IGNORED

Tips on how to play Robotron 2084?

Austin

31a36ce0199d834a706ade72cdb6056d317ac89e.JPG

This is on default difficulty and tourny settings (5 men no extra men at any point total, just 5 and done)

My first tip is you need to have been playing since the 80s to get the whole real feel of the game :-D

Always keep moving and get to the point where you are being chased and firing behind you

Always get to the outside! Get out of the middle right away

In the late waves right when the wave starts look for the easiest line to get to the outside and blast through

I move around th outside in counter clockwise cirlcles, I find that for being right handed this is the most comfortable on the arcade

Use the trick with keeping Mikey alive because the grunts will try to kill Mikey first, so if you can keep him alive all the other family members will be on the screen, on wave 7 (I think I need to look) this works great, you will need to keep Mikey alive and kill all of the grunts except for one so tht way you can grab all of the family members in a row and rack up some huge 5000 point bonuses

Dont panic

I know thats easier said then done but dont give up when it looks like you are about to be cornered and killed, you will be suprised at how you can fight your way through or escape through a tight path of grunts

This is how I play the game and have been playing the game for years, I always play with the TG Tourny settings as that is to me the best way to judge a players skill on Robotron

If anybody on AA can score higher then my 469k on tourny settings my hats off to them

• Like 1

Heh.. on that note, I totally forgot my strategy to "practice" the game :lol:

I forget exactly what I did.. but I believe it was on the PSX version, I simply set it so that I had nearly unlimited lives (or accumulated them quickly) and basically just kept playing! I'd die thousands of times but just by constantly playing the hard levels by BRUTE FORCE it made me learn the game extra well at it's hard difficulties by sheer immersion and repetition playing wave after wave after wave. 'Course you have to still try your best not to die if you're going to get any value from it. Putting the machine on level 10 difficulty could help as well.

I really don't see anything wrong with this as long as you view it as practice. When all is said and done, after playing dozens and dozens of upper levels when you try a "regular" game with default settings, or the tournament settings mentioned above, it will be old hat.. no problem at all. :P

Edited by NE146

Well, I was able to finally get my 360 issue sorted out (kind of anyway), and so now Robotron is working again. And damn does it look nice on my LCD monitor via the VGA cable (before it was on my 25" CRT). :lust:

I managed to break 400,000 last night. The tips here have been very useful and I think I am making progress. I'm even managing to wave my shots a bit despite having to force it with buttons, and that's helping me get out of tight situations.

I have seen the trick where you leave one brain on screen and just shoot the wavy bullet he fires and build up score very,very slowly,when i saw this the guy playing moved the player to the lower area of the right hand side and just stood there and as the single brain that was left moved and fired the wavy bullet snaked to the right side and headed straight downwards where it was easily picked off..but can you imagine how long you would have to stand there pushing right and firing up?.It would take weeks :sleep:

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like I have been improving a lot this past week. First I hit the high 400ks, then I nailed above 600k on my first play last night (it went downhill from there, naturally), and then tonight (again on my first play), I scored 769,425.

After all this play, I can safely say the tank stages give me the most trouble. Going after the red orb spawners first has helped a lot, as well as making a conscious effort to be aggressive about picking up as many humans as I can. I am still relying on getting those extra lives.

• 11 months later...

In my "Robotron Panel" I recently swapped out Happ Competitor style joyticks which used microswitches for joysticks with leaf switches as the original game had. The new sticks are red ball tops also just like the original Robotron Cabinets. I have the leaf sensitivity on the fire control stick set like a hair trigger - the slightest touch causes firing. On the movement stick [i know there is sick joke in there somehwere] I backed off on the sensitivy for finer control.

Since the joystick change my average score now is much highr than what my old all-time one-off high by quite a bit.

So I guess my tip is use leaf [even if you have to custom mod the panel to hold them like I did] instead of microswitches. That and shoot those circle things fast.

Edited by JL

31a36ce0199d834a706ade72cdb6056d317ac89e.JPG

This is on default difficulty and tourny settings (5 men no extra men at any point total, just 5 and done)

My first tip is you need to have been playing since the 80s to get the whole real feel of the game :-D

Always keep moving and get to the point where you are being chased and firing behind you

Always get to the outside! Get out of the middle right away

In the late waves right when the wave starts look for the easiest line to get to the outside and blast through

I move around th outside in counter clockwise cirlcles, I find that for being right handed this is the most comfortable on the arcade

Use the trick with keeping Mikey alive because the grunts will try to kill Mikey first, so if you can keep him alive all the other family members will be on the screen, on wave 7 (I think I need to look) this works great, you will need to keep Mikey alive and kill all of the grunts except for one so tht way you can grab all of the family members in a row and rack up some huge 5000 point bonuses

Dont panic

I know thats easier said then done but dont give up when it looks like you are about to be cornered and killed, you will be suprised at how you can fight your way through or escape through a tight path of grunts

This is how I play the game and have been playing the game for years, I always play with the TG Tourny settings as that is to me the best way to judge a players skill on Robotron

If anybody on AA can score higher then my 469k on tourny settings my hats off to them

It's been a long time since I played this, but I agree with the bolded. I'll also add that I used to go right after the brains and tanks as I worked my way out of the center. I found it helpful to clear them out quickly.