IGNORED

Need help with how to "edit a sector" of an Apple 2 disk...

HuckleCat

Ok, so I recently have been going crazy with the ADT Pro and putting images to disks. So far I haven't had any problems really, except with Might and Magic. It seems that there's an issue with the first disk constantly loading and not going past the intro screen.

On Asimov there is a nib image that works with emulators, but it will not transfer with ADT Pro. I tried loading the nib image into AppleWin and then copying it with both Disk Muncher and Copy 2 Plus to a dsk image. While the copy seems to go ok, the end result is the same - not going past the loading screen, even though it is a "cracked" title.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/might_and_magic_I/

The dsk images that are already there don't seem to work either.

However, there is a txt file there that explains what is going on and how to fix it, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/might_and_magic_I/might_and_magic_fix.txt

It says to "make the following sector mod", but I'm not quite sure what this means, or how to go about doing it. I have looked at what he's talking about in the AppleWin debugger thing, but I don't know what to do with the "mod", where to put it, or even how to put it there.

What should I be doing here?

Thanks for the heads up. I tried it out, and this is what the fix is telling me:

To fix the problem, make the following sector mod to side A of the game.

T00,S01,B3E: 8E EB B7 -> EA EA EA

I get to what I assume he's telling me is Track 00, Sector 01, and I'm not seeing 8E EB B7 next to each other anyplace. I'm not sure what to do with "B3E", is this Byte 3E?

Never done this before, so bear with me... Any ideas?

It seems that whatever image the person who wrote the "fix" has is not the images on Asimov. I know I'm looking in the right place, it's just that what he says should be there is not there. It sucks because I wanted to play this on the real Apple 2, but ADT will not transfer nib images, even though the website says it does.

Poop.

The author has been in the ADT forums saying more than a few times that he has no plans on making nib images more supported.

Oh well.

Thanks for the help though. I wanted to be able to tell myself that I tried.

It's really easy to make this patch. Just use a Windows tool like NitroHEX.

1) From the files on that FTP, grab mm1_side_a.dsk.gz and unzip it somewhere.

2) Open mm1_side_a.dsk in NitroHEX and change to "replace" mode (instead of insert). Edit->Input mode

3) Use Find->Hexadecimal, and put in 8E EB B7. It will find one instance (luckily) right near the beginning of the file.

4) Click on the first byte (8E) and type EA EA EA. Make sure you are in replace mode, it will overwrite the 3 bytes. If it inserts, undo and goto step 2, or it won't work.

5) Save file.

6) It now boots fine in AppleWin, and likely the real thing.

• Like 1

It's really easy to make this patch. Just use a Windows tool like NitroHEX.

1) From the files on that FTP, grab mm1_side_a.dsk.gz and unzip it somewhere.

2) Open mm1_side_a.dsk in NitroHEX and change to "replace" mode (instead of insert). Edit->Input mode

3) Use Find->Hexadecimal, and put in 8E EB B7. It will find one instance (luckily) right near the beginning of the file.

4) Click on the first byte (8E) and type EA EA EA. Make sure you are in replace mode, it will overwrite the 3 bytes. If it inserts, undo and goto step 2, or it won't work.

5) Save file.

6) It now boots fine in AppleWin, and likely the real thing.

Oh wow!

It works! Dude, you rock!

Thanks =)