Photo

3DS cheaper than DSi at Target, still not selling!

22 replies to this topic

#1 davepesc OFFLINE  

davepesc

Stargunner

• 1,284 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:47 PM

My daughter decided she wants a 3DS for Christmas, so I've been looking for the best place to buy one. I was surprised to see Target selling them for $145, as systems almost never get put on sale below MSRP. You'll often see bundles, but rarely flat-out discounts.

So, I drove down to the store around 5p.m., expecting to find them already sold out. But, the locked case was nearly full of them! Even more surprising, the case was nearly sold out of the more expensive DSi.

I bought one, because she wants it (even though we'll likely have to block the 3-D functionality because of her age). But, I feel kinda like a sucka! I'm feeling this system is doomed to the obscure gimmick bin. Can anything save it?

#2 VertigoProcess OFFLINE  

VertigoProcess

Chopper Commander

• 220 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:09 PM

Im not going to comment on the "can anything save it" part cuz I don't want to get pulled into a discussion about pros and cons and pass and fails and futures and not futures of that hand held... but I will say this... I work at target and we've been getting less DSIs in and we got a huge shipment of 3DSs just for this sale... and the way the target system works every hour everything that was sold in the hour before it gets pushed out of the back room... so basically if 5 3DSs are sold then 5 more will come out of the backroom to replace them in the case... so it most likely just seemed like none were sold... esp since we had a line of people standing outside of my store waiting to get in just to grab a 3ds... little did they know that we had more then enough to go around so people like you strolling in at 5pm and still grab one...

#3 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,760 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 PM

I bought one today too. There's a black friday ad out there that has a 3DS + Super Mario 3D for $179. But if you buy a 3DS now ($145) plus the game ($40) it's only like six dollars more total so I jumped on it. That six dollars was an investment in my sanity. Not having to wait in line Friday morning? It was more than worth it!

I totally skipped the DSi. We already have three DS's in the house and couldn't justify the DSi. The additional features just couldn't sell it to me. And the lack of a GBA slot didn't help. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it but so far I'm pretty happy with the 3DS. I like the retractable antenna-like stylus and the feel of the circle pad. The pad is much better than the horrible analog nub of the PSP. That thing is just unusable.

#4 bomberpunk OFFLINE  

bomberpunk

River Patroller

• 2,068 posts
  • i hoard video games.

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 PM

I read somewhere that it has been selling well since the price drop. The 145 is just a temporary sale price at Target only from what I understand.

edit: i'm pretty sure it was a biased Nintendo website or perhaps magazine (i'm actually subscribed to NP)

Edited by bomberpunk, Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 PM.

#5 StoneAgeGamer OFFLINE  

StoneAgeGamer

Stargunner

• 1,484 posts
  • Gaming de-evolved.

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 PM

Sales are often very slow until Black Friday and then most people start their X-mas shopping. Most people wait until Black Friday deals to start shopping.

#6 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,025 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:59 PM

Here's the deal. Is it just the 3DS isn't selling? Or is it the DSi is also not selling? Lots of handhelds are suffering due to crap like Iphones and Andrews, so not near the sales there used to be, but I'll stick with a real console and handheld untill I absolutely have to get something else.

#7 davepesc OFFLINE  

davepesc

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,284 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:59 PM

Im not going to comment on the "can anything save it" part cuz I don't want to get pulled into a discussion about pros and cons and pass and fails and futures and not futures of that hand held... but I will say this... I work at target and we've been getting less DSIs in and we got a huge shipment of 3DSs just for this sale... and the way the target system works every hour everything that was sold in the hour before it gets pushed out of the back room... so basically if 5 3DSs are sold then 5 more will come out of the backroom to replace them in the case... so it most likely just seemed like none were sold... esp since we had a line of people standing outside of my store waiting to get in just to grab a 3ds... little did they know that we had more then enough to go around so people like you strolling in at 5pm and still grab one...

Interesting to know. Thanks!

#8 eggomania OFFLINE  

eggomania

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:13 PM

I think the 3DS's sales will pick up next year when better games are supposed to be available. It would have been nice if the 3DS had a great gaming lineup on launch day; that would have helped a lot. Then again, the DS started off poorly too. I think the 3DS can still pull off good sales in the near future.

#9 bomberpunk OFFLINE  

bomberpunk

River Patroller

• 2,068 posts
  • i hoard video games.

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:15 PM

i think they're picking up right now. i've been to three stores and they've been sold out.

