Posted Mon Nov 7, 2011 8:04 PM
Please don't mistake me for being a pro at this game, as I definitely am not. I do consider myself a fairly competitive amongst a room full of average players.
I have gotten 385,000 on Blue Label(difficulty 3 of 10) and 255,000 on Red Label(difficulty 5 of 10). Not amazing, but not too bad either.
Fortunately for my pocket book, I hardly ever delved into Robotron 2084 at the arcades. It was there, but I somehow knew better than to go anywhere near it. Virtually all of my playing time has been spent on my XArcade with MAME.
It is an extremely fast paced game, and I am willing to bet that there are very few true masters out there. Don't kid yourself, though. There are guys out there that can absolutely tear this game up, and they're not dying very often! If you want to watch board 82, board 416 or any board in double digits, just goto youtube and you will find it. You must try this search to see it for yourself!! Your jaw will fall off your face!!
Five really quick tips for the road that I have discovered:
1. A lot of times you will find you carelessly bump into your enemies. Practice sitting still when you are in the close vicintiy of any and all enemies. While sitting still, fire in all the directions you think would clear a path. There are lots of times where you don't have to be moving to survive.
2. It is possible to increase your firing rate in this game. While your right joystick (fire) is held in a particular direction, the gun will do an auto fire for you. If you can push directions faster than the speed of your auto fire, then you are increasing the rounds of fire per minute. I find a really effective way to spit out a ton of bullets is to do the infamous "RyuKen!!" move from Street Fighter back and forth as absolutely fast as you can. For those who haven't played Street Fighter, it is down, down/right, right for Ryu to throw his blue fire ball. Hence in Robotron2084, it would be dn, dn/rt, rt, dn/rt, dn, dn/rt, rt, dn/rt, dn....use this tactic in any direction, obviously.
3. The red quarks will spawn very quickly as you get deeper into the game. They will usually whip across the board, stick themselves in one of the four corners of the board and proceed to spawn the blue guys that are dangerous and very aggressive. Chances are you will only have time to hit one or two of the red guys. You must practice going to the corner where there are the most quarks(red guys) so less blue guys form, increasing your chances of survival tremendously.
4. Sometimes you have to battle those pesky blue creatures, no matter what. It is a good idea to stay off the perimeter of the board in the presence of these creatures, as their projectiles(that look like rolling jacks) will always fly across the board, then stick to the outside of the screen. The shots from the blue guys are much less effective when you are in the middle of the board. They tend to fly slower, sometimes slow enough that you can run away while shooting not only the projectiles, but the blue guys as weLL!
5. Your mission statement is to save the people. If you do so and somehow stay alive long enough to string a substantial amount of innocent human rescues, you will be rewarded in a big way. Seven can be rescued for 25,000/free man. Stay alive long enough for an additional five rescues and get another 25,000. The humans are heavily populated in the 7th, 12th, 17th board etc...and every 5th board, with the latter being the most populated. Base your game strategy around squeezing as many points out of these boards to stack up on men. The board with the cash registers that throw those softballs at you(7th board) is the best time to practice your quick fire move I mentioned in tip 2.
I hope to hear some feedback, and some additional secret tips on this crazy, insane, two joystick, classic from Williams.