IGNORED

Seaweed Assault is Finally Finished (Atari 2600 Game)

Random Terrain

Sometimes the seaweed will form a wall. It is harder to shoot vertically so, what you want to do is shoot vertically, kind of wiggle back and forth in place to avoid triggering the tentacle, readjust your aim, and fire again. When you get a hole around 3 or 4 pieces of seaweed thick, you do the up then over type tapping to swing the Manatee in there while timing it so you will shoot the row instead of ramming it.

This is the hardest part by far, being able to shoot vertically to get into a row. The game field can totally fill, but you can still miss a shot.

It becomes easy after awhile. When you get good at keeping up with the seaweed it becomes a rare situation anyway. For me the hardest part is getting out of seaweed when I accidentally get stuck but I've gotten better at that too. I know the right ways to move, shoot, and use the tentacle to get me out. It Is no problem when health is full but when it is almost gone is when I get screwed.

What you playing with? Stella or Harmony? Controller?

What you playing with? Stella or Harmony? Controller?

Stock controller, that for some reason felt slimy... and not great response. I did feel that a different stick would help a bit.

And I used a harmony on a Light Six Sears.

I may try it again tonight, I REALLY need to work on other projects since I hooked up the 2600 again.

Plus it was on my 9" portable TV with DVD, and it looked flawless, and my computer chair is getting lerpy, so I blame that as well for keeping me off balance.

I have to see if I can get to where is is fun to clear out the seaweed, right now it is more like work. I did test the pause and it worked with no issues. And I saw it went into an "Attract Mode".

I havent had a chance to play this since the day I downloaded it. I will buy a copy, too. Say the word!!

I'd take a physical copy. :thumbsup:

AX

put me down for two if it ever makes it to the real world :)

Thanks. If it happens, the carts will probably be available some time in 2012. Then people can argue many years in the future about the release date. "But the copyright date on the title screen says 2011! How could it be released in 2012?"

How much time do you think you have invested into this game do you think? Must have been a lot. I love how much thought you put into the backstory. I think it REALLY adds to the game. Makes it feel like so much more than just a shooter!

well done on finishing the game.just played it and its awesome put me down for a cart if you get them made would be well good if you made them boxed with paper manual

Thanks.

How much time do you think you have invested into this game do you think? Must have been a lot. I love how much thought you put into the backstory. I think it REALLY adds to the game. Makes it feel like so much more than just a shooter!

It started out as an example program in August of 2010:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/168323-example-program-shoot-missile-in-8-directions/

I worked on it for about 3 months after that (with a lot of help from better programmers) and posted a version on November 30, 2010. I worked on it some more in December, but couldn't finish before 2011.

I worked on it a little here and there, but not much during the first half of 2011. I mostly worked on example programs and adapted assembly language programming tutorials for my web site.

On August 23, 2011, RevEng reminded me that I should probably get this finished before trying to finish other games, so I started working full-time on Seaweed Assault again. Through most of September and October, Schizophretard provided many ideas and did a lot of bug testing and we finally got it to a point where we could call it finished.

After condensing all of that time down, I'm guessing it took 5 or 6 months of actual work to finish the game.

I like it a lot! It's a fun shooter! Ya know I ALWAYS figured if RT made a new Atari game it would be a sequel to E.T. since that is his all time fav.

Thanks. E.T. is my favorite Atari 2600 Adventure game, but I'm not sure that it's my favorite game above all others. Sometimes my favorite game is Solar Fox or Lock 'N' Chase or Laser Gates or . . .

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-favorite-games.html

Congrats!

I mentioned SA during my Atari Homebrew presentation and included a screenshot of it on one of my bB slides!

Thanks.

(I've been offline for a couple of days while putting together a computer desk and hooking up my new computer. I wonder how many days it will take to enter my passwords and download Firefox add-ons and important software like Stella, Visual batari Basic, Moffsoft FreeCalc and so on.)

Your welcome!

I've uploaded the slides (5.7 MB PDF) if you care to check them out.

Thanks. I just downloaded it.

Speaking of Seaweed Assault, I got a Google Alert while I was offline about this review:

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/11/seaweed-assault-atari-2600.html

• Like 3

Your welcome!

I've uploaded the slides (5.7 MB PDF) if you care to check them out.

Thanks. I just downloaded it.

Speaking of Seaweed Assault, I got a Google Alert while I was offline about this review:

http://www.rgcd.co.u...atari-2600.html

Awesome, congrats. I hope this inspires you to make some more games :)

-B

Here's a review in some kind of forum:

http://www.dmrozek.w...2600%29-5568499

What is Worming War I? Never heard of a homebrew with that name. I've heard of Worm War I by 20th Century Fox:

Edited by Random Terrain

That's the forum for The Video Game Critic.

Sounds like he's mangled Warring Worms (a homebrew) with Worm War I (a commercial game by 20th Century Fox), neither of which is like your game :?

Oh, OK. Thanks. Yeah, after checking YouTube, Warring Worms looks more like Surround: