IGNORED

Double Dragon XM

DracIsBack

Here's a thought. What if we used RMT to do the background music with POKEY, leaving the sound effects as is with TIA? The big question is would there be enough memory for the code and data. Probably just pulling out the TIA music wouldn't free up enough. I would need to look at the ROM to see how much free space there might be. If it doesn't overlap the XM RAM, then we could use that to run the code out of. I could work on the coding but I'm not a musician so would need someone to create the RMT music. Maybe someone already has?

That would be awesome. rockman_x_2002 has already done the title screen and 1st stage music and is interested in sharing the RMT files.

• Like 2

A few more tweaks.

Mission 1: some more color tweaks and cleanup of skyline.

Mission 3a: new grass and more detail to logs at end.

Mission 3b: changed colors of ground and mountain to make characters stand out better against background and some minor tweaks to the trees behind bridge.

post-9364-0-70097400-1446455604_thumb.png

post-9364-0-25593500-1446455618_thumb.png

post-9364-0-67993000-1446455636_thumb.png

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Would adding RAM help substantially or would that require code rewriting? I was just pondering that added cartridge RAM - courtesy of CPUWiz's boards - and/or support for XM/XBOARD added RAM could possibly bring the 7800 game closer to the SMS version [since the SMS has more system RAM].

I've looked at it and the cart uses most of the memory map and there is not much free space in the ROM. So to implement RMT for POKEY music, we are going to need more ROM space on the cart and probably would want to use the XM RAM to run it out of. If CPUWIZ's board can replicate the bank switching of the original cart with additional banks for RMT/MUSIC storage we are golden.

• Like 3

I've looked at it and the cart uses most of the memory map and there is not much free space in the ROM. So to implement RMT for POKEY music, we are going to need more ROM space on the cart and probably would want to use the XM RAM to run it out of. If CPUWIZ's board can replicate the bank switching of the original cart with additional banks for RMT/MUSIC storage we are golden.

That sounds like we're getting away from "swap out the old art with re-colored art" scope and into "re-write major sections of the code" territory.

As cool as the game would be with new music etc, wondering if that's even possible without the source code?

We talked a little ealier in this thread about adding RMT/POKEY music. I wouldn't want to make any major rewrite. Adding calls to the music code should not be significant.

…and if that's the case, couldn't calls be added for the YM2151 in the XM? If I'm not mistaken, that's what the arcade original uses...

We would need a tracker written in 6502 that can read the "module file" from DD. I don't know if anything like that exists. If DD used a standard tracker that has source code available, then it might be reasonable to convert it to 6502.

Pretty cool, although the audio work already completed using the POKEY is kick ass in its own right!

• 7 months later...

I've posted two test ROMs over in the hacks forum thread. Would like to get some feedback on which color scheme is preferred in Mission 1. I also need to know if the game glitches toward the end of the 2nd part of Mission 1 on a real 7800. MESS shows a glitch, but ProSystem does not. If anyone can test on a real 7800, it'd be appreciated. This time, the latest ROMs are not in the 1st post, but linked here and in my last post of the thread, for now... until I get feedback.

post-9364-0-19642800-1467569930_thumb.png post-9364-0-45996700-1467569915_thumb.png

Double Dragon (Red).a78

Double Dragon (Blue).a78

edit: You'll need this for ProSystem

[a96194d94561154222dcadfe9a81eb43]
title=Double Dragon (Sprite & Color Hack Red)
type=6
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0

[076e273cb463c015316b4d7fb063c62d]
title=Double Dragon (Sprite & Color Hack Blue)
type=6
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0
Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3

I tried running these on ProSystem (I have version 1.3f) but I could not get them to work. I copied what you posted above to the dat file.

Hmm... I just downloaded those ROMs and copy/pasted the above lines back into my Prosystem.dat and it works fine for me. Is your dat file enabled in your Prosystem options and pointing to the right file? If there's no check next to "Database" in your Emulation options, it won't work. That's a pretty common mistake.

Hmm... I just downloaded those ROMs and copy/pasted the above lines back into my Prosystem.dat and it works fine for me. Is your dat file enabled in your Prosystem options and pointing to the right file? If there's no check next to "Database" in your Emulation options, it won't work. That's a pretty common mistake.

Well, blue works and red doesn't. It's peculiar. I did have the dat file set up the correct way.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I spent a little more time looking at the arcade and made a few more changes to the 1st Mission. This time, the screenshots are identical between versions for an easier comparison (Red, Blue, Original). I'll have to wait to play it on my real 7800 before color choices are final, as various brightness and hues might need adjusted. There's no point in posting another ROM yet, but I'll upload again when done.

post-9364-0-35041600-1468184717_thumb.png post-9364-0-56243900-1468184723_thumb.png post-9364-0-11852900-1468184012_thumb.png

P.S.

One more thing... if you're playing the previous ROMs in Prosystem, they look best (as intended) with one of Trebor's color palettes. The default color palette of Prosystem is way off and looks terrible with these color schemes. The above screens were taken in MESS/MAME, but Trebor's Prosystem palette pack has one to match. Sorry, I don't have a link at the moment.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3

Going to finally have to side with the red as well. The red definitely enhances the building, and although losing the sky color, the sunset effect is nice and gives it perhaps that 'unique' to the 7800 port stamp [in a good way]. ;)

There is also a warmth and draw to the red too that makes it more aesthetically pleasing than the blue.

• Like 1

A lot more work done to Mission 4, although the changes are much more subtle than other levels. You'll probably need to zoom in to see the changes. There's a lot more shading, I added detail here and there, and made a few alignment adjustments/corrections, although there are still a few I was hoping to correct, but wasn't able to. Top image is new, bottom is original.

I'm not sure if I like the new floor tiles, (which are now more arcade accurate), or if I'll try to come up with something a bit more like the original. I really need to see it on my TV through composite and RF to better judge how "busy" it might look. Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

post-9364-0-93476000-1468744661_thumb.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3

Need to echo Perry's post from before. It looks incredible. The details in those crevasses and rocks, shading to the stones, and the other tweaking/additions is very meticulous work.

I'm really hoping someone is able to fix the gameplay. Something as 'simple' (haha), as tweaking how often the AI lands a blow to your character by half or a third of the current setting, and/or the amount of health it reduces by only half or a third as much, would really work wonders on balancing the gameplay of this port.

Improvement to the sound, particularly, the background music, of course would be nice, but not as crucial as the gameplay tweaking.

Regardless, phenomenal work Kevin, a labor of love for sure, and the results are awesome! Thank you for continuing to share this with the community; it is most excellent work.

• Like 3