IGNORED

Season 5 Round 12 *Super Cobra*

Super Cobra

Super Cobra.png

You're a helicopter gunship on a daring and dangerous mission: air surveillance of enemy territory. Success depends on how far you can penetrate enemy airspace. Can you handle the pressure? Because the further you go, the more difficult the mission becomes.

Show that you've got what it takes by manoeuvring your chopper around the craggy mountain peaks, through deep dark tunnels, over tall city buildings. All while you face enemy tanks and missiles and weird sky-flying weapons. But you can fight back with high-flying, quick-thinking, fast-reaction moves. Good luck and good flying.

Game Information

Game Name: Super Cobra

Released by: Parker Brothers, 1983

Original arcade game by: N/A

CV HSC High Score: None

TwinGalaxies High Score: None

Settings: N/A

This game was suggested by: jblenkle and chuckwalla

Contest Ends

Saturday, 17 December 2011 at 1:00AM EST

Quick-Start-Bonus-Info and HSC Rules

Final High Scores

1. jblenkle 161,540 [+10]

2. skosh 84,930 [+9]

3. ChuckH 71,160 [+8]

4. JacobZu7zu7 32,870 [+6]

5. ed1475 31,960 [+4]

6. Mangia-Boy 22,020 [+2]

7. chuckwalla 15,760 [+1]

8. roadrunner 15,460 [+1]

9. Ikrananka 12,810 [+1]

Leaderboard

1. Mangia-Boy [75] (11)

2. jblenkle [63] (11) 1

3. patbb [59] (11) 1

4. ed1475 [49] (11) 2 1

5. skosh [42] (5) 2

6. chuckwalla [34] (5) 1

7. atariron82 [30] (5) 1

8. Ikrananka [26] (11)

9. JacobZu7zu7 [20] (9)

10. ChuckH [16] (2) 1

11. Ms. Do [13] (1) 1

12. purenergy [10] (2)

13. retroillucid [10] (1) 1

14. Akito01 [8] (1)

15. roadrunner [7] (7)

16. Yurkie [6] (3)

17. ColecoDan [6] (1)

18. rmaerz [5] (3)

19. AtariBrian [4] (1)

20. SegaShooters [2] (1)

21. cmart604 [1] (1)

21. NIAD [1] (1)

21. 1982VideoGames [1] (1)

21. centiqueen81 [1] (1)

[ ] = Points

( ) = Rounds Played

BLUE = Rounds Won

GOLD = Seasons Won

Edited by Ikrananka

Yeah, don't feel bad...that kept happening to me too. I finally got it through my head that when I got down to my last life to be a little more restrained pressing the buttons.

I lost the final score quite a few times,

i'm mashing away at the fire buttons and i die on the last life and the score resets. :(

I took the screenshot on my last life.

Yikes! I just cleared 10,000 miles in Super Cobra playing in Virtual ADAM and the next screen was corrupted. I have since tested three different dumps of the rom and several emulators. So far here is what I've found:

Virtual ADAM - Corrupted graphics after 10,000 miles

BlueMSX - Corrupted graphics after 10,000 miles

Meka v.73 - Works, but emulator reports "This ROM is known as being a bad dump" SEE MY REPOST ON THIS BELOW

VColeco (Virtual ColecoVision) - Corrupted graphics. Does not appear to run correctly at all.

ColEm v2.6 - Corrupted graphics after 10,000 miles

Mess - Can't get fire buttons to work correctly so I don't know...got bombs, but no guns.

128-in-1 Cart (ColecoVision) - Plays perfectly

ADAM Computer (with 128-in-1 cart) - Corrupted Graphics. does not appear to run correctly at all

Somewhere back in the dim recesses of my mind, I seem to recall this was one cartridge that could not be copied using the various CartCopy programs on the ADAM computer. I seem to remember the only good copied version was using a CP/M based cartridge copier.

Edited by jblenkle

The image works fine with the 128-in-1. I would disregard the message in Meka as Coleco support was a late addition and also the fact that even the compatibility list itself is outdated and does not even have the game on the list and has the following message at the top.

