IGNORED

Remaining OS-B games still not fixed to be XL friendly?

ACML

Still has the same problem - locks up after go on enter initials screen ?

What OS are you running? If its a 1200XL with REV 10 (Rev A), then you should look into updating it to the Final Rev 11 (Rev B) version. The Rev B fixes most incompatibilites that the production 1200XL had, but it is still going to habe the same issues as the 600/800XL.

What OS are you running? If its a 1200XL with REV 10 (Rev A), then you should look into updating it to the Final Rev 11 (Rev B) version. The Rev B fixes most incompatibilites that the production 1200XL had, but it is still going to habe the same issues as the 600/800XL.

I'm on a PAL 130XE usually (or sometimes an 800XL) I only quickly tried the one you posted on Altirra (600XL/800XL firmware) ;)

Thanks thorfdgb :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How difficult was this to fix ? If you want to share I might have a go at another one perhaps? (the same coder did Lunar Leeper (ATR) which has a similar problem if I remember correctly (the xex file version was no good as It doesn't play past level 1) :ponder:

Thanks thorfdgb :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How difficult was this to fix ? If you want to share I might have a go at another one perhaps? (the same coder did Lunar Leeper (ATR) which has a similar problem if I remember correctly (the xex file version was no good as It doesn't play past level 1) :ponder:

Pretty easy, though without any further fix it won't run on OsA/B. The problem is that the XL Os' have a zero-page pointer to the keyboard translation table not available in OsA/B, which would require some extra care to make it working on the older Os'es as well.

Anyhow, this wasn't a major issue.

• 1 year later...

Beat me... my UltraEdit had expired so had to grab another hex editor.

The fix I found was to just change instruction at $A2D4 to a JMP $A2E5 - skips a loop that copies to the vector area @ $200.

I guess this was probably a diag mode cart originally, shows the dangers of doing software as such because you can't necessarily initialize the OS area in RAM and have it work on all OSes.

May as well include my Xex in case the xxl one is different and doesn't work:

K-Razy Kritters XL.xex

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

OK... I've found a fix but unsure if it's complete.

The problem with the game is it trashes the GINTLK shadow which holds cartridge state, causing a lockup as the OS thinks a cart change has occurred.

The game copies some data, the code is around $37EA - why it's throwing lots of stuff down in Page 3, no idea, maybe game relevant variables are stored there.

Don't think I'll get time to look at it any deeper for a while, but it's a starting point.

To recreate what I managed:

Enable Debugger, enter "BA W 3FA" in the console (sets breakpoint when 31A gets written to)

Load the executable. The emulation will stop a few times, you have to press F8 to continue.

Check the break address each time it stops. The first couple of stops will be by the OS writing to that location.

You want to let it go until the game code writes there.

Once the game code has trashed 3FA, enter in the debugger "E 3FA 0" (sets cart state to what it should be).

The game should now function on the XL, at least partially.

Edited by Rybags

should work right.
nice game btw.

XXL,

Outstanding!! This is a great classic. The first game I ever purchased (cassette) in 1981. Anyway you can do the same for Ghost Hunter 1? Ghost Hunter was the original color scheme of the 1981 release on cassette? Thank you !!!

Wow! Ghost Hunter is an absolute classic for me. As xxl has opined, it is indeed a nice game. For a Pacman knock off, it goes one step further. It allows dual player (read simultaneous) play which is a really awesome feature. Lots more fun to play with someone else instead of one having to wait for the other to die. Some strategy involved as well when play cooperatively or as an opponent. Racing for points or knowing when and when not to (timing) hit the base buttons. A nice twist to Pacman and the play ability is quite good. I think I owned this even before Atari Pacman came out! It took 3-4 minutes to load on cassette, but I played it a lot. Thanks again xxl!!! I think I need to challenge my 11 year old tonight!

Edited by ACML