IGNORED

3DS cheaper than DSi at Target, still not selling!

davepesc

My daughter decided she wants a 3DS for Christmas, so I've been looking for the best place to buy one. I was surprised to see Target selling them for $145, as systems almost never get put on sale below MSRP. You'll often see bundles, but rarely flat-out discounts.

So, I drove down to the store around 5p.m., expecting to find them already sold out. But, the locked case was nearly full of them! Even more surprising, the case was nearly sold out of the more expensive DSi.

I bought one, because she wants it (even though we'll likely have to block the 3-D functionality because of her age). But, I feel kinda like a sucka! I'm feeling this system is doomed to the obscure gimmick bin. Can anything save it?

Im not going to comment on the "can anything save it" part cuz I don't want to get pulled into a discussion about pros and cons and pass and fails and futures and not futures of that hand held... but I will say this... I work at target and we've been getting less DSIs in and we got a huge shipment of 3DSs just for this sale... and the way the target system works every hour everything that was sold in the hour before it gets pushed out of the back room... so basically if 5 3DSs are sold then 5 more will come out of the backroom to replace them in the case... so it most likely just seemed like none were sold... esp since we had a line of people standing outside of my store waiting to get in just to grab a 3ds... little did they know that we had more then enough to go around so people like you strolling in at 5pm and still grab one...

I bought one today too. There's a black friday ad out there that has a 3DS + Super Mario 3D for $179. But if you buy a 3DS now ($145) plus the game ($40) it's only like six dollars more total so I jumped on it. That six dollars was an investment in my sanity. Not having to wait in line Friday morning? It was more than worth it!

I totally skipped the DSi. We already have three DS's in the house and couldn't justify the DSi. The additional features just couldn't sell it to me. And the lack of a GBA slot didn't help. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it but so far I'm pretty happy with the 3DS. I like the retractable antenna-like stylus and the feel of the circle pad. The pad is much better than the horrible analog nub of the PSP. That thing is just unusable.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that it has been selling well since the price drop. The 145 is just a temporary sale price at Target only from what I understand.

edit: i'm pretty sure it was a biased Nintendo website or perhaps magazine (i'm actually subscribed to NP)

Edited by bomberpunk

Here's the deal. Is it just the 3DS isn't selling? Or is it the DSi is also not selling? Lots of handhelds are suffering due to crap like Iphones and Andrews, so not near the sales there used to be, but I'll stick with a real console and handheld untill I absolutely have to get something else.

Im not going to comment on the "can anything save it" part cuz I don't want to get pulled into a discussion about pros and cons and pass and fails and futures and not futures of that hand held... but I will say this... I work at target and we've been getting less DSIs in and we got a huge shipment of 3DSs just for this sale... and the way the target system works every hour everything that was sold in the hour before it gets pushed out of the back room... so basically if 5 3DSs are sold then 5 more will come out of the backroom to replace them in the case... so it most likely just seemed like none were sold... esp since we had a line of people standing outside of my store waiting to get in just to grab a 3ds... little did they know that we had more then enough to go around so people like you strolling in at 5pm and still grab one...

Interesting to know. Thanks!

I think the 3DS's sales will pick up next year when better games are supposed to be available. It would have been nice if the 3DS had a great gaming lineup on launch day; that would have helped a lot. Then again, the DS started off poorly too. I think the 3DS can still pull off good sales in the near future.

Of course those stores could just be not going to get any more :P J/K....I hope....

But yeah, after a few AAA titles come out, I expect it to sell well. At least there is a new mario game now, and isn't a Mario Kart game supposed to come out soon too? I bet the 3DS will be a considerably more "hot" seller come christmass time.

• 5 weeks later...

Had to bump this old thread to offer my thoughts on the 3DS. Now, I know there are supporters here, but I really hate this thing. The 3D effect is pretty cool... if I keep my head in the exact spot. If I move a few inches, it's an instant aneurysm.

The unit came with these cards, which when viewed through the 3DS's camera, starts a minigame. This sounds great, but the game requires you to move around the cards. Unfortunately, if you move, the camera "loses" the card and ends the game. Very frustrating.

Luckily, my daughter likes watching Netflix on the 3DS, but I'd have been better off getting her an iPod.

3DS is a neat system to own. I was an early adopter so I was put in the Ambassador's program. I took advantage of that and other free game offers and have roughly 22 games on the system that I didn't pay for. Between those games and a few retail releases I picked up (Pilot Wings, Steel Diver, Ridge Racer 3D) I'm having a fun time with the system. The cards are really dumb I agree with you there, but I haven't had the same frustrations with the 3D like you did so I guess I'm lucky on that front. I use the system a lot for Netflix and as my mp3 player. There are better devices out there for those sort of things, but the 3DS gets the job done. Only thing I can really complain about is the battery life, but it's something I've gotten used to.

• Like 1

I got one the day after christmas with mah birthday/christmas money. I got the red one with zelda. I love this thing, even the AR Games, which dont end when the 3ds doesnt see the card, it pauses the game untill it sees it again. For me, the 3d slider is up all the way every time i play it, even with motion. Controlls. You just gotta rotate your whole body, so you dont lose the 3d while moving. Before I got one, i expected the 3d sweetspot would be smaller than it is.

I think that this thing is great.