IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

Not to take away from Mendons old Skyrim thread, but I thought that threads title and initial discussion would throw off anyone searching for Skyrim game play information.

This thread is for hands on discussion, hints, tips, etc...

It will probably contain spoilers and if your post does, try and mention that before posting so as not to ruin anything for others.

When I woke up today Skyrim was waiting for me. Amazon release day delivery comes through again.

I almost immediately booted up Skyrim and started playing. The first thing I noted is I didn't like the attract mode so well on this game. A static screen showing the Skyrim graphic and a song playing that reminded me of a bunch of Vikings drinking mead and singing while sitting at a thick wooden table just didn't do anything for me. I much preferred Oblivion's opening although I must admit I loved that soundtrack and Patrick Stewart's narration was kick ass.Not a huge deal, no-one buys a video game for it's attract mode.

Starting play this feels exactly like Oblivion. It seems like you move faster, but that might be because my character has a +10 to speed. I chose to play the Argonian race, as I really like their resistance to disease and poison, the fact they can breath under water. Not to mention their ability to increase health regeneration.

The graphics in this game are amazing. Taking a queue from other games, this one has upped the gore it seems. Chopping off body parts, pausing to slow mo kills with gratuitous squirts of the red stuff. Not sure if that really adds anything, kind of reminded me of Fallout 3 more than anything else. I haven't really gotten to the meat of the game as not unlike Oblivion, at first you'll be playing through a scripted scenario, that is mostly tutorial with little chance of dying. So far I'm impressed, but maybe not as much as I expected.

Upon entering Riverwood I almost immediately received the quest The Golden Claw from Lucan Velarius. I decided to go ahead and try it out. As I worked my way up the mountain I was really blown away by the view distance and the quality of everything. Upon reaching Bleak Falls Barrow I was struck by the massive size of the dungeon facade. It really made me feel small as I walked up to it. The inside was stunning. They had many more people working on dungeons this time around and it really shows. So far I am blown away.

I probably shouldn't have started that quest because it was 5am by the time I was done but... oh well!

The views are amazing to be sure. There were some jaw dropping moments in Oblivion visually when climbing mountains where you just wanted to take pause and admire the surroundings, and that is present in Skyrim as well, only I think even more-so. In addition to this are the little details. Things like blades of grass growing out of cracks in the floor, while subtle really show what care went into crafting this world. Loving it.

I'm currently doing the Golden Claw quest as well.

What're you guys playing it on? I've just started on the PC version and the wife's playing it on 360.

They compare pretty favorably with my 3Ghz Core2Quad & 9800GTX+. PC runs it at a higher resolution but it looks about the same on both. I've been playing with a 360 pad but I may give keyboard & mouse a try later, since that's how I played TES4. Draw Distance is causing me some issues, with framerates dropping when I'm outdoors, but I really don't want to turn down the draw distance just yet.

Edited by Rex Dart

I'm playing it on the PC, i7 930 / GTX470 x2 / SSD It looks good on the 360, but much better on the PC. Seeing as it has close to 900 graphics cores, it's not exactly a fair comparison though. :D

Being such a huge Fallout 3 fan, seeing some of its mechanics/styles in Skyrim was a bit odd at first but I've gotten used to it. Also the theme song doesn't have the greatness that Oblivion's does. :)

I'm playing on the 360.

It seems to push the hardware pretty hard in some places. Although, nothing that has made me get pissy. There have been a couple times when it seemed like everything got choppy.

I've been playing for hours though and it's nothing that has made me think about it for more than a passing second or two.

Damn mine got delivered late. 6:30pm. Still Amazon comes through again on day 1 delivery for me as well.

I have the PS3 version and am downloading patch 1.01 59MB.

I heard Bethesda will be patching the graphic glitching on the Xbox 360 as well.

Creating my character right now.... (Conan the Cimmerian type of course)

:)

• Like 1

I'm not very far into the game, but am totally blown away by the incredible graphic's!! Approaching the Temple at Bleak Falls, the blowing snow - sounds of the wind - and the countryside itself made me pause for about 10 min and just to admire and take everything in.

So far, the game is familiar, yet still very different. With Fallout: New Vegas I felt like I was just continuing my Fallout 3 journey. With Skyrim, I feel like I might have been here, in this world, before..... but I just don't recognize anything and must find my way anew.

I've only about 90min of gameplay so far and am totally blown away by the game. So many games seem to not live up to all the hype that the press gives them but Skyrim is surpassing everything I expected of the game.

