IGNORED

HyperSpin and HyperPin

Albert

I'm thinking about building a MAME cabinet and was wondering if anyone's ever setup HyperSpin? It'd be a lot more fun to run systems other than arcade games if I'm going to go through the trouble of setting up a dedicated cabinet. May also build a HyperPin after playing one this past weekend at the Houston Arcade Expo.

Thanks. :)

..Al

Hi Albert, if you do dabble in Hyperpin (as opposed to HyperSpin) and manage to successfully download the 900 meg file, can you let me know where you downloaded it from? I used the link on the VP Forums which points to a MegaUpload link. I guess VP Forums can't host files that big.

Anyway, an hour or two later, I got the executable, ran it and got tons of errors.

I posted on the VP Forums my trouble and they said it must have been a faulty download. Before I go downloading another 900 megs I am hopng to hear back from someone else who got the installer to work so let me know if yours did.

As a side note, HyperSpin can be really cool when done right. Too bad this guy hacked a Computer Space for his cabinet.

Hi Albert, if you do dabble in Hyperpin (as opposed to HyperSpin) and manage to successfully download the 900 meg file, can you let me know where you downloaded it from? I used the link on the VP Forums which points to a MegaUpload link. I guess VP Forums can't host files that big.

Anyway, an hour or two later, I got the executable, ran it and got tons of errors.

I posted on the VP Forums my trouble and they said it must have been a faulty download. Before I go downloading another 900 megs I am hopng to hear back from someone else who got the installer to work so let me know if yours did.

As a side note, HyperSpin can be really cool when done right. Too bad this guy hacked a Computer Space for his cabinet.

He got it hacked up to begin with, first off. Second off, he made all new control panels for it, so whatever was left that was original, he left original.

I'm also planning to dabble with HyperPin. I downloaded it tonight from the MegaUpload link. It took 3 tries. The first two downloads chugged along quickly until it got to the last few k and then Firefox crashed on me. I wound up trying it in IE, and again it downloaded quickly but the last few k took forever. It eventually finished and I was able to install it successfully.

I have only downloaded a few of the HyperPin tables and tried them in standard VisualPinMAME (I can rotate my monitor and play the tables how they were designed). All I can say is Visual PinMAME can be finicky, but it's nice when it works. I haven't messed with the 900MB HyperPin file that is being spoken of, so I'm not sure if the install process is any easier through that package. Asides from that, the HyperPin tables are generally of much higher quality than the standard desktop tables. My only recommendation is using a NVIDIA graphics card in the PC for your cabinet. There is a lot of artifacting with my ATI card, and some things don't animate or appear properly.

I want to actually setup a HyperPin. I won't gut an existing cabinet, but might setup a ghetto cabinet.

Is there a hardware buying guide to get one going? I have a lead on a good display, but not sure what to get for a barebones PC. I know to avoid ATI cards, but a shopping list would be nice, and not just for the buttons/plunger, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been using hyperspin for a few years and love it. I reviewed it here as well as interviewed the founding creator. I have it hooked up to my media center pc, but one of these years when my kids get older I plan on building a arcade cabinet to show them the joys and wonders of vintage gaming with hyperspin. By all means go hyperspin.... but if xbmc takes off with its addons..... we might have a run for our money.