#10 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,025 posts

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:31 PM

Of course those stores could just be not going to get any more :P J/K....I hope....

But yeah, after a few AAA titles come out, I expect it to sell well. At least there is a new mario game now, and isn't a Mario Kart game supposed to come out soon too? I bet the 3DS will be a considerably more "hot" seller come christmass time.

#11 thegamezmaster OFFLINE  

thegamezmaster

River Patroller

• 2,001 posts

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:04 AM

Bet they'll be gone after today. Me I got one of the Legend of Zelda 3DS bundles. Just gotta wait. ;)

#12 Tickled_Pink OFFLINE  

Tickled_Pink

River Patroller

• 4,958 posts

Posted Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:32 AM

We took the plunge after seeing an ad which showed that they now had a slider to turn down the 3d. Got it for our 9 year old daughter, even though she only got the XL last Christmas.

Tried it out. You do get used to the 3D after a while.

#13 David Hasselhoff OFFLINE  

David Hasselhoff

Baywatcher

• 12,873 posts

Posted Fri Dec 2, 2011 11:48 PM

I'm still gonna wait for a new hardware revision of the 3ds before buying one for my son.

#14 atarian63 OFFLINE  

atarian63

River Patroller

• 3,826 posts

Posted Sun Dec 4, 2011 4:52 PM

What one do you mean, the smaller sized unit? There was some discussion of a dual analog stick unit awhile back. that would be a mistake imho.
The current one sold 500k units on black friday

#15 davepesc OFFLINE  

davepesc

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,284 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:21 PM

Had to bump this old thread to offer my thoughts on the 3DS. Now, I know there are supporters here, but I really hate this thing. The 3D effect is pretty cool... if I keep my head in the exact spot. If I move a few inches, it's an instant aneurysm.

The unit came with these cards, which when viewed through the 3DS's camera, starts a minigame. This sounds great, but the game requires you to move around the cards. Unfortunately, if you move, the camera "loses" the card and ends the game. Very frustrating.

Luckily, my daughter likes watching Netflix on the 3DS, but I'd have been better off getting her an iPod.

#16 Ryanw OFFLINE  

Ryanw

Dragonstomper

• 506 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2012 7:45 PM

3DS is a neat system to own. I was an early adopter so I was put in the Ambassador's program. I took advantage of that and other free game offers and have roughly 22 games on the system that I didn't pay for. Between those games and a few retail releases I picked up (Pilot Wings, Steel Diver, Ridge Racer 3D) I'm having a fun time with the system. The cards are really dumb I agree with you there, but I haven't had the same frustrations with the 3D like you did so I guess I'm lucky on that front. I use the system a lot for Netflix and as my mp3 player. There are better devices out there for those sort of things, but the 3DS gets the job done. Only thing I can really complain about is the battery life, but it's something I've gotten used to.

#17 Skarrj OFFLINE  

Skarrj

Dragonstomper

• 522 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2012 8:06 PM

Im having more fun with the AR cards than I am with the commercial games. Seriously, anyone else put the ? Card on thier wife/girlfriends ladyparts yet? Fightng that dragon is pure comedy.

#18 atarian63 OFFLINE  

atarian63

River Patroller

• 3,826 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2012 8:15 PM

I enjoy shooting my kids in "faceraiders"

#19 Tr3vor OFFLINE  

Tr3vor

Stargunner

• 1,906 posts
  • AAARG!

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012 1:55 AM

I got one the day after christmas with mah birthday/christmas money. I got the red one with zelda. I love this thing, even the AR Games, which dont end when the 3ds doesnt see the card, it pauses the game untill it sees it again. For me, the 3d slider is up all the way every time i play it, even with motion. Controlls. You just gotta rotate your whole body, so you dont lose the 3d while moving. Before I got one, i expected the 3d sweetspot would be smaller than it is.

I think that this thing is great.

#20 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,483 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012 4:56 AM

You don't have to move yourself around the cards.. you can actually rotate the object the cards are on and accomplish what you need to.

Edited by Shannon, Tue Jan 3, 2012 4:57 AM.

#21 Tr3vor OFFLINE  

Tr3vor

Stargunner

• 1,906 posts
  • AAARG!

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012 9:28 PM

I know that with the cards, but with face raiders and like the 1st person viewing in Zelda, you have to rotate yourself to keep the 3d going.

#22 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,483 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012 11:50 PM

My post was directed at davepesc.. :)

#23 Tr3vor OFFLINE  

Tr3vor

Stargunner

• 1,906 posts
  • AAARG!