simple and easy to use. But i was hoping for cheap. just seems odd that those devices are so pricy compared to the common RF Modulators.

The keyword is common. RF modulators are cheap because they are common. The most common RF demodulator you will find that you might already have is a cable/satellite box. Another thing you could try is an NTSC TV tuner with an RF in that you hook into your USB and use the screen you are reading this on to test your systems.

Something like this might work: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2505725074421?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250572507442&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] It looks like it has composite out in addition to vga. Way back there used to also be add-on tv tuners for composite monitors which is essentially an older version what this is. The only disadvantage may be is that you may have to retune to the channel whenever it looses power vs a switch to pick from a couple channels.

Something like this might work: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2505725074421?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250572507442&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] It looks like it has composite out in addition to vga. Way back there used to also be add-on tv tuners for composite monitors which is essentially an older version what this is. The only disadvantage may be is that you may have to retune to the channel whenever it looses power vs a switch to pick from a couple channels.

30 bux (including shipping). Not bad. I'm tempted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

30 bux (including shipping). Not bad. I'm tempted.

Hey bobotech, did you buy the $30 one?