I may have to actually sit down and read the instruction manual as some of changes between Oblivion and Skyrim I haven't totally figured out yet, such as:

Are the "slow-mo kills" randomly chosen by the computer or are they the result of some combination of attack I did?

My weapons aren't deteriorating with use like they did in Oblivion so is this a change for Skyrim?

The Perks screen is totally different and I found myself somewhat confused as to the best way to level.

As in Oblivion, I started out with a Breton in Skyrim and will concentrate on magic first and one hand weapon combat second. I found that I did really, really well with a Breton in Oblivion as using a light spell and invisibility spell got me thru caves, dungeons, and quests without taking much damage. Plus being able to summon creatures allowed me to "grind" out skills easily by using the summoned creatures as targets for sword and spell practice along with allowing them to beat on me to increase blocking, shield, and armor skills.

About the only thing I found that I don't care for is the new way of assigning weapons and spells for quick use. Maybe this new "Favorites" system will grow on me as I play further on, but right now I still prefer the Oblivion way of assigning weapons and spells to the joypad.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Now that you guys have played it for a bit, how are the characters in this game? Do they act more real this time (like they were supposed to in Oblivion)? I like pretty graphics, but I'm really hoping for smarter, more realistic characters.

Now that you guys have played it for a bit, how are the characters in this game? Do they act more real this time (like they were supposed to in Oblivion)? I like pretty graphics, but I'm really hoping for smarter, more realistic characters.

Yes definitely better. Thank god because in Oblivion they seemed like robots. They are still a bit mechanical but they do so much more.

I really love the job they did with the NPC's and characters. Actually the whole game has really blown me away so far (when compared to Oblivion).

I have the same questions Mendon has though. I have no idea how the slow motion critical kills are triggered and also what does "store" mean when you find items? Store them where?

Anyway, I think I may also have to read the manual soon. Lots of things to do. This game does feel like I've been here before. Its basically Oblivion on steroids.

MUCH improved.

I'm a Nord and concentrating on two handed combat. I basically played an offensive tank in Oblivion doing massive damage and took little damage towards the end. Tough at first but with a little work I became the incredible Hulk.

(With good mobility by sticking with rare Light Armor)

Edited by cimerians

Yes definitely better. Thank god because in Oblivion they seemed like robots. They are still a bit mechanical but they do so much more.

I really love the job they did with the NPC's and characters. Actually the whole game has really blown me away so far (when compared to Oblivion).

Thanks. I'll buy it later this month, then.

I'm about six hours in on the PS3 version and so far I really haven't encountered any glitches or bugs. When I started I noticed the menu felt a little laggy but that was it. Sometimes I feel some things are almost too simplified, like in the menus. I sometimes miss repairing items, the old status screen, but these are things I just have to get used to as opposed to major gripes. But overall I think the menus are a big improvement, like the favorite menu. I can find what I need quicker and get back to playing. I'm playing as a Wood Elf and going to focus on my stealth and archery skills and eventually become a thief/assassin. I've mostly played with a shield and sword with heavy armor, switched to light, and noticed how much the combat has improved. I absolutely love how you can parry with the shield like in Demon's Souls. This is also the first Elder Scrolls where I've gotten more into the magic thanks to the new system. I also really like the cooking system and been doing alchemy more this time around. I haven't improved or created any weapons or armor yet though. I've also had a couple of random encounters, but no dragons yet.

Edited by xenomorpher

For me the simplification of the interface is all great but the simplification of the gameplay is a major gripe. It was a major gripe with Oblivion and I'm sure a lot of things will add up to make it a major gripe with this one. I feel that Morrowind offered a lot more than the games that followed it in character depth, gameplay depth, and relationship depth. The simplification of these games reduces the learning curve and allows people who are not necessarily RPG fanatics entry into the series. I think that it does that at the expense of, and I use this word again because of how appropriate it is, depth. I really really want to repair my equipment. It is a staple of TES and something that added to the sense of alternate reality. If I lived in that world and took frequent blows to my armor I would need to repair it. Also, I really don't know what I think about the leveling system yet. The character creation and leveling system used in Oblivion was another staple of TES going all the way back to the first game. This new system is a total departure from that system and it is basically the Fallout system which you can trace back to the first Fallout game. Does that make the old system a better system or the change bad? Not necessarily but I can't say yet. All I know is that I can't make my characters of old the same way I used to. The approach to developing those characters is completely different.

