IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

Most of you paid $50+ bucks for an Atari cart back in the early 80's and now you crab about the price of 2600 Boulderdash? No wonder Lucas says he's going to retire. Sounds to me like most of you have more nerve endings in your arses compared to your skulls.

Most of you paid $50+ bucks for an Atari cart back in the early 80's and now you crab about the price of 2600 Boulderdash? No wonder Lucas says he's going to retire. Sounds to me like most of you have more nerve endings in your arses compared to your skulls.

Who in the heck paid over 50 bucks for an Atari cartridge in the early 1980s? Most games were way under 40 bucks. Super new, hot, hot, hot games might have been in the high 30s, but most games were in the 20s and low 30s. And there were plenty of marked down games at various stores that were under 14 bucks.

Most of you paid $50+ bucks for an Atari cart back in the early 80's

I was a kid in the early 1980s and wasn't buying my own games, but I can pretty much guarantee that my parents never paid more than $20-25 for any of the carts we bought. Almost everything we got was used, and what we got new was almost always remaindered or heavily discounted.

If you can't afford it then I suggest you find a new hobby

I don't appreciate being told that those of us without large amounts of disposable income should "find a new hobby". I've purchased BD and have no problem with the price, but I'll freely admit it's the second-highest amount I've ever paid for a game, and I absolutely can't afford to make a habit of buying games in this price range.

Seriously, could we ease up on the nasty-ass jibes? I realize that some of the comments about the price have been impolite at best, but some of the comments made in retaliation have been worse, frankly.

Free boulder included in every box?

I like how you think, but that would make the packages too heavy.

How about a packet of pepper? Get it? It's a "dash" of pepper and under a microscope each grain probably looks like a boulder. :D

Microscope sold separately.

I'm sure they don't want to charge that much for the game also, but I'm sure the licencing to make the game from First Star Software was not cheap. The developers don't want to say too mcuh about it, but I would guess that over half the cost of the game is due to licencing.

I'd like to head-off any speculation on this issue. The price is what it is. It's a balance between a number of factors, including production cost and of course licensing fees. First Star Software's licensing was reasonable enough -- otherwise I would not have entered into an agreement with them. If this means the final product cost is too much for you then of course, don't buy it. I am very sure that those who do are getting more than their money's worth. This has taken nearly a decade to program so you're only paying for, what, $8 per year of development. It's actually a teriffically fun game to play, with very few concessions to being a '2600 game. Anyone who feels, after buying it, that it's not any good -- well, I'll buy their copy back off them. So please, no more price grumbling!

Cheers

A

I was actually defending you -- not even buying the game. :) Sorry if it came off the wrong way.

You can search for many many Sears, Wards, and JC Pennys catalogs as photostreams... (that will take you back)

1980 wishbook Atari console $159

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/3114585618/

1980 wishbook games

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/3114585830/

1980 wishbook game prices, most are $19.95, poker and space invaders are $27.95, Chess and Backgammon are a whopping $39.95 each

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/3114586076/

Inflation reaffirmed: According to the inflation calculator at http://www.westegg.com/inflation/:

What cost $
in 1980 would cost $
in 2010.

Can you imagine what they would have paid for Boulderdash?!

Well, I paid 129 DM for Starmaster. Which would be ~66€ or $85 today. Without inflation!

Hehe I paid DM 129 for Codebreaker in 1986 (from Real Kauf no less)

To chime in here: I remember paying DM 129 for all of my Atari 2600 games as a teen. I totally spent all of my pocket money for them back then. My parents would never have bought one for me. I had to make sure, my brother and me had the Atari fun we deserved :)