IGNORED

Put together a small RGB adapter for the Jag

thgill

Recently picked up another Jag and wanted an RGB cable for it, so I knocked together this cheap-o RGB adapter box so that I can plug in my RGB cable to my monitor.

IMG_0036%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Plugs directly into the back of the Jag. Stereo audio connectors and a HD15 pin port for my cable. My RGB cable has the 15 pin connector to 4 BNC connectors for my JVC monitor. Similar setup to Sony PVM monitors that have RGB input.

IMG_0035%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Side view. Since I didn't have the proper 24 pin connector handy, I cut down a 34 pin 5.25" floppy disk drive cable to be the proper size. I left the ribbon cable attached and cut it down to the wires I needed. Then I hot glued it to the front of the case and drilled small hole and ran the wires into the case.

IMG_0034%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Inside view. Not much to it in all reality. Direct connections for Red, Green, Blue, Gnd and Composite Sync. Same thing with Left and Right Audio and Gnd.

Project Parts:

3"x2"x1" Project enclosure: $2.69

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062279

Stereo RCA Jacks: $4:19 (there are 2 of these, red and white, in one package)

http://www.radioshac...%23038%3B+jacks

HD15 15 pin Female connector: $2.29

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2102496

Cut down 5.25" floppy drive cable and connector: Free

Since I already had the floppy connector and ribbon cable, only about $10 in parts was needed from Radio Shack to build this simple little box.

Couple Iron Soldier RGB shots (shot at night time with just an iPhone 4):

IMG_0039%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

IMG_0040%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

IMG_0041%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

IMG_0042%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

• Like 1

Dude, that's pretty sweet. I happened to get a SCART cable with my system, so I just made a SCART -> HD15 adapter to attach to it, but if I hadn't, I would have used your idea, here.

What kind of TV is that? Is it the one you have listed in your sig? Never heard of it...

Chris

Yeah, its the one in my sig. Its not really a TV per say. Its a broadcast monitor much like Sony PVM monitors. Has 2 composite inputs, s-video and RGB. No built in TV tuner so its a monitor. Both NTSC and PAL compatible.

Picked it up off ebay earlier this year for around $80 or so shipped.

Works great with pretty much everything I have thrown at it. I have also used it with Amiga, Genesis and Atari ST via RGB.

Currently its shared between the Jag and my 8 bit Atari stuff.

Edited by thgill
  • Like 1

I don't have the cd unit so I am not sure.

Though looking at some pics of cd unit via google, I would say it probably does get in the way.

Hmmmm...

Might need to work on version 2 of this.

If you get version 2 happening, I'd buy one from you! I'm not very mechanically inclined.... I bet a lot of people would be interested in this!

If you get version 2 happening, I'd buy one from you! I'm not very mechanically inclined.... I bet a lot of people would be interested in this!

Hmm. Any serious interest from other users as well? I was thinking of build a run of RGB adapters however I haven't decided on all the details.

Here is a couple ideas/options I had in mind:

1. Cable that has regular 6ft S-video/Composite and Stereo leads along with an RGB connector as well.

2. Pigtail Harness style version of the above. Cable has ~12 inch female S-video, Composite and Stereo and RGB connectors. That way you can plug in whatever length and quality of cable you like. Uses regular cables.

3. Something close to what I built in this thread. These require quite a bit of work as far as connector cutouts go and I am not sure this is the what I want to do.

Personally I like option 2. That way if you only need a 3 ft cable or 12 ft cable, you are good to go with standard A/V cables. The RGB connector is a sticking point though. Since this is for an Atari product, the proper thing to do would be use a female 13 pin din connector that way you can plug in a regular Atari SC1224 monitor and go. No special cables or adapters required. Just plug the Atari monitor cable into my Jag harness and go. I could go with DB9 or HD15 pin connectors, however 13 pin Atari seems most appropriate. I could sell loose male 13 pin connectors as well for those need to build an RGB cable for their monitor (like Commodore 1084 and etc).

Perhaps a second thread outlining this would be a good idea.

Thoughts?

Hmm. Any serious interest from other users as well? I was thinking of build a run of RGB adapters however I haven't decided on all the details.

Here is a couple ideas/options I had in mind:

1. Cable that has regular 6ft S-video/Composite and Stereo leads along with an RGB connector as well.

2. Pigtail Harness style version of the above. Cable has ~12 inch female S-video, Composite and Stereo and RGB connectors. That way you can plug in whatever length and quality of cable you like. Uses regular cables.

3. Something close to what I built in this thread. These require quite a bit of work as far as connector cutouts go and I am not sure this is the what I want to do.

Personally I like option 2. That way if you only need a 3 ft cable or 12 ft cable, you are good to go with standard A/V cables. The RGB connector is a sticking point though. Since this is for an Atari product, the proper thing to do would be use a female 13 pin din connector that way you can plug in a regular Atari SC1224 monitor and go. No special cables or adapters required. Just plug the Atari monitor cable into my Jag harness and go. I could go with DB9 or HD15 pin connectors, however 13 pin Atari seems most appropriate. I could sell loose male 13 pin connectors as well for those need to build an RGB cable for their monitor (like Commodore 1084 and etc).

Perhaps a second thread outlining this would be a good idea.

Thoughts?

I like option #2 but I would have to figure out how to connect the RGB to my Sony PVM-20M2MDU monitor that has BNC inputs.

I know there are VGA HD 15 Pin cables with BNC connectors and I've also seen RCA to BNC connectors.

I'm interested in one if I can adapt it to work on my Sony.

I like option #2 but I would have to figure out how to connect the RGB to my Sony PVM-20M2MDU monitor that has BNC inputs.

I know there are VGA HD 15 Pin cables with BNC connectors and I've also seen RCA to BNC connectors.

I'm interested in one if I can adapt it to work on my Sony.

Yeah, HD15 pin (vga connector) to 4 or 5 BNC is pretty common and cheap. I bought mine from eBay for like $6

Thats not analog 15 KHz RGB.

Its regular 31KHz VGA.

With this harness the best you could do is S-video. Unless you purchase a costly RGB to VGA upscaler.

This is one reason I am reluctant to use a HD15 pin connector on the harness as some could mistaken it for VGA output.

Thats not analog 15 KHz RGB.

Its regular 31KHz VGA.

With this harness the best you could do is S-video. Unless you purchase a costly RGB to VGA upscaler.

This is one reason I am reluctant to use a HD15 pin connector on the harness as some could mistaken it for VGA output.

Since RGB is the best signal you can possibly get from the Jag, I think it would be ok to use the standard connector... I've been thinking about getting an upscaler anyways, and I'm pretty sure they won't have the old Atari style connector.. Just a thought to reach more potential customers, but I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be fine... I'd still buy one...