IGNORED

Season 5 Round 10 *Oil's Well*

Oil's Well

Oils%20Well.png

You're rich . . . maybe. Geologists have just located one of the largest oil deposits in North America, on your land! But you have to get it out of the ground before you can spend it. The other oil barons are jealous, and they would do anything to sabotage your operation. They have planted oozies and land mines in your oil fields to wreck your drilling equipment. Don't let them cheat you out of your millions!

Game Information

Game Name: Oil's Well

Released by: SierraVision, 1983

Original arcade game by: N/A

CV HSC High Score: 95,620 by duncantoml (Jan 2008)

TwinGalaxies High Score: 119,270 by Alan (Aug 2001)

Settings: Regular - 1 Player

This game was suggested by: patbb & Ikrananka

Contest Ends

Saturday, 19 November 2011 at 1:00AM EST

Quick-Start-Bonus-Info and HSC Rules

Final High Scores

1. ChuckH 519,150 [+10]

2. Mangia-Boy 140,580 [+9]

3. patbb 132,320 [+8]

4. jblenkle 131,500 [+6]

5. AtariBrian 107,700 [+4]

6. skosh 67,650 [+2]

7. Ikrananka 58,120 [+1]

8. atariron82 54,530 [+1]

9. JacobZu7zu7 39,920 [+1]

10. ed1475 35,110 [+1]

11. roadrunner 28,630 [+1]

12. Yurkie 24,200 [+1]

Leaderboard

1. Mangia-Boy [57] (9)

2. jblenkle [51] (9) 1

3. patbb [49] (9) 1

4. ed1475 [44] (9) 2 1

5. skosh [30] (3) 1

6. atariron82 [29] (4) 1

7. chuckwalla [26] (4) 1

8. Ikrananka [24] (9)

9. JacobZu7zu7 [19] (8)

10. Ms. Do [13] (1) 1

11. purenergy [10] (2)

12. retroillucid [10] (1) 1

13. Akito01 [8] (1)

14. ColecoDan [6] (1)

14. ChuckH [6] (1)

16. roadrunner [5] (5)

17. rmaerz [5] (3)

18. Yurkie [5] (2)

19. SegaShooters [2] (1)

20. cmart604 [1] (1)

20. NIAD [1] (1)

20. 1982VideoGames [1] (1)

20. centiqueen81 [1] (1)

[ ] = Points

( ) = Rounds Played

BLUE = Rounds Won

GOLD = Seasons Won

Edited by Ikrananka

Oil's Well - 43,580

post-9212-0-90152400-1320875928_thumb.gif

Anyone got any tips on playing this game? It seems to be impossible to get through some levels without losing at least one life, and, of course if you do that...you aren't going to get very far.

During the first round ( level 1-8 ) you should have enough time to complete all the levels in time.

Usually the Oozies will come out almost all at the same time, two per line, one on each side.

Then there is a few seconds without Oozies, you have to use this time to go and get the oil pellets in the places where you have to travel the furthest or where you have to go back and forth to collect the pellets in a region.

When you collect the Petromin nugget (the BIG dot) you have about 10 seconds of Oozies slow down. Use that time to clean the bottom of the screen.

On the second level it's a completely different game strategy.

The Oozies are everywhere, Like Mangia-Boy said, you can get a lot of points by collecting them.

Don't forget that you get an extra life every 10k points.

So try to get the max points in the first level also.

For example I usually gets about 6k points in the first screen.

What I do, for the first 6 screens, is I clean the board completely except for one dot on the first row (left or right end side) and get as many Oozies or Goblets (Green) as possible.

Also, the Oozies are worth more points the deeper you go (20-170 points).

Edited by patbb

Thanks for the tips...I actually figured out the "leave one dot" tip on my own last night. That way you can use the maximum time for collecting points. No sense rushing through the level as you don't get a bonus for completing it quickly.

I'm still having trouble clearing levels 4,5,6 without losing a life, but I'm getting better. It's kind of hit and miss right now.

patbb,

Those are some good tips. Here's a couple more:

1. get as many green cups as you can. They're worth the most points.

2. you get an extra life for every 10,000 points up to max of four. If you have four lives, score up to about 9,000(say 59,000) and then die on purpose. You won't waste a life that way since you'll soon get another one. Spend the extra time racking up points leaving with as little time as possible left. I kill myself on purpose at least a couple of times.

3. on the second pass through, go to the stun pill on all levels immediately by the shortest means possible and clean up the bottom levels first leaving a pill or two near the top(as you said) while you rack up as many points as you can before time expires.

4. make sure you have at least two lives to waste when you enter level eight. On passes two and three it is imperative. On level eight you must go right to the stun pill or you are doomed. Expect to sacrifice a life once in a while.

There are others but practice is the best option and you have to get a little lucky, especially with the slow bomb.

Chuck

Oil's Well - 107,170

post-9212-0-42995100-1321082845_thumb.gif

Edit: Grrrr...I've stalled out on this game again. After having a good run and getting this score, I haven't been able to get past 47,000. Can't seem to reach the bottom on some of the levels and keep losing lives.

Edited by jblenkle

Yeah, this is another game that I never originally played very much. But now it's become quite addictive. I'm starting to get the hang of it now, although you've got to play perfectly when you get to the higher levels. One mistake and you're pretty much toast.

Love this game - got to be one of the best on the ColecoVision. My personal best - 53,380

patbb,

Those are some good tips. Here's a couple more:

1. get as many green cups as you can. They're worth the most points.

2. you get an extra life for every 10,000 points up to max of four. If you have four lives, score up to about 9,000(say 59,000) and then die on purpose. You won't waste a life that way since you'll soon get another one. Spend the extra time racking up points leaving with as little time as possible left. I kill myself on purpose at least a couple of times.

3. on the second pass through, go to the stun pill on all levels immediately by the shortest means possible and clean up the bottom levels first leaving a pill or two near the top(as you said) while you rack up as many points as you can before time expires.

4. make sure you have at least two lives to waste when you enter level eight. On passes two and three it is imperative. On level eight you must go right to the stun pill or you are doomed. Expect to sacrifice a life once in a while.

There are others but practice is the best option and you have to get a little lucky, especially with the slow bomb.

Chuck

1. Greed can be a dangerous game!

2. I never notices that there was of max of 4.

3. I will try that, especially starting at the 3rd screen of the second pass.

4. Level 8 is crazy, it's true that it's very difficult to complete without loosing a life but I did it a few time.

I hate it when the slow bomb appear of the first level!

Thanks for the tips, I will work on those this week for sure.