Photo

another "10 worst systems" article

11 replies to this topic

#1 toptenmaterial ONLINE  

toptenmaterial

River Patroller

• 3,620 posts

Posted Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 PM

Usually I hate these, but this one is a lot of fun to read. Plus they don't sh!t on Atari for once (the Jag was shown mercy). I've never heard of many of the systems listed here.

http://www.pcworld.c...f_all_time.html

#2 GKC OFFLINE  

GKC

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 PM

The Jag must be moving up in the world as this is the second or third "top ten worst" lists that I've seen with no mention of the Jaguar.

#3 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,882 posts

Posted Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 PM

Interesting article. It's definitely far more forgiving than most other ten "worst" lists I've seen.

I do disagree with the N-Gage though. It seems the write only based the judgement on it from its launch period (the system lasted at least three years with a re-model less than a year after the original).

The CD-i? Eh.. I don't know, I think he probably could have picked some other random, obscure platform (that only had five games released) to fill that gap. It does have some redeeming software, maybe not a lot, but it has some.

The Gizmondo is another odd choice. From what I have seen on it, it looks to actually have some decent games, and I think it even supports homebrew. I guess my philosophy here is, if that is on the list, then the equally-failed Tapwave Zodiac probably should have been on the list as well.

#4 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

River Patroller

• 2,946 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2011 1:14 PM

The Jag must be moving up in the world as this is the second or third "top ten worst" lists that I've seen with no mention of the Jaguar.

That, or the writers were simply trying to deviate from the cliche.

:)

#5 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,208 posts

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2011 3:31 PM

The CD-i lasted pretty long for a failed console. And "bad" video playback, was normal, because it's mpeg-I compression. And was normal back in the day. I didn't like it, but it was normal. And the CD-i indeed has good games, a lot of bad talk comes from the zelda titles, and a lot of people talk about it without ever even touched the system.
Controls where not great, because every pointing device had to work with it, causing a lot of lag.
A lot of the systems in the list where to ahead of time, and released to early without being tested enough in the market.

#6 mbd30 OFFLINE  

mbd30

Stargunner

• 1,941 posts

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2011 3:33 PM

The Halcyon looks like one of the biggest wastes of money, at least at the time. Only two games ever released? I pity the people who bought one. Maybe extant units in good condition are worth something today to collectors.

#7 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 8,527 posts

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2011 3:45 PM

I did_not_know the Memorex VIS was based on a 286 and a "special" version of Windoze 3.1. Blech. Especially glad I steered clear of that waste of space. Memorex historically produced some of the worst audio tape in history, so avoiding a game system by them was uber easy to do. ;)

#8 toptenmaterial ONLINE  

toptenmaterial

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,620 posts

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2011 5:11 PM

The Halcyon looks like one of the biggest wastes of money, at least at the time. Only two games ever released? I pity the people who bought one. Maybe extant units in good condition are worth something today to collectors.

Back in the 80s it probably provided a nice flat surface for decadent Wall Street hot shots to chop up their coke on.

#9 brak OFFLINE  

brak

Star Raider

• 79 posts

Posted Fri Dec 2, 2011 2:44 PM

I am the only one who dislikes these slideshow type setups on webpages for top10 lists? Just list it all on one page!

#10 Karyyk OFFLINE  

Karyyk

Dragonstomper

• 517 posts

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:51 AM

I do disagree with the N-Gage though. It seems the write only based the judgement on it from its launch period (the system lasted at least three years with a re-model less than a year after the original).

The CD-i? Eh.. I don't know, I think he probably could have picked some other random, obscure platform (that only had five games released) to fill that gap. It does have some redeeming software, maybe not a lot, but it has some.

Was just about to make those same points about the N-Gage and CD-i, but you beat me to it. Not sure what they're saying about the CD-i having bad video. For the time it was great (definitely better than the 3DO could output).

I am glad to see the Jag not showing up on each and every one of these things.

#11 marcfrick2112 OFFLINE  

marcfrick2112

Moonsweeper

• 292 posts

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:12 AM

Well, about the CD-I ... hate to upset anyone, but I found it quite an interesting system. Beyond, 'games' per se, there were other oddball titles, that at least in the case of a neighbor of mine, convinced him to buy the CD-I as an 'educational' system.. LOL!

I actually want a CD-I someday.... but, just curious.... WHY does it need special VCD's ? Apparently, the CD32 (IF you have the rare MPEG module) can play both the CD-I special discs and common VCD's...
Just Curious...

#12 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,882 posts

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:48 PM

I actually want a CD-I someday.... but, just curious.... WHY does it need special VCD's ? Apparently, the CD32 (IF you have the rare MPEG module) can play both the CD-I special discs and common VCD's...

I think you are confusing actual CD-i games (e.g., the CD-interactive format) with video CDs Philips manufactured that have the CD-i logo on them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users