Having said that, they did take some of the Oblivion complaints to heart. The character models match more closely with the Morrowind models and they fit with the TES description of those races. That is especially true for Dunmer which was really lacking in Oblivion. I think the eyes have a tendency to look alien but it can be worked out. Another thing is that the game still has level scaling but it is not as blatant as it was in Oblivion. One of the things they did to alleviate that is the game remembers the level at which you entered a dungeon and the inhabitants will be that level should you enter in the future. They also graduated difficulty based on location. So while things are leveled you will find much more difficult foes as you venture into more treacherous areas like the mountains. There are also major choices that have to be made. There were two things that really set the factions in Morrowind apart. One was the plethora that were available. This game does not return to that. The second was that you can choose between opposing factions and that choice was consequential and permanent. If you wanted to experience the other choice you would have to do that with another character. It added to what I called relationship depth earlier. You felt a belonging to these factions and you felt that the other factions were opposition. This game offers some choices with similar consequences.

So I think I have said many of these things about Oblivion on this board in the past. I don't just slam it for the sake of slamming it. I feel Morrowind was a better game overall and I would like to see good things from that game return as opposed to further separation. Regardless, I have spent about 100 hours per year in Oblivion since it released between my PC and my 360. I also play Morrowind frequently still so it isn't like it has been forever since I've experienced the elements I'm talking about. It has usually never been more than a few weeks. If graphics are an issue then you should see what Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE) does for the game. I don't use it because graphics are not a sticking point for me and I have the ability to see graphics quality relative to a games period. For those that can't fathom playing a previous generation game, which is the way many friends of mine are, MGE makes Morrowind surpass Oblivion by quite a bit when it comes to graphics. So I will continue playing those TES games as well as Skyrim and I am willing to bet I will happily spend hundreds of hours with Skyrim for a long time to come.

I just tried the PC version this morning. The game looks loads better on a monitor and a good graphics card. In fact I could see lots of detail in the ground, the cindered and dragon charred buildings and the people themselves. (Their eyes in their helmets, the clothes and armor is much more defined). The shading and lighting is better too. Methinks these are the final years of current gen consoles. I'm tempted to play the game on the PC since I found everything to be quite smoother, detailed and clear.

But since I paid for the PS3 version and of course prefer the comfort of a couch I'll be switching back to the console version.

Anyone who has the PC version and a good rig.....your definitely cooking.

I got:

i7 3.2Ghz

Win7 64bit

16GB ram

ATI 5850 card

Reading the manual helps a bit as I learned a few things I didn't know from just jumping into gameplay (click the right stick to examine an item... now, who would have thought??? :-D )

As Hyper-eye said, there a changes in the game from Oblivion; not having to rest to Level Up or repair weapons/armor were two that surprised me. Maybe my initial reaction to these changes might have been entirely due to "human nature is resistant to change". But I'm adapting quickly and nothing changed within the game has lessened my enjoyment or amazement so far.

After completing Bleaks Falls, I wandered around a bit and was again blown away by the little details put into the world. I came across a series of rapids and just stood and watched for a bit as fish were attempting to swim up stream and mist rose above the turbulence of the water. Awesome.

Know thy enemy is a must in Skyrim! I came across a Giant camp while wandering around and decided to take one on with my Lvl 4 character. Sigh... very bad move on my part as all but about a sliver of my health bar was removed with one hit. A wandering wolf finished me off as I was running from the Giant. Lesson learned.

I enjoyed my drinking time in a pub and laughed as I made song requests from a Bard. Great addition to the game!

Improved my first weapon.... enchanted my first weapon... made my first few potions... trying to hunt game to gather skins for tanning..... got a dozen or so quests from just talking to people....

There is a LOT to learn, explore, and experience within Skyrim!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Anyone who has the PC version and a good rig.....your definitely cooking.

And using my 360 wireless controller with the PC, I'm sitting back in comfort too. :)

Know thy enemy is a must in Skyrim! I came across a Giant camp while wandering around and decided to take one on with my Lvl 4 character. Sigh...

I did much the same, then got my ass knocked about 300 feet up into the air with one shot. :lol:

Never played an Elder Scrolls game before, but all the internet hype somehow convinced me I must buy the game. I'm very impressed so far, graphics are awesome (PC version). Played until 4am last night. Guess that means it caught my interest. Haven't had that happen in a long time!