COLECOVISION (COL) COMPATIBILITY LIST

by Tincho DJ, Jossa and Omar Cornut

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: this list is outdated. Please help rewriting it if you're interested.

So if you are going to take the emulator route it looks as if Meka is the one to use unless Mess is also ok which is possible. I was using an original cart as it gave me a chance to test it and to play this game for the first time. It seems that the game suffers from some collision detection issues and reminds me in ways of Cosmic Avenger in the way it feels. The "Press Button To Continue" is just a very sloppy way to handle things and overall this seems like a game could of used a bit more polish. Just changing that to pressing something on the numeric pad would be much better. It seems that after you complete Section 11 it just starts at the beginning again.

post-30275-0-36200700-1323043670_thumb.jpg

Actually, Meka might not work...it worked fine the first time I played through...I just made it past 10,000 Miles again and the graphics were screwed up just like the others...don't know what's going on there...

The image works fine with the 128-in-1. I would disregard the message in Meka as Coleco support was a late addition and also the fact that even the compatibility list itself is outdated and does not even have the game on the list and has the following message at the top.

COLECOVISION (COL) COMPATIBILITY LIST

by Tincho DJ, Jossa and Omar Cornut

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: this list is outdated. Please help rewriting it if you're interested.

So if you are going to take the emulator route it looks as if Meka is the one to use unless Mess is also ok which is possible. I was using an original cart as it gave me a chance to test it and to play this game for the first time. It seems that the game suffers from some collision detection issues and reminds me in ways of Cosmic Avenger in the way it feels. The "Press Button To Continue" is just a very sloppy way to handle things and overall this seems like a game could of used a bit more polish. Just changing that to pressing something on the numeric pad would be much better. It seems that after you complete Section 11 it just starts at the beginning again.

post-30275-0-36200700-1323043670_thumb.jpg

Yikes! I just cleared 10,000 miles in Super Cobra playing in Virtual ADAM and the next screen was corrupted. I have since tested three different dumps of the rom and several emulators. So far here is what I've found:

Virtual ADAM - Corrupted graphics after 10,000 miles

BlueMSX - Corrupted graphics after 10,000 miles

Meka v.73 - Works, but emulator reports "This ROM is known as being a bad dump" **

VColeco (Virtual ColecoVision) - Corrupted graphics. Does not appear to run correctly at all.

ColEm v2.6 - Corrupted graphics after 10,000 miles

Mess - Can't get fire buttons to work correctly so I don't know...got bombs, but no guns.

128-in-1 Cart (ColecoVision) - Plays perfectly

ADAM Computer (with 128-in-1 cart) - Corrupted Graphics. does not appear to run correctly at all

** Just played it through on Meka again and this time the graphics were messed up after 10,000 Miles just like the others. Don't know why it would play OK one time and not the other.

Somewhere back in the dim recesses of my mind, I seem to recall this was one cartridge that could not be copied using the various CartCopy programs on the ADAM computer. I seem to remember the only good copied version was using a CP/M based cartridge copier.

Super Cobra - 70,080

post-9212-0-68148700-1323189497_thumb.gif

Almost got a blister playing this last night...lost two lives on stupid mistakes or I would have been higher...

SHOOT! I hate that @&%@ Continue feature...I just ran up a score of 99,000+ this morning and accidently hit the button and it reset my score.

Edited by jblenkle

Double shoot...just had my first lock-up using my 128-in-1 cart on the ColecoVision. Played through the first 10 levels OK and then the game locked up and kept playing that little tune it plays when it first starts.

So the 128-in-1 and Ultimate SD carts apparently aren't exempt from whatever problem this game has...it just occurs less frequently.

Double shoot...just had my first lock-up using my 128-in-1 cart on the ColecoVision. Played through the first 10 levels OK and then the game locked up and kept playing that little tune it plays when it first starts.

So the 128-in-1 and Ultimate SD carts apparently aren't exempt from whatever problem this game has...it just occurs less frequently.

