IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

DEAD

WTF?? Where are you?

I believe it was an area called Witchmist Grove. There is a hut there and it contains a creepy witch! Luckily she's easy to take care of, it was actually one of the first places I came across exploring early on in the game and I had already dealt with her long before the dragon attack. If you face the hut and look to the left, there is a rocky field and that is where the GIANT and mammoths were. I was also attacked by a dragon up in the mountains, but I was alone and scared and didn't even try to fight, I jumped in a raging river and let the rapids take me far away down the mountain, the area I was in was pretty rough for my level anyways.

DEAD

WTF?? Where are you?

I believe it was an area called Witchmist Grove. There is a hut there and it contains a creepy witch! Luckily she's easy to take care of, it was actually one of the first places I came across exploring early on in the game and I had already dealt with her long before the dragon attack. If you face the hut and look to the left, there is a rocky field and that is where the GIANT and mammoths were. I was also attacked by a dragon up in the mountains, but I was alone and scared and didn't even try to fight, I jumped in a raging river and let the rapids take me far away down the mountain, the area I was in was pretty rough for my level anyways.

I could tell.

I need to find that hut. Try out that trick and see if I can get them to fight. lol.

I spent the first two hours playing the tutorial basically in the Keep. I kept hitting the guy Halthor or whatever you wanna call him and building my attributes [...]

Yikes. That's not a great way to start the game..

That pretty brilliant actually, I never thought about spamming attacks on the npc in the begining. I use to use the same trick in oblivion when I had the eversamps following me around.

That pretty brilliant actually, I never thought about spamming attacks on the npc in the begining. I use to use the same trick in oblivion when I had the eversamps following me around.

Well, you might as well have edited your character to make him superman or just used an invincibility cheat or something... Anyway, to each their own :)

In other news, I was fighting one dragon last night while another one decided to join in. That was not pretty. :lol:

Still enjoying the game immensely.

At Lvl 6 I just laid waste to my first Dragon! Was trying to make my way to the Greybeards (still haven't found it as I either get sidetracked for a quest or run into a damn mountain wall that I can't scale) and came upon a Tomb. Heard a roar and a dragon is flying overhead.

I ducked for cover inside the opening of the tomb and then equipped my bow and a Fire Bolt spell. I'd step out and the Dragon would hover in front of me getting ready to unleash his breath attack and I'd let him have it with a fire bolt and an arrow, then duck back into cover before his breath hit me. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. After a few minutes, down he went and I absorbed his soul and got a few items, though nothing really worthy of note.

I'm carrying waaaaay too much stuff and am constantly switching and dropping items. I hate to get rid of some of the magic weapons, staff's, and armor I'm carrying as I may need it or want to "improve" it in the future. So I made a backtrack to White Run hoping to buy a house to store my stuff in. Sigh.... they want $5,000 for a shack. (I think the seller must be related to Tom Nook from Animal Crossing!!)

Also, I wasn't sure what the "STORE" command was and then found out you use it to put items into chests, urn's, closets, etc. The game recommends you don't store anything in an object you don't own as it might disappear before you reclaim it. So that's why I was going for a house... so I could safely store items.... but looks like I'm going to have to earn some more money before hitting up that Tom Nook clone of a landlord for his over priced abode.

I sold what I thought I could live without so that I'm not overburdened and setting out once more to see if I can find the way to the Greybeards.

Mendon

Also, I wasn't sure what the "STORE" command was and then found out you use it to put items into chests, urn's, closets, etc. The game recommends you don't store anything in an object you don't own as it might disappear before you reclaim it. So that's why I was going for a house... so I could safely store items.... but looks like I'm going to have to earn some more money before hitting up that Tom Nook clone of a landlord for his over priced abode.

Definitely don't store stuff in things that aren't yours. Hint: If you join a guild, you might get a bed and some place of your own to store things, until you work up to a house purchase :)

• Like 2

I also found out something VERY cool. Its what we've heard about (the radiant quest system)

I restarted on the PC with another character and I tried different things and with different quests and its like playing a whole new game. Different things are said. Things change. Plots take a different turn.

Even as simple as following or NOT following Ralof at the start of the game will give you different dialog and information (or no information).

