IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

I'm playing on 360. My main desktop runs Linux and my secondary system is a Mac Mini. So PC is not currently an option for me with this game. Eventually Skyrim will be playable on Linux but I'm not waiting until then.

Turns out... yay for using a DX-9 based engine. I was wrong to expect it to take some time to get Skyrim working under wine. People are already able to play on Linux and Mac and that was apparently true at the moment of release. I have played games in Linux for a very long time and I used to beta test a commercial wine-based compatibility layer called cedega for a couple years. I am familiar with the typical issues that are faced when trying to get a new game working. It is a pleasant surprise when one works from the beginning. Too late for me to make that decision but I would rather play it on my 80" 1080p front pj anyway. I upgraded my pj in anticipation of this game so I better get some use out of it or face the wrath of my wife.

I wanted to get the PC version of this but knew my computer would not be strong enough. I played all the past games on the PC also. At least I can take advanatge of my HD 42 inch widescreen TV to play this. :)

For those of you old timers like myself -- let the song play on the title screen for a few minutes. It cycles into the 'old' Morrowind/Oblivion theme (called Regin of the Septims in Oblivion) after a bit with the people singing along with it. Not as awsome as past games, but still pretty damn cool!

Finally got time to play this and going to fire it up now for a few hours. :)

Edited by SoulBlazer

For those of you old timers like myself -- let the song play on the title screen for a few minutes. It cycles into the 'old' Morrowind/Oblivion theme (called Regin of the Septims in Oblivion) after a bit with the people singing along with it. Not as awsome as past games, but still pretty damn cool!

Yup, I love the intro song. Sometimes I let it play for a bit before starting. Sets the mood.

:)

First impressions of the game are positive. It runs smoothly and I enjoy some of the new options, feels like a blend of the older games with a new one. Still trying to get out of the keep and learn all the buttons and controls. I like the lockpicking system, it's the easiest this time around but it almost seems TOO easy.

Sticking with tradition of the past games, I made a Male Imperial and will stick to using a one handed sword (for now) as my main weapon.

Whoever said they upped the blood and gore in this one wasn't kidding! I was shocked after my first battle to see blood all over my clean blade. :lol:

I do miss nothing having to repair weapons and armor, though. That always felt more 'real' to me.

Funny thing is, what they added is amazing in some aspects, it's just to bad that what they've subtracted more than offsets that.

I think that sentence alone sums up this installment in the elder scrolls.

What they added (especially to the environment) is amazing. And regardless of everything they took away, I can't help but be completely and happily immersed (yet again) in the elder scrolls universe. I got the CE and waited in line at GameStop until midnight, my first time doing that, and i even took half the night off work to do it LOL. I really wish i didnt have to work 8 hrs a day 7 days a week, that's the only reason I've got only 15 hrs logged into this baby.

I like the textural world map, i just wish you could zoom out all the way and get an overview of the world.

Although you should be able to take books with you, i kind of like having them in a set location, making you search/backtrack to find that final chapter in a series

The water. Some of the best visuals I've seen in any video game plus the current carries you away! Cool shit.

The Visuals overall are insanely detailed and polished, i would love to see how it looks on PC since it is claimed to be better, even though I dont know how thats possible.

Horses. They can go alotta places they couldn't before, but they still could use a little fine-tuning.

Love the magic system, seems much more user-friendly this time around even though many complain about it being overly simplified.

Complaint!: My CE dragon statue's wings were bent slightly NIB and it doesn't fit properly on the rock :( Man that blows!

And btw, Cocaine Skooma is still a hell of a drug!

So cheers, to another marathon session of Skyrim, and another sleepless night in the factory. Sunday Night Football? Psh, you can find my playing TES.

Although you should be able to take books with you, i kind of like having them in a set location, making you search/backtrack to find that final chapter in a series

I'm not sure what you mean here. You can take books with you. Reading them does not automatically take them but you can choose to take the book once you open it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. You can take books with you. Reading them does not automatically take them but you can choose to take the book once you open it.

And just like past Elder Scrolls games, the books are some of the best things in here! :-D

Doh! Okay..dammit I left all those books behind!

Was a lot busier then I had planned this weekend, so I was only able to get in a couple hours of game time.

