IGNORED

Double Dragon XM

DracIsBack

...if there's interest in completing this w/ POKEY music, I'll cover more from this soundtrack. :)

https://instaud.io/1BKh

Absolutely interested in making it happen with pokey, although it will depend on another person being available to integrate it, or have the patience to walk me through it. :)

• Like 2

Do you want to limit your game to only play on 7800s that has this XM module? If you looking to make money, there are other options like carts with Pokey/RAM/Extra banks.

I am porting several 8-bit games over to the 7800, but I am just doing them for the stock 7800. That is because we have been waiting since 2012 for this XM module to materialize.

You can have the program detect the XM and take advantage of Pokey sound if present. If not, can default to TIA sound.

The xm is shipping. 180 are sold.

Probably when are offered to sell after that another 50+

So any decent xm game would sell 200 copies as almost everyone would want games that take advantage of it.

Coding pokey code and selling a cart without pokey it can be sold cheaper to xm guys. Anyways it dont matter.

We are happy with any games.

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1

By the by, the does anyone have any advice for recording HD video of this particular ROM from an emulator? I'm done with the POKEY cover of the Stage 2 Industrial Area theme, and I'd really like to use gameplay footage of the 7800 Double Dragon w/ graphics upgrade to go along with the music (rather than arcade or NES gameplay), but I'm not seeming to have any luck getting it to run in BizHawk or A7800. I tried renaming it to the regular Double Dragon ROM name in A7800 (since it seems to use a MAME/MESS core), but it didn't pick that up either. I'm going to guess MESS and MAME won't play it because they expect a specific list of ROMs with specific checksums, which the DD Graphics Upgrade will not match... hmmmmm

Edited by Fragmare

I tried renaming it to the regular Double Dragon ROM name in A7800 (since it seems to use a MAME/MESS core), but it didn't pick that up either. I'm going to guess MESS and MAME won't play it because they expect a specific list of ROMs with specific checksums, which the DD Graphics Upgrade will not match... hmmmmm

Renaming the ROM is not necessarily. The problem occurring is the internal softlist of ROMs is being pulled up, instead of navigating to where the ROM that is desired to be played.

From this post follow these steps..."Getting A System Started:"

01. Double click on "a7800.exe"

02. Arrow key Up or Down to pick either "Atari 7800 (NTSC)" or "Atari 7800 (PAL)" and press the 'Enter' key.
03. Having "[start empty]" highlighted press 'Enter' key.
After performing the above, then..."How To Select A Game:"
01. Having a system already started, press 'Tab' key.

02. Arrow key down to highlight "File Manager" and press 'Enter' key.

03. Arrow key down to highlight "cartridge (cart)" and press 'Enter' key.

04. Arrow key down and up to select ROM [path] and press 'Enter' key to select.

It works perfectly...

post-18-0-26452300-1515361781.png

;)

...if skipping "Getting A System Started" and being able to jump right away into "How To Select A Game" is desired, download the zip batch file archive from this post and place the files in the same folder as A7800.exe.

Additionally, NIKON's visual guide provides another sure way of having A7800 run any *.a78 ROM file. :)

• Like 2

Renaming the ROM is not necessarily. The problem occurring is the internal softlist of ROMs is being pulled up, instead of navigating to where the ROM that is desired to be played.

From this post follow these steps..."Getting A System Started:"

01. Double click on "a7800.exe"

02. Arrow key Up or Down to pick either "Atari 7800 (NTSC)" or "Atari 7800 (PAL)" and press the 'Enter' key.
03. Having "[start empty]" highlighted press 'Enter' key.
After performing the above, then..."How To Select A Game:"
01. Having a system already started, press 'Tab' key.

02. Arrow key down to highlight "File Manager" and press 'Enter' key.

03. Arrow key down to highlight "cartridge (cart)" and press 'Enter' key.

04. Arrow key down and up to select ROM [path] and press 'Enter' key to select.

It works perfectly...

attachicon.gifA7800DDHACK.PNG

;)

...if skipping "Getting A System Started" and being able to jump right away into "How To Select A Game" is desired, download the zip batch file archive from this post and place the files in the same folder as A7800.exe.

Additionally, NIKON's visual guide provides another sure way of having A7800 run any *.a78 ROM file. :)

Yes! That did the trick! Thank you! Also...

Double Dragon - Industrial Area (Atari POKEY Cover) using KevinMos3's graphics update hack for the gameplay video (also, i suck at this port of the game, apparently lol)

Edited by Fragmare
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! That did the trick! Thank you! Also...

Double Dragon - Industrial Area (Atari POKEY Cover) using KevinMos3's graphics update hack for the gameplay video (also, i suck at this port of the game, apparently lol)

Wait...so you have POKEY playing from the ROM? So if there was a POKEY present and this sucker was now on a cartridge, it would play?

The music is fantastic but I can't hear the audio sfx from the TIA.

