IGNORED

New Apple IIe Owner with Questions

yell0w_lantern

I never had one of these thing growing up so I don't know much about it. My plan is to eventually have a vintage system game room.

Well, a friend of mine gave me 2 IIEs and a II Plus. These are stock units.

Is the female DB9 on the back of the IIE for a joystick or is there some sort of IC socket inside the case?

Also, he did not include any power cords but the connection looks like a standard PC Power supply cord would work. Is that correct?

Lastly, how does loading Apple IIe software differ from C64?

LOAD"COMMANDO",8,1 [i]or[/i] LOAD"*",8,1 [i]et cetera[/i]

Yes it's for the joystick (it has a specific pinout) and Yes it's a standard PC power cord. BTW I'd use the IIe, it has 128K and Double Hi-Res graphics so it can run the more advanced games.

Most Apple II software is self booting. There are a few games (mostly multi-game disks) that may require you to type Run or Brun before the name of the game (usually they'll display the files on boot up), but that's about as complex as it gets. Nothing as annoying as the C-64's Load *,8,1 thing

It depends on how old the IIe is as to whether or not it's got 128k and is capable of double hi-res. If it came out prior to the //c, and was never upgraded, it could have just 64k. Even if it was upgraded it still depends on whether or not it has an extended 80 column card in it with the additional 64k needed to make 128k. I'd still go with either of the IIe's though, simply because, IMHO, it's a better computer than the II+.

It depends on how old the IIe is as to whether or not it's got 128k and is capable of double hi-res. If it came out prior to the //c, and was never upgraded, it could have just 64k. Even if it was upgraded it still depends on whether or not it has an extended 80 column card in it with the additional 64k needed to make 128k.

Those tend to be few and far between these days because almost everyone upgraded their IIe. Sort of how Rom0 IIgs are impossible to find anymore.

Congrats!

You might want to take a look at this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/105/entry-8601-apple-ii-disk-image-related-things/

I would locate a Super Serial card for moving software and data between your Apple and a newer computer. I've done lots of stuff on mine with ADT, including some writing. Damn cool.

It depends on how old the IIe is as to whether or not it's got 128k and is capable of double hi-res. If it came out prior to the //c, and was never upgraded, it could have just 64k. Even if it was upgraded it still depends on whether or not it has an extended 80 column card in it with the additional 64k needed to make 128k.

Those tend to be few and far between these days because almost everyone upgraded their IIe. Sort of how Rom0 IIgs are impossible to find anymore.

I am trying to learn a little about the IIe, myself.

This is confusing.

If I think I understand correctly, there are 2 major upgrades, distinctly different:

1) The "enhanced" ROM set (and swap to 65C02 processor) which increased IIc compatibility. This is "IIe enhanced."

2) A completely different (revised) motherboard, which allowed "double hi-res" graphics. This is just a newer version of the computer, altogether.

So if you have any IIe you can upgrade to "enhanced." You must have the newer revision motherboard for double hi-res, period. These are different considerations, eh?

Is this not correct?

Edited by wood_jl

I am trying to learn a little about the IIe, myself.

This is confusing.

If I think I understand correctly, there are 2 major upgrades, distinctly different:

1) The "enhanced" ROM set (and swap to 65C02 processor) which increased IIc compatibility. This is "IIe enhanced."

2) A completely different (revised) motherboard, which allowed "double hi-res" graphics. This is just a newer version of the computer, altogether.

So if you have any IIe you can upgrade to "enhanced." You must have the newer revision motherboard for double hi-res, period. These are different considerations, eh?

Is this not correct?

Yes I think that is correct. Having the revised motherboard is the important thing, the Enhanced Rom isn't really important if all you're doing is games (the enhancements weren't used very much and almost exclusively for productivity software). That being said, I think you'd be hard pressed to find the non-Double Hi-Res version of the motherboard as they weren't on the market very long and most were upgraded. Generally any IIe you find will be alright for what you need.

There's also the Platinum IIe that came with the number pad on the side of the keyboard. This was the last version of the IIe released, but other than the rearranged keyboard layout and color scheme it's 100% identical to the Enhanced IIe.

To find out if your //e is enhanced, look at the screen when you turn it on.

If it says "Apple ][", then it is not enhanced. If it says "Apple //e", then it is.

It's also actually pretty common to find //e systems without 128k. I recently got one and had to get a 64k card, as it only came with the 80 Column card that did not have the memory as well.

To find out if it's got 128k, look at the small card inside that is close to the power supply. Most will say on them if they're 64k/80c cards or just 80c.

Or just try playing Airheart, Wings of Fury, or Dragon Wars. If they don't work, you don't have 128k.

