IGNORED

Double Dragon XM

DracIsBack

Since Pac Man Red brought it up, I've always wondered what Double Dragon would look like, with the right care given to it on the 7800?

I don't 'hate' Double Dragon on the 7800 in that I actually find it entertaining. But if ever there was a C+ effort on the 7800, this is it to me. Moves are moving. The character design is (IMO) terrible. Sections of levels disappear. No effort is made to animate certain parts. The AI is wonkey. And the Abobos walking right out of Title Match Pro Wrestling suggest not a lot of time or budget was allocated to the game.

Given the availability of sprite sources, new docs and tools ... and the XM, wondering if any improvements could be done to make Double Dragon look and act better than it does today.

• Like 2

I think the AI would need looking at first. You can pretty much beat all the opponents with the one attack method from what I remember :(. For more information have a look in one of the 7800 high score contest threads where it was played.

Personally, I'd love to see something like Way of The Exploding fist on the 7800.

• Like 1

Yeah, what Drac said. Reverse Jump Kick for everyone, and you just use the other moves, like the forward jump kick (from a longer distance) just for fun, to switch it up a bit. Where is the knee lift to the face, and the hip toss throw, and the barrel throw, etc......that was the most disappointing part to me. Punching and kicking are virtually useless, although the head butt seems to work, weirdly enough.....

That said, a total overhaul for the XM would be out of this world. As well as a wrestling game that actually had a goal, and moves, and guys that stay down so you can perform turnbuckle moves, etc.....i.e. a wrestling game that was actually playable/fun. That's my dream for the 7800.

• Like 1

What's cool about if Double Dragon were to have the XM Upgrade, is that the Arcade version used the same Yamaha sound chip as the 7800 XM. This was most likely the chip used for the music that all of us Double Dragon fans have still stuck playing in our heads from '87.

I'll have to see if I can find a version of that and then stick it in my XM's YM2151 player.

Any fighter would be cool to me.....7800 is lacking them in the worst way.

Finishing Pit Fighter would be cool IMHO.

Not in this case. I grew up liking the arcade and Genesis version of Pit Fighter as a teenager in the 1990's, but the 7800 version of Pit Fighter not being completed is blessing. 7800 version was going to be the worst version of Pit Fighter out there. Some of the graphics of that game was taken out of Double Dragon and Title Match Pro Wrestling. A stock 7800 was not made for having large digitized characters.

Pit Fighter would be better off starting from scratch as an Atari 7800 XM game. It is still would be a bad port tough.

• Like 1

Anyone else having a little DeJa Vu about the Double Dragon topic:

Games that would be most improved by XM Music hacks

Just happened to be googling along and found it. :)

Illya

Not really. I posted in that other topic, but that topic was not only about Double Dragon a first place. You linked to a post, not all the posts in that thread. The nature of that thread was mention games that would be improved the most by music only.

Double Dragon needed more than Music change like I mentioned in that thread and that is why I don't consider this thread deja vu as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I should have known this would happen. :P

What's cool about if Double Dragon were to have the XM Upgrade, is that the Arcade version used the same Yamaha sound chip as the 7800 XM. This was most likely the chip used for the music that all of us Double Dragon fans have still stuck playing in our heads from '87.

Illya

Couldn't you then just grab the music from the ST version then? Of course, if the XM and the arcade version have the same Yamaha sound chip then obviously that would be the version to grab. And was there an XE version of the game? If so, that would be a place to grab Pokey audio from.

Speaking of the ST version, I really enjoyed it except the fact that it only supported 1 fire button. I pretty much destroyed my Space Age joystick on that game. If the ST/e ROM could be modded to use the Jaguar controllers, then that would be pretty awesome.

• 2 years later...

Couldn't you then just grab the music from the ST version then? Of course, if the XM and the arcade version have the same Yamaha sound chip then obviously that would be the version to grab. And was there an XE version of the game? If so, that would be a place to grab Pokey audio from.

Had to bring this back to life haha.

The XE never got Double Dragon as far as I'm aware. It was on 2600, 7800, Lynx and ST.

• Like 1

You have to connect this thread post if resurrecting this topic. ;)

At the bare minimum, it demonstrates, even if keeping the same palette, much better sprites was not difficult to implement. Too bad the ball was dropped by Activision respecting this port.

The XM opens the doors for comparable Mark III (Japanese Sega Master System) and Arcade YM sound very nicely. :)

• Like 1