Photo

Skyward Sword, Any early releases?

17 replies to this topic

#1 thegamezmaster OFFLINE  

thegamezmaster

River Patroller

• 2,001 posts

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:34 AM

Any place selling sooner than Sunday? Any place still taking preorders for deluxe where you can pickup?Thanks.

#2 thegamezmaster OFFLINE  

thegamezmaster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:33 PM

Didn't find any early sales but was able to secure a "bundle" for Sunday at 9 am, so I'm happy with that. Getting too old for Walmart at midnight!lol

#3 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,644 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:51 PM

Not much talk about this game here.. Did anyone pick it up?

#4 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,331 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:51 PM

yes, got it at midnight Sunday!

It is wonderful, if the first level is any indication. The sword play is very cool and the game looks amazing! Zelda is instantly charming and the characters are all engaging (like they took the best of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and merged them). The story is full of mystery and I cannot wait to see how it unpacks.

Best of all, the tutorial level is pretty painless and brief. You get a sword and into the action pretty quickly. There are lots of optional side quests, or you can go straight to the main quest.

Hopefully, things are quiet because everyone is playing!

I won't be able to get back to it until Wednesday as I am traveling for work! :(

#5 swlovinist OFFLINE  

swlovinist

Stargunner

• 1,462 posts
  • I heart videogames!

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:46 AM

Game is pretty fun. I had to peel myself away after a couple of hours. So far, so good.

#6 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

River Patroller

• 4,535 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 PM

I'm liking it so far. If this is the Wii's swan song, it's a nice way to go out. Great use of controls, IMO ... and I love the art direction on it.

#7 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,763 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 AM

Picked this up on release day as well and I'm liking what I'm playing. A lot. My only gripe is the constant nagging from the blue companion who mostly just states the obvious. ("You should probably save your game" No sh*t, I was actually walking towards the save point thankyouverymuch. "Your shield is almost broken" Oh, that's what that shield life bar is for. Thanks for telling me I suck. "You should probably get some hearts. Your life is low" Blue thing, you're a genius.) Wish there was a way to turn that off.

I love that you can return to the sky pretty much any time you want. It makes the world feel huge (and I've only opened up a couple sections so far). The sword-play is great too. I've been avoiding any reviews or news on the game. I wanted to go in fresh and so far I'm really liking this Zelda. :thumbsup:

#8 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,331 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:38 AM

Ok, so having made it through the first temple and completed a handful of side quests I am almost ready to declare this the most spectacular Zelda game ever. It has all of the magic of an original Zelda game plus all of the maturity of a Twilight Princess (without all of the boorish dog nonsense). The puzzles are easily some of the smartest I have encountered in a Zelda game (including some devious handheld installments) and the combat, albeit tricky to learn at first, is top notch. You simply cannot hack and slash, you must learn enemy behavior and weaknesses.

The only drawback so far is the heavy hand-holding that goes on, at least in the early part of the first chapter. Fi is all over you telling you the obvious (like Emehr says) and it feels a little smothering. That said, it seems to let up a bit once you get rolling and Fi actually has a lot of interesting and useful information to impart about enemies you fight and even your gaming stats. She will give you as much or as little help as you ask for and does some fairly deep game analysis if you probe hard enough.

I am about to embark on the second chapter, and dudes, I am EXCITED!

#9 thegamezmaster OFFLINE  

thegamezmaster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:02 PM

Got mine on release day too. Got the whole bundle and so far so good. Like it a lot!

#10 per OFFLINE  

per

Moonsweeper

• 325 posts

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:00 PM

I'm four dungeons in, and so far the third dungeon has been the most spectacular. Some of the concepts they are bringing up really allows for not only varied gameplay, but interesting twists and turns plot-wise too.

#11 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,331 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:25 PM

51 hours in and I think I am about to start the final chapter. The game is freaking huge, epic, and smart. They find new ways to reinvent areas you have previously been to, with new quests and you never run into an item that you don't need over and over again later in the game (no more use it in the dungeon you find it and then forget about it). The story is big and very engaging. Side quests are peppered just about right to give you a break from the main quest, but not drag on and on.

I love this game!

#12 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,331 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Fri Dec 2, 2011 10:39 PM

Just completed it (59hr. 30mn) and WOW what an epic game. I still have some side quests to finish up and a few skill tests to max out, but I beat the main game and let me tell you, this is one for the ages. A loving tribute to everything that is great about the Zelda mythos with fresh, much harder puzzles and exciting new challenges. This could be your first Zelda game or you could be like me and have played them all, and you still come away in awe.

Amazing.

#13 Mendon OFFLINE  

Mendon

River Patroller

• 4,805 posts

Posted Sat Dec 3, 2011 10:20 AM

Stan.... did you have any problems at all near the end of the game?

Only reason I ask is because I'd read that there is a major "game killing" glitch.... similiar to the cannon glitch in Twilight Princess.... and its making me a bit nervous.

Glitch Story Here: http://www.zeldainfo...nvestigate.html

Just curious.

Mendon

#14 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,331 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sat Dec 3, 2011 6:51 PM

I encountered no problems. I did the song quests in the following order: Water, Fire, Earth. It sounds like the glitch is only a problem if you do the Earth Song last, so just don't do that. It is an open choice and there is no benefit to doing one before the other, so just do the Earth Song last and you should be fine.

I am wrapping up side quests and skill tests tonight, and sadly my oldest save is after the Song quests, so I cannot investigate.

I would say just save the Earth Song for last and you'll probably be fine.

#15 Mendon OFFLINE  

Mendon

River Patroller

• 4,805 posts

Posted Sun Dec 4, 2011 7:58 AM

Thanks for the info, Stan; much appreciated!!

I'm not that far into the game yet so I'll follow your advice when I do reach that point.

Mendon

#16 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,331 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sun Dec 4, 2011 9:19 AM

Oh, and I know it is late in the game, but you simply MUST go back and take the Thunder God's challenge after you finish his primary quest. There is a sweet reward!

#17 Mendon OFFLINE  

Mendon

River Patroller

• 4,805 posts

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2011 7:05 AM

The following came directly from a Nintendo Rep:

"We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during the Song of the Hero quest:

1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.

2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.

3. Complete the Thunder Dragon's event, and receive his song.

4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.

5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.

Solutions:

• This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon's song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.

• If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

I wish I had a better answer, but I'm afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support."

That is pretty much the solution you provided, isn't it Stan?

Mendon

Edited by Mendon, Wed Dec 7, 2011 7:07 AM.

#18 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,331 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2011 4:58 PM

Yeah, just do the Thunder Song quest last and you are safe.

Sounds like triggering the glitch is pretty tough to do actually, so just do the Lanayru Song quest last and you are good.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users