IGNORED

The Byte Before Christmas Label Contest!

Byte Knight

Yes, there is a shortage of PCBs to produce this and some other games (Stay Frosty 2 and Star Castle Arcade being the others). These games either use additional RAM (in the case of The Byte Before Christmas, it's a SARA-based game), or use the DPC+ mode of the Melody. I'm waiting on A) more Melody boards and B) some software I can use in order to test a new board I can produce myself (suitable for most bankswitch games, as well as SARA-based games).Trust me, I'd like to see this and the other games out as much as you do, but my hands are currently tied. I'm going to release all three of these games together, regardless of the holiday season, as soon as I have suitable parts...Al

Would this shortage extend to Stella's Stocking as well? I'm not sure what board that uses. Thanks for the clarification Al!

Yes, there is a shortage of PCBs to produce this and some other games (Stay Frosty 2 and Star Castle Arcade being the others). These games either use additional RAM (in the case of The Byte Before Christmas, it's a SARA-based game), or use the DPC+ mode of the Melody. I'm waiting on A) more Melody boards and B) some software I can use in order to test a new board I can produce myself (suitable for most bankswitch games, as well as SARA-based games).

Trust me, I'd like to see this and the other games out as much as you do, but my hands are currently tied. I'm going to release all three of these games together, regardless of the holiday season, as soon as I have suitable parts.

..Al

Thank you for the update Al and for all your hard work getting these homebrews out.

I've been out of the 2600 homebrew scene for a while but this thread has got me interested in the holiday themed games. Are these all of the ones that are released and available at the AA store? Am I missing others?

• Toyshop Trouble
  • Reindeer Rescue
  • Stella's Stocking (currently unavailable)

Would this shortage extend to Stella's Stocking as well? I'm not sure what board that uses. Thanks for the clarification Al!

I believe Stella's Stocking is a vanilla 64k bankswitch with no additional RAM or DSP whatever. Zippy the Porcupine will also utilize the same board when it gets released.

Glad to hear The Byte Before Christmas, Stay Frosty II, and Star Castle are coming out regardless of holiday season. I'll be picking up all three of these games along with Riendeer Rescue and ToyShop Trouble regardless of release date. I originally picked up Stella's Stocking in May 2012 as my first Atari homebrew purchase, so I still view the games, Christmas themed or not, as presents to be enjoyed year round. Maybe they'll be here in time for my birthday (Jan 24th). :D

I also want to add that minigame collections are generally a great value for homebrews, because even if you don't like one game but still enjoy the others, it doesn't feel like a waste of money. The Minigame 2005 and the upcoming Pinata homebrew collection also come highly recommended if you enjoy minigame comps. ;)

Edited by stardust4ever

• 9 months later...

Boxes, artwork, everything is done. We are currently waiting on Albert to produce carts. Nothing new has been added to the store since the Portland Expo last year. Albert says he's not attending this year, so no need to wait to release the games. 2014 has been very dry so far as AA releases.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

:thumbsup:

This one will detect paddles when you plug them in and press the button, and hitting select in the PAL version will swap between PAL60 and PAL. The instruction bit of the text was updated to reference these changes. Also, it looks like instead of "you fail", it says "no hiscore".

I don't believe there's anything else different, but I'll let Tomas confirm.

• 6 years later...

Happy Holidays! ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing The Byte Before Christmas on tomorrow's (Fri Dec 25) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

230908794_20201225-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.9c8a648fe09cc36d35053cb39d0caf35.jpg