IGNORED

Neo Geo Analogue CMVS Slim and Analogue Arcade Stick - On Sale Now

Christoph

These products look amazing. The prices do not however. $650 for the console... really? In this day and age, a cart system shouldn't run that much. The wood looks awesome and all that jazz... but that price is not making any sense. I'd be curious to know how many employees you had and what your overhead looked like... I can see $150 for the Joystick... and maybe $300 tops for the console.

The feeling I've always had with Neo Geo, is that Neo Geo owners don't want others to be Neo Geo owners :lol:

I've never understood the 'eliteness' of the Neo Geo.

These products look amazing. The prices do not however. $650 for the console... really? In this day and age, a cart system shouldn't run that much. The wood looks awesome and all that jazz... but that price is not making any sense. I'd be curious to know how many employees you had and what your overhead looked like... I can see $150 for the Joystick... and maybe $300 tops for the console.

The feeling I've always had with Neo Geo, is that Neo Geo owners don't want others to be Neo Geo owners :lol:

On the low end a CMVS done yourself with minimal bells or whistles would run $250 - $300 with the price of the board, video encoder (a good one), power, bios 3.0 upgrade, and wiring. I'm sure the remaining cost is for premium wood, the woodworkers time, research and development costs, the tech assembly persons time, any overhead, then profit. I'd be shocked if they make more than $100 - $150 profit overall for the quality of this product. I agree it is steep as CMVS go, but it isn't made from 2x4s they nailed together from Home Depot. They set out to make "the best" quality wooden shell possible. Sure, you can do it for less, but for what it is, I can't imagine you can do it for less - BETTER, unless you were already a professional woodworker.

I've gotten lots of request for dust covers.. so here is the first mockup for dust covers for all Analogue CMVSes.

Solid black cover, brand on white.

What do you guys think?

pdfjzof4r.jpg

pdfs8bl4w.jpg

I think rounded corners on the name plate piece of cloth and then have it stitched on with a heavy gauge thread with a spacing of around 1/16" I think this would give your cover a rustic look that would go well with the incredible looking quality of your product. Also I am not sure of what the material is, but I would recommend canvas.

On the low end a CMVS done yourself with minimal bells or whistles would run $250 - $300 with the price of the board, video encoder (a good one), power, bios 3.0 upgrade, and wiring. I'm sure the remaining cost is for premium wood, the woodworkers time, research and development costs, the tech assembly persons time, any overhead, then profit. I'd be shocked if they make more than $100 - $150 profit overall for the quality of this product. I agree it is steep as CMVS go, but it isn't made from 2x4s they nailed together from Home Depot. They set out to make "the best" quality wooden shell possible. Sure, you can do it for less, but for what it is, I can't imagine you can do it for less - BETTER, unless you were already a professional woodworker.

Question: are the parts used in these custom systems, brand new components or are they Frankensteining used parts for the construction of these custom consoles?

thanks

That is exactly true ax, thanks ;)

@Protoplasym,

Trust me, I understand your sentiment While our products are certainly high end and costly at that, I promise you that they are worth every penny. The Arcade Stick uses 100% genuine Seimitsu hardware, which is purchased directly from Seimitsu in Japan. No knock offs from China. The enclosure of the stick (and the CMVS) is 100% hand crafted out of solid walnut or solid ash. No veneers, no BS. This is as good as it gets. These are custom made, hand crafted products that we pride ourselves in producing at the highest quality we are capable of. I'm telling you, you've got to see them in person to believe it. You can also check out all of our reviews here too.

In regards to the console - $300 wouldn't even cover the electronics and components installed in them ;) These units are extremely expensive to build and take 20-25 hours to build each. While they are not for everyone, I promise you, that they are a bargain at their price. We built these to be the ultimate homage to the Neo Geo and cut zero corners within its design.

I wouldn't worry about the eliteness of the Neo Geo. While some act that way, I look at it as one of the greatest (and most fun!) video game systems of all time, with many, many exclusive games. Our products are built not only as an homage but as the best way to explore those games with the original hardware.

Check out our Why CMVS? page to read some of the reasons why we think its the best option. I hate to see anybody turned off by the eliteness aspects as it just stops good people from enjoying an awesome system.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

I've gotten lots of request for dust covers.. so here is the first mockup for dust covers for all Analogue CMVSes.

Solid black cover, brand on white.

What do you guys think?

I think rounded corners on the name plate piece of cloth and then have it stitched on with a heavy gauge thread with a spacing of around 1/16" I think this would give your cover a rustic look that would go well with the incredible looking quality of your product. Also I am not sure of what the material is, but I would recommend canvas.

Thanks for your thoughts Yurkie. The next one I make is going to be simply the brand in white text, larger. I would love to do them in canvas, but I'd be afraid its too much of a rough material. I think it would depend on its thickness. I'll be sure to post the next one when it comes!

Question: are the parts used in these custom systems, brand new components or are they Frankensteining used parts for the construction of these custom consoles?

thanks

No frankensteining.

Every single component and piece is absolutely brand new except for the SNK NEO GEO MV1C motherboard itself. These are of course not in production any longer. We purchase them used and refurbish and restore them to tip top shape. They are extremely reliable (they were built to be left on all day, every day). Occasionally we do run into some new old stock MV1Cs and can build them per a customers request - but they are 2-3x the price.

That is exactly true ax, thanks ;)

@Protoplasym,

Trust me, I understand your sentiment While our products are certainly high end and costly at that, I promise you that they are worth every penny. The Arcade Stick uses 100% genuine Seimitsu hardware, which is purchased directly from Seimitsu in Japan. No knock offs from China. The enclosure of the stick (and the CMVS) is 100% hand crafted out of solid walnut or solid ash. No veneers, no BS. This is as good as it gets. These are custom made, hand crafted products that we pride ourselves in producing at the highest quality we are capable of. I'm telling you, you've got to see them in person to believe it. You can also check out all of our reviews here too.