Try the attached rom image. I just dumped this from one of my Super Cobra carts. The dumps in the wild are all 8k, however when I look at my 32k dump in a hex editor it is clear to me that there is some code beyond 8k and even some occasional non-"FF" values all the way up to 32k. Normally when I dump a cart that is truely less than 32k the empty region is filled with "FF" values. So, I can only conclude that the Super Cobra dumps in the wild have been erroneously cut down to 8k and thus have lost some critical data.

Hopefully this fresh complete 32k dump may prove to be less problematic than the 8k dump in the wild. Let me know how you get on with it.

Super Cobra.zip

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

Yup, this one appears to work...I have successfully played it all the way through in Virtual ADAM so I'm fairly sure it will work in anything else too.

All those 8k dumps were probably originals off the ADAM computer with the CartCopy program. As I recall it never did copy correctly except with a little used CP/M program that copied cart games to files that were run form ADAM's CP/M 2.2.

Try the attached rom image. I just dumped this from one of my Super Cobra carts. The dumps in the wild are all 8k, however when I look at my 32k dump in a hex editor it is clear to me that there is some code beyond 8k and even some occasional non-"FF" values all the way up to 32k. Normally when I dump a cart that is truely less than 32k the empty region is filled with "FF" values. So, I can only conclude that the Super Cobra dumps in the wild have been erroneously cut down to 8k and thus have lost some critical data.

Hopefully this fresh complete 32k dump may prove to be less problematic than the 8k dump in the wild. Let me know how you get on with it.

Yup, this one appears to work...I have successfully played it all the way through in Virtual ADAM so I'm fairly sure it will work in anything else too.

All those 8k dumps were probably originals off the ADAM computer with the CartCopy program. As I recall it never did copy correctly except with a little used CP/M program that copied cart games to files that were run form ADAM's CP/M 2.2.

Great news - thanks for letting me know. I'll be deleting all of my copies of the 8k dump.

I've got to step out for about an hour, but when I get back, I'll test it on a couple of the other emulators too...and then go back to the 128-in-1 cart and play it. I'm finding this is one of the few games I play better on the real ColecoVision as my PC's joystick is too sensitive and just an accidental touch of the directional control sends me into a wall.

Great news - thanks for letting me know. I'll be deleting all of my copies of the 8k dump.

OK, the 32k Super Cobra dump appears to work on all the emulators except VColeco (Virtual ColecoVision). The only one I can't test it on is MESS because I have not been able to get the 2nd fire button to work on that emulator.

I tested it on:

Virtual ADAM

ColEm

Meka

BlueMSX

The 32k rom also no longer reports a bad dump on Meka.

Works fine on the 128-in-1 cart too...

Edited by jblenkle

Super Cobra - 93,860

post-9212-0-88484100-1323368479_thumb.gif

Got lucky on this one. My PC joystick is too sensitive to play this game well especially in some of the tighter areas where you are too close to the walls. Not quite the undocumented 99,000+ I had on the real ColecoVision a few days ago before my trigger-happy finger restarted the game upon losing my last life, but close. I'll go back to the real CV as soon as my hand uncramps!!! This is actually one game I prefer playing on the real machine.

Just curious...has anyone else played this game on MESS? I have tried and tried, but can't get the 2nd fire button to work in MESS. Is this something I am doing wrong or a fault within MESS itself? Very few Coleco games actually use the 2nd fire button for a different function so maybe MESS doesn't recognize it. Anyone know for sure?

Joe,

Yes, I've tried it in MESS with the same result. There is no gun. I actually reported this to the MESS team a long time ago and I think that it has to do with an error in the driver for Colecovision. It should be easily fixable but it hasn't been fixed yet. I've tried to reconfigure the keys but to no avail. I think this is the only game that does not work correctly in MESS for Colecovision. At least it's the only one that I've come across. It's too bad as I like MESS and use it a lot.

I like the ADAM emulation in MESS as well but they screwed up the ADAM emulation after version 141. I use version 141 and the ADAM emulation works quite well but alas Super Cobra does not work as it has garbled graphics on startup. I like the ADAM emulation because you can often use the mouse as the Roller Controller, etc.

Great score on Super Cobra, BTW.

Chuck