Finsihed the tutorial mission. I had elected to go with the Imperial Legion member and then even though he said out of the cave we should split up, I followed him into town. Good thing I did, cause I ran across the 'boost either your fighter, mage, or thief' skills stones. I checked out the town and then saved to play later.

Graphics are totally awsome but the music hasn't done anything for me. I miss the great soundtrack that Jeremy Soule did for Morrowind and Oblivion.

I'm still trying to figure out what has happened since the events of Oblivion. It seems the Empire held together, 200 years have passed, and there's a civil war in Skyrim, but that's about it. I haven't ran into anyone in the game who has filled in the backstory yet, nor have I found any 'History of the Empire' books that cover recent events.

Really miss not being able to repair and upkeep weapons and armor, but I like how you can improve and create your own gear.

Kudos for the great in game map (which even shows important locations) and for the very good journal system.

All in all, I really like it. I'd place the game right between Morrowind and Oblivion -- not as good as Morrowind, better then Oblivion, although all three games are awsome.

I miss the great soundtrack that Jeremy Soule did for Morrowind and Oblivion.

Jeremy Soule did the Skyrim soundtrack as well. I will admit the main theme is nowhere near as good as it was in Morrowind and Oblivion. You will be happy to hear tracks from the previous soundtracks in the game. I felt like I was walking around Balmora while I was in Whiterun.

This is what happens when you mess with a Giant.....sigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oso_mmhvm-Y

Its been a long time since ive laughed so hard at a game as when one of those giants sent me flying higher than any mountain around me. Is that really a bug? I figured that was intentional so you dont f with giants. They dont bother you anyhow unless you start messin with them...like sasquatch.

Edited by Skarrj

The worst part is that I was trying to help them, as they were about to be attacked by a band of thieves.

Giants have no friends. :grin:

Cool thing happened to me though. Dragon attacked me. The first one by myself. I ran into a witches hut that was nearby for fear of getting killed quickly. The dragon really rocked the hut at first, then seemed to circle and move on. I peeked out, then walked out and saw the dragon very close in a field next to the hut, he had agrod 2 mammoths and a GIANT. Needless to say the dragon got it's ass handed to him and I snuck in towards the end and let loose with my fire and lightning spells.

DEAD

I then quickly ran behind a rock so the other beasts wouldn't see me (they never looked twice) and absorbed my first dragon soul at level 10, barely having to lift a finger!! Waited a couple minutes till they moved on and looted the corpse! WOOT!!

OK, so I dont know if this has been mentioned already, but...

I started the game last night and I gotta say.....Im playing on an LED sony tv....and I am not that impressed with the graphics.....not sure why, but there is like too much detail on the peoples faces and it doesnt mix well witht he4 rest of the body. Besides that, the game looks pretty good.

I spent the first two hours playing the tutorial basically in the Keep. I kept hitting the guy Halthor or whatever you wanna call him and building my attributes. My double handed swing is like level 40 and my single is 65....My sneak is somewhere around 80ish and then I go to far past the bear and its time to stop easy leveling. Now Im outside of the cave....looking for the next place to go...

Where do I go? The wolves run from me cause Im a BA now...

Where do I go? The wolves run from me cause Im a BA now...

You cheated huh?

Run back (straight) and make sure you activate one of the class stones. Its right before you get attacked by the wolves if I remember. Also there is a mine in that area but you shouldnt have trouble there.

Head to the town just ahead called Riverwood and talk to people etc., you'll get the Golden Claw quest.

Edited by cimerians

The worst part is that I was trying to help them, as they were about to be attacked by a band of thieves.

Giants have no friends. :grin:

Cool thing happened to me though. Dragon attacked me. The first one by myself. I ran into a witches hut that was nearby for fear of getting killed quickly. The dragon really rocked the hut at first, then seemed to circle and move on. I peeked out, then walked out and saw the dragon very close in a field next to the hut, he had agrod 2 mammoths and a GIANT. Needless to say the dragon got it's ass handed to him and I snuck in towards the end and let loose with my fire and lightning spells.

DEAD

I then quickly ran behind a rock so the other beasts wouldn't see me (they never looked twice) and absorbed my first dragon soul at level 10, barely having to lift a finger!! Waited a couple minutes till they moved on and looted the corpse! WOOT!!

WTF?? Where are you?