This right here makes this the BEST Elder Scrolls game to date. Nothing else comes close. Sorry.

Definitely don't store stuff in things that aren't yours. Hint: If you join a guild, you might get a bed and some place of your own to store things, until you work up to a house purchase :)

Don't even give items to buddy NPCs who claim to be sworn to carry your burdens when you bring up the subject. Your stuff will be gone.

I'm so envious of all you guys who have been able to sink time into this game. I really want to, but with everyhing going on right now it's been hard to find time. Working extra hours due to vacation coming up, football games to watch, and helping a friend out with a problem.

Last night I did most of the Golden Claw quest. Some more observations:

Awsome detail in the ruins and caves. It was just amazing how it looked.

Love the 'finishing moves' that you see now and then as you finish a foe off. Brutal? Yes. Really needed? No. Over the top and gory? Most defentily. Still, heck a lot of fun to see.

Battle strategy is even more advanced then in Oblivion, as some posters before me have commented on. In the battles I've done so far, I've let the foe charge me with my shield raised. Block the blow, counter attack with a sword swipe or two, and when he gets ready to attack, raise the shield and do it again. Rinse and repeat. I also like how sometimes you 'stun' your foe, that's when I go in for the power attack.

Like the fact health regenerates slowly on it's own. It's just like resting in the eariler games, only you can regenerate as you explore.

Taking the time to explore nooks and cranies paid off. I've gotten quite a bit of gold (helped also by the fact I'm playing a Imperial) and some nice side items.

Level 4 so far, and I've taken two of my three bonuses on stanima, so I can both swing more often in combat and carry more stuff. Selling stuff in Riverwood berfore I started the quest helped -- also bought the Clervoyance spell to help find me things -- and I've also gone back once to sell more stuff. This has allowed me to get about 1000 gold.

Not sure what to spend my skill bonuses on yet. Since you can raise those skills natrualy also. I'm probaly going to do Speechcraft since that harks back to how I've played Morrowind/Oblivion. I like playing a silver tongued Imperial who tries to use peacefull options in quests and conversations to get what I want and save money on buying/selling things.

Don't like the fact there's no barter function with merchants anymore -- that seems to be automatic now. Boo! I always liked doing that in past games.

Love how people actually sleep at night! It never seemed right to find a shop open at 3 AM in the morning.

Spellcasting seems to be a little akward here. In the middle of combat, if my health is running low, I have to select Favorites, go to the healing spell, back up from combat, quickly cast it, go back to Favorites, and reequip my sword.

It's a little hard to see in conversation if a topic has been selected or not.

At the end of the Golden Claw quest I wasn't ready for the 'boss' to attack me and lost that fight. That's where I quit at. Won't need to go back much, and next time I'll be ready to deal with him.

Really great game and enjoying it just as much as past ES games.

What's this about NPC companions you can hire not holding onto your stuff? Wasn't that claimed that they could? Another bug? :ponder:

Edited by SoulBlazer

When you get to Riverwood you are given permission to sleep in a house (which one depends on who you chose to go with earlier.) It seemed like most stuff in the house was accessible to me so I went ahead and stored some heavy but non-crucial items in a chest there to see if they will be there or get zapped after a few days. If my stuff seems to be sticking around I will continue storing stuff there until I get a place. I don't want to buy the first shack that becomes available because there may be a good deal somewhere or Bethesda will release an add-on that gives you some awesome place of your own. With all the addons in Oblivion I had a bunch of really cool places, a castle, and my main house in Anvil. The anvil house was the best house to buy in the stock game because it was cheap and became fully furnished when the associated questline was completed. My Anvil house is loaded with stuff. Sometimes I get the urge to load my game up and go through the tedious task of moving my stuff from Anvil to the castle.

Don't like the fact there's no barter function with merchants anymore -- that seems to be automatic now. Boo! I always liked doing that in past games.

That's straight from Fallout 3. In some ways this game is more like Fallout 3 than it is like previous TES games. I think Fallout 3 is a great game and I'm glad that they used important elements of the previous Fallout games when making that game. I'm sure there was great concern about alienating Fallout fans by making a Fallout game that is pretty much post-apocalyptic Oblivion. I wonder how concerned they were about alienation of hardcore TES fans. I do feel that some of those elements are not totally suited for TES. I'm okay with it so far. I would like to see how the leveling system works out later in the game. I do notice these things when I see them though.