• Like 1

Any recommendations for a good joystick?

Back when I had an Apple //c in the mid 80s, I went through several joysticks. The hands-down best one that I ever used was the Gravis. I think it was the "Mach IV" model. Black with 3 red buttons on it. My friend, who at the time had a //+, also went through the same thing, and he agreed on the Gravis, and got one for himself.

So, yeah, if you can find one, that's the best one in my opinion.

If you happen to see any Gravis sticks on Ebay though, watch out, and make absolutely sure in the pictures that it has the 9-pin adapter. Most models for the Apple 2 also supported the PC, and they came with an adapter for the Apple. I have seen many listings in the past on Ebay for these sticks that claim that they work with the Apple 2, but don't come with the required adapter.

I think it was the "Mach IV" model. Black with 3 red buttons on it. My friend, who at the time had a //+, also went through the same thing, and he agreed on the Gravis, and got one for himself.

So, yeah, if you can find one, that's the best one in my opinion.

I use a Mach III myself. I agree the Mach series are the best joysticks for the Apple II.

I'm getting ready to fire up my 300-Baud Hayes Micro-Modem. This is the one with the external box, the MicroCoupler. It's got the little red light and makes a nice sophisticated sounding click when it goes on-line. Nothing says 1970's and Apple II quite like this. Thrilling!

While I have and have played with several other micro-modems, this **THIS** one is my first modem, and one that actually served time in the Shuttle Program, and taught me all about war dialing, like in Wargames, where the computer would sit and dial down a list of a 1000 numbers all night long, listening for carriers. Diabolical!

And, perhaps most importantly, it powered my early BBS & warez efforts. I recall it took around 2 - 3 hours to x-fer a complete floppy image (143Kbytes). Remember X-Modem and Y-Modem protocols? Outstanding!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Along with the 9-pin joystick port, there is also an IC type connector on the inside of the case for the same joystick port. When you pick up a joystick, it may be either variety and it will work in your //e. Also, note that the joysticks 2 buttons are also the open and close apple buttons, so you can use either. Keep that in mind when you hit Control-Reset expecting it to break to DOS and it reboots instead-- check to make sure your joystick button isn't stuck or something is pressing it down... Yeah, it's happened to me many times... :)

My favorite Apple 2 joystick is the Mach series, hands down. I've not used the Gravis, but I did have a friend who swore by it and it was the only joystick he could use to finish The Immortal for the IIgs (a tough and pretty unforgiving game).

Speaking of power chords, I've been having a hell of a time trying to find one for a IIE I was just given. Radio Shack, hardware stores (Lowes, Menards, etc.), etc. don't carry the right shape or size. I did find one that's the exact right shape at the base, but is half the size.

The Apple IIe should just use the standard 'PC' power cord. It wasn't a special one.

Personally I'd just get one of these, having a power switch in the front is sooooo much nicer (and I suppose the fan helps too): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2509459402111?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

The Apple IIe should just use the standard 'PC' power cord. It wasn't a special one.

No, it's three pronged but the rubber casing at the end of the chord that goes in to the power supply plug is a specific shape:

post-160-0-00776700-1323452817_thumb.jpg

I tried going to BestBuy, etc. looking at pc power chords and it's a different base shape. That's why this is frustrating.

Personally I'd just get one of these, having a power switch in the front is sooooo much nicer (and I suppose the fan helps too): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2509459402111?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250945940211&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Have one on another IIE, like it as well. This is a setup I'm giving to a friend though, already have several IIE's - including one of each model, II+'s, IIc's, IIgs's, and Bell and Howells, so I'm giving this one away. Bare IIE platinum, no power chord, no drives, etc. I wanted to at least get them a power chord for it.

No, it's three pronged but the rubber casing at the end of the chord that goes in to the power supply plug is a specific shape:

There must be more than one revision of the Apple IIe power supply then, because mine (from 1986) has a standard 3 pronged PC one.

There must be more than one revision of the Apple IIe power supply then, because mine (from 1986) has a standard 3 pronged PC one.

They're all three pronged, that's not the issue. It's the shape of the casing around the three prongs as I mentioned -

-----------
/              \
|              |
--------------

I found one that shape here, but smaller in scale. Really frustrating.

Strange strange.. The Apple II+ and //e should use a standard 120VAC PC power cord. There is no magic here.

If a standard power cord is not fitting, then perhaps a you have a replacement power supply, or generic one, or perhaps somebody modded it. Or damage it. But from the pictures, it is indeed a standard AC power plug for desktop PC's.

The shape you outline also appears to be standard. So I can't figure the problem here..? Anyone?