In case anyone hasn't heard of the Xbox 360 graphics bug Bethesda is fixing, there is an issue when the game is installed to the hdd. The game fails to fully load some textures and retains the downscaled version when displayed and that makes them look like crap. Deleting the game from the hdd fixes the issue for now and a patch is going to be available soon apparently. The reason I bring it up is because I noticed the issue before it was announced and I did not realize it was a bug. I looked at a wardrobe and though the texture artist must have been asleep at the wheel the day they worked on that. After the publication of the acknowledgement of the bug I realized that was probably what I had seen. I took a picture of it to give an idea of what the bug looks like.

Installed to HDD:

post-2962-0-10926900-1321128407_thumb.jpg

After removing from HDD:

post-2962-0-18192100-1321128408_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hyper_Eye

So I was doing that first quest where you get the golden claw. I killed the spider and cut the guy down, but when he told me to go F myself and ran, I killed him and took the claw. I went back to the shop, but there's no way to give the claw back to the dude. When I walk to him, all I can ask him is what he has for sale... Help?

Chris

I got this when I came home from work. I'd say most of the graphics are pretty good, but I'm not one of the types that considers it "good" because they slap more stuff on the screen (more doesn't equal better IMO) And some places where the graphics look like shit, like any animal that's supposed to be "furry" they use the old school "stick 2D sprites to 3Dobjects" to draw hair on, and from any distance, most furry animals look more mangy than anything, and up close they just look bad.

Part of what made ES great was leveling up, sleeping (to level up, though I don't think you had to for any other reason, other than to become a vampire or something) and upkeeping weapons and armor were much of what made that series. And I do NOT like that they have been removed. Gone is the need to find shelter just to level up, or even heal up. Gone is the need to carry excess weapons and armor to keep your ass protected (at least untill you got good enough to repair stuff) and honestly, gone is much of the soul of the game at that point.

Is it a bad game? No, it's good, damn good, but honestly, put it next to oblivion, and I'll take oblivion any day of the week. Luckily, games aren't digital yet, so I actually have oblivion. If it wasn't for the fact Skyrim is new, and Oblivion is a complete play through 4 times, I'd probably pop that back in. It says something that so few good games are out there that makes a game good due to lack of competition. It says something more that a games predecessor is better than it is in so many ways. But then, I said the same about morrowind over Oblivion. I don't like the simplifying of the game, it takes a LOT from it, and this one is just over simplifying.

I played to the Riverwood and got the golden claw quest. Riverwood is cool, and I jackedd with the sawmill, literally throwing a log into it, chopping it up and then snatching an ax and chopping firewood was kind of cool. The river has actual physics to it, you go out till you float and if you don't move, you float downstream. That's cool. People seem to react more naturally here, and it's fun to see that some animals will see you and be like "oh shi" and run away. LOL

I went up to bleak falls temple to get the dudes claw back, haven't gone in yet, the ambiance was awesome, the near whiteout conditions I went through as I climbed the mountain was just awesome. The person blowing into the mic to make the wolfs howl, not so much LOL. Oh, if you go on the other side of the mountain, you come to a giant, that was cool. I walked into the giants camp, it didn't do anything. I walked up, yeah, thinking something bad was going to happen, and then it kicked my ass. Literally, it's foot swung into me. Chopped half of my health off and I took off running, yeah, into another one. Ran up some rocks, down some rocks, and went around a corner, apparently, when they loose sight of you, they literally loose sight of you and that's good, in this case. Is it just me, or does pretty much any animals seem to not see you until your ridiculously close?

Anyhow, decent enough game, I don't like that they've taken off a good chunk of what actually makes the game in this version, hopefully there will be a patch, but I doubt it, since when do game makers actually listen to fans? Oh, and I friggin HATE the menu system. But then, like the simplifying of the game from one to the next, that has gotten progressively worse in each game in the series. I just didn't expect it to be this bad, and to be honest, clumsy. Funny thing is, what they added is amazing in some aspects, it's just to bad that what they've subtracted more than offsets that.

So I was doing that first quest where you get the golden claw. I killed the spider and cut the guy down, but when he told me to go F myself and ran, I killed him and took the claw. I went back to the shop, but there's no way to give the claw back to the dude. When I walk to him, all I can ask him is what he has for sale... Help?

Chris

Your quest log should have updated to tell you that your next task was to discover the secret of the claw. Basically you needed to go further in.