Love how people actually sleep at night! It never seemed right to find a shop open at 3 AM in the morning.

NPC schedules, including sleeping, were introduced in Oblivion. In Morrowind NPC's stood in the same place the whole game (at least they were supposed to... in actuality they drifted slightly to the left over time until Silt Strider NPC's would fall off their platforms and NPC's would end up in front of doors lol.) In Oblivion NPC's would open their stores on a schedule, sometimes opening at different hours depending on the day, eat at meal times, practice their magic, archery, etc. skills, sleep at night, etc. I don't know how much that has improved in Skyrim but it isn't new.

Spellcasting seems to be a little akward here. In the middle of combat, if my health is running low, I have to select Favorites, go to the healing spell, back up from combat, quickly cast it, go back to Favorites, and reequip my sword.

This is taking some getting used to for me as well. At first it was really awkward but I am getting the hang of it slowly. You can see in my video I posted earlier, during the fight near the end, that I was doing pretty well with it until I accidentally equipped my sword in the wrong hand and then got confused. That may be a part of the reason I ended up losing that fight which I had won on a few attempts previous. Granted, I was playing with a mouse there and usually I'm playing on the 360 with the controller.

For those using a 360 controller, don't forget the left / right dpad quick assigns. Popping a potion or getting that healing spell going quick will save your life. :)

How do you even do that?

When you are scrolling the favorites up/down on the dpad, hold left or right to assign the two quick assigns.

For those using a 360 controller, don't forget the left / right dpad quick assigns. Popping a potion or getting that healing spell going quick will save your life. :)

How do you even do that?

The way I do it is make the item a favorite, go back out to the game and press UP on the D-pad.

Your menu will come up.

Highlight your potion.

Then hold left or right on the D-Pad for 3 SECONDS.

a little 1 or 2 will show up next to the potion ( 1=DPAD LEFT and 2=DPAD RIGHT)

Not sure. It seems like a clunky system but I guess it works ok.

Seems like I might like some of the things you guys are semi-complaining about. I don't think I'll mind having some of the tedious things trimmed out of the game.

Oh, it's great. I'll never understand the people whining that their items no longer break, or they no longer have to wash their virtual underpants, or no longer have to calculate Imperial income taxes... pfff.

Seems like I might like some of the things you guys are semi-complaining about. I don't think I'll mind having some of the tedious things trimmed out of the game.

Oh, it's great. I'll never understand the people whining that their items no longer break, or they no longer have to wash their virtual underpants, or no longer have to calculate Imperial income taxes... pfff.

I agree.

Well, I DID like having to repair weapons/armor. Just like I enjoyed bartering with merchants, having to sleep to level up, and having stats for your character. It all combined to make it feel more realistic. I'm okay with these aspects missing, but the game feels less like a Elder Scroll game of the past and more like Fallout 3 (never played it, but that's what I've heard).

but looks like I'm going to have to earn some more money before hitting up that Tom Nook clone of a landlord for his over priced abode.

Mendon

I bought the house for that very reason. I used my helper as a pack mule when I got over burdened, then would go to a merchant and wipe them out. Usually you can get around $800 from them. Initially the place is dusty and there is one chest upstairs. You will want to have an extra $2000 to decorate and then the place will really shine. Best of all you'll get a bunch of storage including bookcases which can be filled with books!! (Very cool) I put food in kitchen cupboards, clothes in a wardrobe, etc....

In regards to people telling you that you don't look well jibbajaba, I don't think it is necessarily related to any disease (although I'm sure that does happen), I think they are trying to get you to go rest in a bed. Once you do that, you'll discover why.

The fact you don't have to repair items doesn't bother me, but at the same time I don't see why they couldn't leave it in the game and just have a custom setting that adds it or deletes it. Kind of like in Fallout Vegas when you could set it to where you had to drink water or die of thirst and where your ammo had weight. Basically a hardcore setting. Giving player a choice, caters to the folks who like that and those that think it's tedious.