IGNORED

Atari SECAM computers

DyLucke

Hi i would like to ask if there's any unexpensive way to use a SECAM 800XL or 130XE computer on a PAL TFT TV.

I've just acquired a couple of these computers and i've realized they're SECAM,

they came with a Monitor-SCART cable (6pin)

the video is shown but some colours are displayed in the wrong way.

Maybe the S-Video hack could fix the problem?

Thanks!

Well yep, i'm from Spain and the video system here is PAL, however NTSC can be displayed thru the SCART socket.

I don't know a single thing about SECAM, but i can see the SECAM computers i have here have a round 6pin plug instead the usual 5pin

for PAL computers. I'm not sure they can work on SECAM mode either. SECAM is used in France and Russia.

The cable provided with the computers is clearlly crafted to be used with SECAM ataris ON SECAM TVs thru the SCART socket,

however what i'm wondering is if some kind of rewiring or internal Atari hacking would make it work on a PAL TV.

Edited by DyLucke

The GTIA in Secam machines is significantly different also.

To accomodate the extra signalling needed, the joystick buttons are read serially through a single pin instead of the usual 4 pins.

So, you can't put a PAL GTIA in.

The Secam Ataris are not really explored to the extent of PAL/NTSC ones - I think someone's posted pics of a Secam motherboard, but aside from that and the FGTIA.PDF document, there's not a great deal of info around about them.

Gosh, these adaptors look great, however i don't understand a single word in polish, and they seem to be expensive.

I've tried both computers on a Samsung T200HD and a Sony Bravia 32" with the same results, image is displayed but colours are wrong.

Sometimes green colour seems to be missing, sometimes red seems to be missing.

I guess if the TV was non SECAM compatible wouldn't show a shit on screen... But it actually does the work mostly.

I'll post some pictures in a while to show what i mean.

I guess if the TV was non SECAM compatible wouldn't show a shit on screen... But it actually does the work mostly.

Not necessarily, putting a PAL XL on a NTSC monitor it shows in black and white... Probably something similar with Secam on PAL. Not 100% sure though.

Gosh, these adaptors look great, however i don't understand a single word in polish, and they seem to be expensive.

I've tried both computers on a Samsung T200HD and a Sony Bravia 32" with the same results, image is displayed but colours are wrong.

Sometimes green colour seems to be missing, sometimes red seems to be missing.

I'll post some pictures in a while to show what i mean.

Is the colour issue not down to them being a SECAM system? I thought that the SECAM systems only have 16 colours available?

It's normal, every SECAM XL/XE have this 'problem'!

Jerry Jessop explains why French Ataris produce fewer colors:

I will tell you why it only has monochrome out, because it's SECAM and a

SECAM GTIA was never produced. The PAL GTIA is used in France and the Lum

outputs are run into an onboard encoder to produce a "psudo" color depending

on the Luminance output, composite only. This is why a SECAM VCS or 800 has

nowhere near the same number of colors (16) availible as a PAL or NTSC unit

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/atarixl/atari8b.txt

I've reduced a lot the vibrant colors messing with the color pot, but if nothing is wrong with the video cable, some colours are shown totally different from a PAL screen.

Probably FGTIA has some similar issue to the 2600's TIA that performed a different pallette.

I don't believe it has less colours than the GTIA, that would mean the missing colours from the pallette would be shown in black or on other different colour that could seem absolutelly wrong.

The question is this isn't happening it's more like just the pallette has some colours that are different, probably as a result of the way SECAM manages colour in comparison to PAL.

I'll get another video cable and we will finally figure what happens here. It doesn't seem a problem with the TVs neither a problem with both SECAM Ataris, bec they perform in the same way.

By the way Simius, these video boards are being produced? What's the price for one unit? What kind of video output does it provide?

It reminds me a bit the "Individsion" for the Amiga computers.

Secam transmits the (Y-R) and (Y-B) signal on alternate scanlines, so I guess it's feasible for non compatible TVs to return all kind of weird results.

One of the 256 colour chart programs is what you should run on it - that way some sense could be made of what's going on.

• Like 1