IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

I play Boulder Dash just about every day. I find myself quite disconnected from the actual algorithms and code used to make it all work. Although I troll through the code time and time again, there are very few optimisations I can find. It's one of those rare programs you just look at and know that you really can't do any better. There are some design decisions I would change if I had the time again (a better bank-switching scheme), but given the choices made, it's better than I could possibly have hoped for at the start. I often look at the finished product and basically wonder how it was possible. Yeah, I did the underlying systems... but they're so abstract and removed from the experience of playing, it's hard to equate those systems with the final result. I'm very very proud of the work Thomas and I have done on this. It's my personal "best ever". So, I don't know how many copies are unsold. But what I do know... or at least hope, is that when the first copies start arriving in your hands... well, hopefully some of you will post reviews. And hopefully they will be as positive about the game as I am. At that point (after the first few reviews..) I really expect the remainder of the unsold copies to disappear pretty damn quick

• Like 3

It's one of those rare programs you just look at and know that you really can't do any better.

Never say never. :)

I recently got an idea how to handle tasks more efficiently (much less CPU overhead, but a bit more ROM space), but I still have to make it work. I even made a spreadsheet for that, which calculates the most efficient task length based on overhead, time-slots, etc.

Basically instead of a centralized task manager, you go back to ordinary 2600 code and let the tasks decide where to go next. Just with a lot of macros for time checks, reentry etc.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Maybe something a little less brand oriented? Like a tile based graphic engine template?

Sure be nice to see the benefits of development spill over to more developers. Maybe Ultima 2600 isn't such a stretch :) okay, okay, at least someone could finish the Homestar Runner RPG :P

Edited by theloon

. I even made a spreadsheet for that, which calculates the most efficient task length based on overhead, time-slots, etc.

Basically instead of a centralized task manager, you go back to ordinary 2600 code and let the tasks decide where to go next.

Don't you just love the germans! :D

Actually Thomas, my work recently banned access to gaming sites like AA :_( You couldn't put together some code to bypass the screening? :ponder:

Edited by Dino

. I even made a spreadsheet for that, which calculates the most efficient task length based on overhead, time-slots, etc.

Basically instead of a centralized task manager, you go back to ordinary 2600 code and let the tasks decide where to go next.

Don't you just love the germans! :D

Actually Thomas, my work recently banned access to gaming sites like AA :_( You couldn't put together some code to bypass the screening? :ponder:

Wouldn't expect anything else from the super efficent and organized and anal Germans. :P

This may be a dumb question, but would you be allowed to use some of the engine code for something else?

Or, is that the property of FSS?

This is the first "officially licensed" game in years-- I'm not sure if there are legal ramifications.-

John

This may be a dumb question, but would you be allowed to use some of the engine code for something else?

Or, is that the property of FSS?

The engine code is ours. IIRC Andrew had the idea to make it public available.

It has always been my desire to release the source to the engine, publicly. However, *everything* Boulder Dash related needs to be stripped out, first.

As Thomas noted, we have retained ownership of the engine and algorithms for the display system.

Cheers

A

Good move, guys. That was smart thinking.

Now they are free to make Doulder Bash! All they have to do is change the graphics, music, and sound effects a little and they can sell it for only 30 bucks!

I'm thinking it should be more of an 'office supply warehouse' worker scenario redux, and we'll call it "Folder Crash".

• Like 1

Emerald mines, prospector in the mazes of XOR, Repton, etc. there are plenty of rip offs you return the favor to and re-rip off them... There were also some pretty cool ideas and mock ups for other game play ideas that could be used with this kind of engine in an earlier thread Andrew started from before he knew he had fss.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on where Boulder Dash stands. I now have all the materials on hand to start shipping Boulder Dash. This includes:

- Cartridge shells (recycled, cleaned and ready for use!)

- Special Boulder Dash-specific Melody circuit boards

- Labels

- Manuals

- Boxes

- Box inserts

- Polyethylene (plastic) bags (to protect the box!)

- ...and two special bonus items that haven't been revealed!

I'm now hard at work assembling and testing Boulder Dash carts, with a goal to ship as many copies as I can by the end of the month. There are still roughly 50 copies available, so if you haven't picked up a copy of this great game, don't hesitate or you may lose your chance! You can purchase it in the AtariAge Store here:

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=999

..Al

• Like 5

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on where Boulder Dash stands. I now have all the materials on hand to start shipping Boulder Dash. This includes:

- Labels

- Manuals

- Boxes

- Box inserts

I'm now hard at work assembling and testing Boulder Dash carts, with a goal to ship as many copies as I can by the end of the month. There are still roughly 50 copies available, so if you haven't picked up a copy of this great game, don't hesitate or you may lose your chance! You can purchase it in the AtariAge Store here:

http://atariage.com/...ct_detail&p=999

..Al

I am sure you can sell those extra 50 or so copies at CGEXPO.

- Labels

- Manuals

- Boxes

- Box inserts

http://atariage.com/...ct_detail&p=999

..Al

I saw this in my e-mail today... and the only thing I could think of was: "I hope both copies come in the same box". Albert, you and the other guys are to be commended! I can't wait to play this, and I hope those other 50 copies sell out quick. :-D

I'd buy one, but I'm not a collector, so I'll save my copy for someone who will really appreciate it.

. :D

Buy it to play it.

I played the crap out of it on my Commodore 64, so I got a little tired of it.

But ya haven't played the crap out of it on the 2600 :)