In regards to the console - $300 wouldn't even cover the electronics and components installed in them ;) These units are extremely expensive to build and take 20-25 hours to build each. While they are not for everyone, I promise you, that they are a bargain at their price. We built these to be the ultimate homage to the Neo Geo and cut zero corners within its design.

I wouldn't worry about the eliteness of the Neo Geo. While some act that way, I look at it as one of the greatest (and most fun!) video game systems of all time, with many, many exclusive games. Our products are built not only as an homage but as the best way to explore those games with the original hardware.

Check out our Why CMVS? page to read some of the reasons why we think its the best option. I hate to see anybody turned off by the eliteness aspects as it just stops good people from enjoying an awesome system.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

Not sure I could even build a Wantlist of 20 games, so I'd have a very hard time calling it more than a Niche system... imho

I still don't understand how the Motherboard runs $300 in 2012... when it's most likely (for todays standards) what... $5 worth of hardware perhaps? Is there a reason they can't be remanufactured at a fraction of the cost that these old units are being middlemanuponmiddleman resold at?

A top notch Nvidia Video Card won't run me $300... how is a NeoGeo MB costing $300 in 2012.... it does not jive.

Save as Sony asking $20 for an 8 MB save card... makes absolutely zero sense.

I agree/concur with these points, and now I see value considering it takes so many hrs to construct one of these. I still can't get over the cost of the MB... if I simply take $700 and divide it by 25 hrs... that's $28/hr to construct the console, acting as if all the materials were free. I guess that's a decent deal, 'if' y'all were only planning on making a few of these. But... if y'all plan on making thousands of these, I would expect the cost to come down.

And the $300 for the MB ain't working for me... that's 'that' elitism I was speaking of... imho

The motherboard is not $300, nor did I say it was. I said exactly, "electronics and components". All of the electronics and components in the entire unit. You surely don't think its simply an old motherboard slapped into an enclosure do you? A mother board, a custom video encoder, power switch, power input, LED, controller ports, dust flaps, and all special wiring for its respective application. That doesn't take into account 20-25 hours of labor, wood costs, and every other thing it takes to produce a product, market it and sell it.

Honestly, if you can't see that, I don't know what to tell ya ;)

There are no options to "remanufacture" nor would we want to. Its too small of a market. You seriously think we are producing 1000's of these? C'mon... Also, your hypothetical, cost-free-material argument at $28/hr that then leads to a conclusion, does not make any sense...

I supplied you with a link above (here it is again) to read more about why we built this product and why we think its the best AND most economical way (seriously!) to explore the world of Neo Geo. If you are actually interested, give it a read and it will give you the information that will help to understand the world of Neo Geo and why its such an expensive, complicated one.

The bottom line is this: these are hand crafted, high end items. If you don't care for or understand the world of Neo Geo or see the value in higher end, hand crafted items, thats fine, many do ;)

• Like 1

The motherboard is not $300, nor did I say it was. I said exactly, "electronics and components". All of the electronics and components in the entire unit. You surely don't think its simply an old motherboard slapped into an enclosure do you? A mother board, a custom video encoder, power switch, power input, LED, controller ports, dust flaps, and all special wiring for its respective application. That doesn't take into account 20-25 hours of labor, wood costs, and every other thing it takes to produce a product, market it and sell it.

Honestly, if you can't see that, I don't know what to tell ya ;)

There are no options to "remanufacture" nor would we want to. Its too small of a market. You seriously think we are producing 1000's of these? C'mon... Also, your hypothetical, cost-free-material argument at $28/hr that then leads to a conclusion, does not make any sense...

I supplied you with a link above (here it is again) to read more about why we built this product and why we think its the best AND most economical way (seriously!) to explore the world of Neo Geo. If you are actually interested, give it a read and it will give you the information that will help to understand the world of Neo Geo and why its such an expensive, complicated one.

The bottom line is this: these are hand crafted, high end items. If you don't care for or understand the world of Neo Geo or see the value in higher end, hand crafted items, thats fine, many do ;)

I know... just talking out loud, apparently for naught

I am seeing that now. I want one of these in Black ;) (not today, but I would like one at some point)... not sure if I want a controller or not seeing as I recently received a Neo Geo Pro Stick like new in box. Are the internals in the 'pro' edition of the neo geo joystick, the same as the normal neo geo stick I wonder...?

Do I need to buy one soon or do you guys plan on continually making more depending on future orders?

I was just looking at your site again (clicked on that link you supplied, love how well y'all organized all the information/etc), and I realized something... it doesn't say Neo Geo anywhere on your console... that kinda sucks... but I assume you guys did it out of copyright respect/possible infringement?... looks gorgeous in black, but without the name on it, it doesn't really look like a video game system, looks more like a sculpture or piece of art. What you guys have accomplished is definitely impressive, it's still a hard sell though imo.

Edited by Protoplasym

Have you considered cherry or mahogany cases? Not that I can afford one of these at the moment, but it'd still be quite a sight.

My current consolized MVS (from another source) has given me a lot of problems and is due for upgrade. It's always had video noise issues (I've opened it, and it appears to be a single loose IC handling that), and on top of it a few games seem to be missing some of their sounds. It's certainly due for replacement, but it will have to line up behind everything else that's waiting for funding, including the replacement of my mvs cabinet itself. (It works well, but it's a conversion, not the famous red box of joy with credit counters and a memory slot)

One day I'll quit cheaping out on my MVS purchases.

• 2 weeks later...