IGNORED

Rusty Quarters arcade to open in Minneapolis

S1500

• 3 years later...

It sounds like it's tricky creating a business model that will keep an arcade afloat these days.

Rusty Quarters' business model was that from 1982. The business model nowadays is an arcade bar or an arcade where you can BYOB. Timeline Arcade in Hanover, PA has been open for years now and they have events and BYOB.

• 5 weeks later...

Rusty Quarters is gone - the new spot is UpDown arcade bar.

http://www.updownmpls.com/

UpDown is really great - their machines are in nice shape and they have a great selection. The layout kind of sucks, but I understand that sometimes you have to just work with the space that you can get. It is an arcade bar - and they sell cheap tokens instead of having the games on free play. You can either buy tokens or you get a few with each drink.

Rusty Quarters didn't know what it wanted to be. It was like the owner wanted public funding for his own collection of games. I tried to go there like four times when they were in business during their posted hours - and every time they were closed. when I would look at their facebook page later, I would see a post that basically said "I didn't feel like going to work today so we are closed". If he could have at least kept to posted hours - maybe he would have been a bit more popular.

We also have Hidden Treasures arcade, which actually is just a couple of guys trying to fund their own collection. They have their "final" event scheduled for 1/28. They were open one weekend every other month for a while... but it has been about a year since their last event. It sounds like they are shutting down completely now.

Rusty Quarters didn't know what it wanted to be. It was like the owner wanted public funding for his own collection of games. I tried to go there like four times when they were in business during their posted hours - and every time they were closed. when I would look at their facebook page later, I would see a post that basically said "I didn't feel like going to work today so we are closed". If he could have at least kept to posted hours - maybe he would have been a bit more popular.

I've seen others complain about that. Supposedly, one time he closed early so he could go across the street to watch a movie. It seems to me that he didn't want the responsibility of running a business.

Rusty Quarters is gone - the new spot is UpDown arcade bar.

http://www.updownmpls.com/

Yeah, he was doomed from the get go. That detail about him "didn't feel like going to work" really is funny and sad, pathetic probably works here too.

I was following that thread when he initially was plugging his new arcade on KLOV. I'm pretty sure what pissed people off, not that fact he need a crowdfunding source to pay for rent *once*, but he tried multiple times when couldn't cover rent for the next month and the next. Here's the kicker, during one of his "rent campaigns", he wanted to buy some coin op games... That really put people over the edge - including myself.

He absolutely did not have a clue. We offered advice and criticism - he just didn't care.

Yeah, he was doomed from the get go. That detail about him "didn't feel like going to work" really is funny and sad, pathetic probably works here too.

I was following that thread when he initially was plugging his new arcade on KLOV. I'm pretty sure what pissed people off, not that fact he need a crowdfunding source to pay for rent *once*, but he tried multiple times when couldn't cover rent for the next month and the next. Here's the kicker, during one of his "rent campaigns", he wanted to buy some coin op games... That really put people over the edge - including myself.

He absolutely did not have a clue. We offered advice and criticism - he just didn't care.

My favorite part of those threads on KLOV was about the inadequate signage for his arcade. :)

• Like 1