IGNORED

Blue Lightning - Anyone actually beat it?!

kevincal

Considering that the Lynx version came out three years after Top Gun, I'm very much doubting anyone made that joke, ever.

What are you talking about? Have you seen how bad Blue Lightning is as a simulator? Have you ever played the Jaguar with someone other than yourself? Are you a fan of Top Gun or no anyone that is?

No one is questioning what came out when.

Talk about a straw man in the conversation...

Edited by minux

Blue Lighting is actually one of my favorite Jag games...... Of course, Blue Lightning was my all time favorite game on the Lynx.

I guess people just like to talk crap about the Jaguar.... I think if the game came out for the 3D0 or N64, it would have earned

rave reviews.... Most of the press was anti-Atari for the most part.

I realize the graphics are a little too pixelated for some, but I always found the controls pretty tight and the arcade gameplay

addicting. The 32x version of Afterburner probably is cleaner looking when it comes to scaling, but didn't have the depth

of missions like Blue Lightning.

Blue Lighting is actually one of my favorite Jag games...... Of course, Blue Lightning was my all time favorite game on the Lynx.

I guess people just like to talk crap about the Jaguar.... I think if the game came out for the 3D0 or N64, it would have earned

rave reviews.... Most of the press was anti-Atari for the most part.

I realize the graphics are a little too pixelated for some, but I always found the controls pretty tight and the arcade gameplay

addicting. The 32x version of Afterburner probably is cleaner looking when it comes to scaling, but didn't have the depth

of missions like Blue Lightning.

Yeah I think the main reason it got so much criticism at the time is because people were really expecting something "Next Gen" (IE 3D) rather than a scaling sprites game. Appreciated on it's own merits I don't think Blue Lightning is a bad game and even hold up pretty well against Afterburner 32x which I find to be a real gem.

All this talk about BL makes me want to give it another try. Probably have more of an appreciation for it today than when it was first released. Always thought of it as something of an After Burner/Space Harrier clone, two games from the 80's, so yeah - for something like that to pop up by the mid 90's and on CD no less, wasn't exactly impressive at the time. /understatement

Had to re-read the thread heading... thought it said "Blue Lightning, anyone actually play it"? :lol:

My buddy and I had a blast playing this game... and beat it without the use of a Memory Track. Took us an entire day, but we managed! All glorious 27 seconds of FMV at the end was totally worth it. ;-) It's funny though... he still holds that game in such high regard when we talk about flight sims around other people.

Edited by Clint Thompson

It really does makes sense.... I think people who grew up playing the scaling Sega games like OutRun, Space Harrier and Afterburner understand what Blue Lightning was all about. Those that didn't, completely miss the point. The other criteria is that if you liked Blue Lightning on the Lynx, then you'll probably at least like/love it on the Jaguar. I know the Starfox fans talk crap about Cybermorph / Blue Lightning all the time -- but give me a break..... You've got a bunch of stupid looking furry animals having conversations in your "groundbreaking" space shooter. I'll take Blue Lightning over all those goofy cut scenes of talking farm animals any day.