And if we're talking the XM, it also has the YM2151 so the arcade audio could be used if somehow it was figured out how to enable it within the 7800 game.

Don't forget about HSC. :)

Wait...so you have POKEY playing from the ROM? So if there was a POKEY present and this sucker was now on a cartridge, it would play?

The music is fantastic but I can't hear the audio sfx from the TIA.

And if we're talking the XM, it also has the YM2151 so the arcade audio could be used if somehow it was figured out how to enable it within the 7800 game.

Don't forget about HSC. :)

Yea, i got the game running on an emulator (A7800) so I could record gameplay video. I think, in order to insert POKEY music into the game, it would need to be disassembled, modified, then reassembled... no easy feat, but where there is a will there is a way, I guess...

• Like 1

I think the AI would need looking at first. You can pretty much beat all the opponents with the one attack method from what I remember icon_sad.gif. For more information have a look in one of the 7800 high score contest threads where it was played.

Personally, I'd love to see something like Way of The Exploding fist on the 7800.

Late to the party, but just curious...was improving the A.I. ever worked on for this game by anyone? I saw this in one of the earliest posts followed by several more in agreement, but no idea how much more difficult it would have been to implement.

Graphics and music are phenomenal improvements. Much thanks to those involved.

Late to the party, but just curious...was improving the A.I. ever worked on for this game by anyone? I saw this in one of the earliest posts followed by several more in agreement, but no idea how much more difficult it would have been to implement.

Graphics and music are phenomenal improvements. Much thanks to those involved.

I think you'd probably need to be getting the source code at some point.

• 7 months later...

Thought I responded to this long ago... that music is awesome! It kinda gets under my skin, in a good way.

Late to the party, but just curious...was improving the A.I. ever worked on for this game by anyone? I saw this in one of the earliest posts followed by several more in agreement, but no idea how much more difficult it would have been to implement...

I actually like the A.I. better than the more popular NES port. To me, it seems to behave more like the arcade, and once you learn it, you can pretty much have your way with it. I can play through without losing a life (on a good day), or with losing only one life (on a bad day). And no, not by doing the reverse jump-kick constantly. :)

If the Pokey music from Fragmare and Rockman_2002 were ever added to the game, I think I'd probably have to play it every day.

Still my favourite thread on AtariAge. How to make 7800 Double Dragon better...

In my opinion, the ROM size needs expanded to include more enemy sprites and Pokey music. Then it would be my favorite home console port, by far. Actually, I think it's already my favorite with the current updates.

• Like 3

In my opinion, the ROM size needs expanded to include more enemy sprites and Pokey music. Then it would be my favorite home console port, by far. Actually, I think it's already my favorite with the current updates.

Do you think 144k would do it or would a full out 256k be more in line with the space you believe is needed to properly flesh it out?

Do you think 144k would do it or would a full out 256k be more in line with the space you believe is needed to properly flesh it out?

Good question. I haven't really looked at how many additional enemy sprites would be appropriate yet, so it's hard for me to judge how much space they would occupy. 144K would certainly be enough for the Pokey though.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin!

About space, while I would be sorry to ask you to do other work, I think it would be nice if, one day, you had the chance (and the interest) to make your sprites a little taller.

In any case, congratulations for the tenacity, the work done so far is really superb. And thanks again for sharing! :)

• Like 1

About space, while I would be sorry to ask you to do other work, I think it would be nice if, one day, you had the chance (and the interest) to make your sprites a little taller.

Your 160B mockup that you posted in the Mega Man thread yesterday looked pretty sweet, but I don't know if that level of detail is feasible for all of the characters in the existing rom (maybe it needs to be expanded in size or the code rewritten to accommodate it).

Your 160B mockup that you posted in the Mega Man thread yesterday looked pretty sweet, but I don't know if that level of detail is feasible for all of the characters in the existing rom (maybe it needs to be expanded in size or the code rewritten to accommodate it).

Indeed, in truth, I was referring to the current sprites in 160A mode. I designed that sprite in 160B mode a few years ago and I consider it just an exercise.

Again, as always, Kevin has done an amazing job with his sprites. Designing those small sprites with only three colors is a challenge. I love the fidelity to the arcade version, especially in the animations.

post-29074-0-41273200-1538535747_thumb.png

• Like 1

He really did a wonderful job. They made the sprites so little and so ugly originally. I had friends who commented constantly on how the backgrounds in the 7800 game were often pretty good but how ugly the sprites were. The cleanup was so nice, given the constraints he was working under.

• Like 1

Yep, definitely a huge improvement over the original, but I think it's the 3-color limitation that really drags them down more than the height. I guess if he can make the characters a little taller it might improve the look some and make them seem more reminiscent of the arcade, but that mode (160A) that is presumably used to save on memory resources is a huge albatross to contend with when it comes to making them truer to the arcade version. It's kind of a shame really, but I don't know if it could be overcome easily. It would probably require someone with the programming skills to do a significant rewrite to the code and who knows if enough memory resources could be made available to support it.